Thread: Gen 2 engine

Gen 2 engine

Hey guys, I understand that the 2000 models are "not as desirable" for what I expect are a number of reasons like no abs and no longer forged engines, among other things that I am not aware of. With respect to the forged issue, what exactly was no longer forged?

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California

That's such bullshit I'm gonna puke...

Take a read of this thread, especially Bill Pemberton's comments - as he actually knows what he's talking about:

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads...tch-from-a-911

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    That's right the 1996 to 1999 engines had ABS fitted to the camshaft. In 2000 they changed the camshaft to a smoother profile, these Engines no longer needed the ABS. As for the forged issue the power steering pump brackets had a history of failing on the engines so they changed them. Some Say the change from 17" Wheels to 18" wheels was the cause for the failure of the brackets as the wheels created more unsprung weight resistance to the bracket which was attached to the engine.
    Also All 2000 Camshafts were Hydrodipped.

Dave 6666 Will be along in a minute to confirm this.

Last edited by Fatboy 18; 01-10-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks for the info guys, I honestly found it hard to believe that engineers would change anything on a car like the Viper without thoroughly considering all of the potential ups and downs. It's unfortunate that so much BS can come out of rumors and people being afraid of simple change. Glad to hear that 2000s are just as good as the rest. That's why I put (less desirable) in quotes. I'm always skeptical of hear say malarkey.
    Last edited by Adamlhelton; 01-10-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Attached Images Attached Images
    '00 GTS - Steel Grey - BC coilovers, HS roller rockers, ROE smooth tubes, Random Tech hi-flow cats, muffler delete

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    That's right the 1996 to 1999 engines had ABS fitted to the camshaft. In 2000 they changed the camshaft to a smoother profile, these Engines no longer needed the ABS. As for the forged issue the power steering pump brackets had a history of failing on the engines so they changed them. Some Say the change from 17" Wheels to 18" wheels was the cause for the failure of the brackets as the wheels created more unsprung weight resistance to the bracket which was attached to the engine.
    Also All 2000 Camshafts were Hydrodipped.

Dave 6666 Will be along in a minute to confirm this.

Love it!!!! Awesome stuff Fatboy!
    Hilarious!!!
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Carolinas
    If you like the lumpy idle of the 708 cam or plan to supercharge, go with a 99 or prior. I love the "potato potato potato" sound and the extra "shake", so I vouched for a 99....but they're all fantastic!!! Enjoy!

96-99 are better for forced induction because of the stronger pistons and 2000-2002 are better for NA builds because of the lighter and weaker pistons.

That's what I've gathered from this site anyway.

VOA Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by damstr View Post
    96-99 are better for forced induction because of the stronger pistons and 2000-2002 are better for NA builds because of the lighter and weaker pistons.

That's what I've gathered from this site anyway.
    2004 SRT-10 Vert, Belanger Exhaust, Hi Flow Cats, Headers
    2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, V-10, Fabspeed, 6-speed Gated Manual
    Past: 1995 & 2001 RT/10's; 2003 Vert; 2001 Paxton SC ACR (gone but not forgotten)