Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Gen V 2013-2015 oil consumption, RECALLS R28 & R29

To address the R28 portion of this CSN, the oil contamination issue, the engine oil, oil filter and air filter must be changed then the oil filter must be sent to FCA for analysis.
    If FCA’s analysis of the oil filter is positive for debris, the dealer will contact the customer to schedule replacement of the engine and related oil cooler components. If a new engine is not required, the dealer will contact the customer to inform them that they do not need to return to the dealership.
    To address R29 portion of this CSN, the oil consumption issue, an updated oil management system must be installed which includes a new valve cover assembly with a relocated make up air (MUA) fitting and new baffle.
    Last edited by jaxtk; 02-02-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxtk View Post
    New recall on all 2013-2015 Gen V. Recall # R29, fix for oil consumption, new left valve cover and breather hose.
    Interesting, thanks. I guess I'll get that in the mail.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    There's actually two recalls for this: R28 Engine Oil Contamination & Consumption, R29 Engine Oil Consumption. The PDFs for the recalls are linked in Mopar Owner Connect but not downloadable yet.
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Can we just pick up the parts, or does a dealer have to install?
    Comp Coupe VCC#77 - Complete Performance Motorsports
    2017 Vooodoo II ACR-E, 2009 ACR
    2014 Viper GTS & 1996 Viper GTS Twin Turbo - Gone, but not forgotten.

Just went to owner connect, and Tony is correct, they are there, with "parts available" but no PDF yet. I wonder what the difference between them is.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Enthusiast
    Recall R29 Parts
    CEAFR291AA Kit, Engine Oil Consumption
    Each kit contains the following components:
    Quantity Description
    1 Cover, Cylinder Head Left Side
    1 Cover, Ignition Coil Left Side
    1 Foam Block
    1 Hose, MUA
    05038041AA Filter, Oil
    68171066PA Oil, Engine – 11 Quarts, 0W40 (MS 12633)
    68307497AA Package, Oil Filter Inspection
    05038070AA Filter, Air
    Last edited by jaxtk; 02-03-2016 at 09:06 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

Dealer has to do it, also includes oil & filter change
    No free oil change for you

Enthusiast
    The recall is Customer Satisfaction Notification R28/R29 Engine Oil Contamination & Consumption for 2013-2014 only it reads,
    To address the R28 portion of this CSN, the oil contamination issue, the engine oil, oil filter and air filter must be changed then the oil filter must be sent to FCA for analysis. If contamination is found the customer will be notified to return and a Engine Long Block will be replaced along with oil lines and oil cooler.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    The recall is Customer Satisfaction Notification R28/R29 Engine Oil Contamination & Consumption for 2013-2014 only it reads,
    To address the R28 portion of this CSN, the oil contamination issue, the engine oil, oil filter and air filter must be changed then the oil filter must be sent to FCA for analysis. If contamination is found the customer will be notified to return and a Engine Long Block will be replaced along with oil lines and oil cooler.
    Wow.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Canada
    I wonder if you have to have a certain amount of mileage on the oil as a fresh change and very few miles on oil will not have much contamination in filter. Might give the wrong reading

Well this sucks.
    *SOLD*
    2015 SRT Viper - Agency Power Catless Exhaust/Arrow PCM---1999 ACR Viper---2001 Dodge Ram 1500---2011 Jeep Rubicon

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Welp..
    2009 SSG ACR Hardcore 1 of 1 before it was cool

2017 SSG ACR-eXtreme 1 of 1 after it was cool

Oh the haters are gonna have fun with this one.
    -Chris
    '16 ACR Extreme - White / Black & Red | STAGE II Heads & Cam Package |
    '14 TA - White 19/33 | VE Active Suspension | Arrow PCM | Blah, Blah, Blah(sold)

So is this a must fix issue or is the recall announcement to serve as a notification that the dealership needs to inspect your Viper to verify whether or not its affected?

I only ask because mine doesn't consume oil and the air filter is spotless.
    Last edited by 7TH_SIGN; 01-29-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    *SOLD*
    2015 SRT Viper - Agency Power Catless Exhaust/Arrow PCM---1999 ACR Viper---2001 Dodge Ram 1500---2011 Jeep Rubicon

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    A couple of obvious questions occurred to me. First, has any one looked at the left valve cover on a 2016 to see if it is different than the 2013-2015? Second, wonder if this is an issue SRT was aware of in time to make corrections before delivery of the 2016s -- I ask with a car sitting in final inspection, but I don't really expect anyone to have the answer -- just wishful thinking.

Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

2016 is different. Talked about in the catch can thread.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by donk_316 View Post
    2016 is different. Talked about in the catch can thread.
    Thanks
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrezults View Post
    Oh the haters are gonna have fun with this one.
    Why? Shouldn't this calm people down about the engine issues? Sounds like Dodge is looking to find engines with issues...
    2015 Silver SRT (Sold)
    2013 White SRT + Corsa Exhaust (Sold)

Wow this is impressive of Dodge.

Acknowledge there is an issue, provide a diagnosis and a fix, to include a new motor, prior to a failure. That's what I call really stepping up and taking care of owners. So they can verify your car doesn't have an issue and apply a fix and you're good, or that you do and will replace the motor before you might have an issue. Should give every owner extra peace of mind, whether you have symptoms or not.
    McLaren 650s Spyder. Ex’s ‘16 ACR, VE H/C, '13 GTS, '99 RT/10, '03 SRT, '08 SRT. - 'God bless America, all 8.4 liters' - R.Pobst

Driving style probably has a lot to do with oil consumption especially if the issue is the valve cover/air input hose. The G2 was exactly the same, they had a similar oiling problem along with a similar hose location. I had a oil consumption issue with my 2013 early on, but, probably had six autoX event events which means 36 to 48 one mile races. The vipers have always seemed to over-oil the head area, that oil has to go some where, if you are doing hard right sweepers and/or hard braking, the oil is forced towards that air input fitting on the drivers side cover.

I do not find this recall unusual at all I just wonder why it took so long. It was an obvious problem, I installed a catch can on the drivers side early on. My mistake was believing the rings had sealed, therefore, stopping the oil consumption, perhaps, all along it was the catch can that solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 7TH_SIGN View Post
    So is this a must fix issue or is the recall announcement to serve as a notification that the dealership needs to inspect your Viper to verify whether or not its affected?

I only ask because mine doesn't consume oil and the air filter is spotless.
    Self tuned Stock/HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA= +1000)
    Arrow Heads & Cam/9 Liter
    (Sold) 1997 Gen II Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    Why? Shouldn't this calm people down about the engine issues? Sounds like Dodge is looking to find engines with issues...
    People have been clammering for an answer- and now we have it. I'm glad Dodge finally stepped up and took responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Wow this is impressive of Dodge.

Acknowledge there is an issue, provide a diagnosis and a fix, to include a new motor, prior to a failure. That's what I call really stepping up and taking care of owners. So they can verify your car doesn't have an issue and apply a fix and you're good, or that you do and will replace the motor before you might have an issue. Should give every owner extra peace of mind, whether you have symptoms or not.
    What I was thinking as well. Unfortunate that this has to happen, but better than not happening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I do not find this recall unusual at all I just wonder why it took so long. It was an obvious problem, I installed a catch can on the drivers side early on. My mistake was believing the rings had sealed, therefore, stopping the oil consumption, perhaps, all along it was the catch can that solved the problem.
    That's a good question, I also wonder why it took so long. At least they are recognizing it, but I don't think they had much choice.

There are a good amount of Vipers out there being run hard with zero issues, N/A, nitrous, and TT's. Interesting...
    Last edited by 7TH_SIGN; 01-29-2016 at 11:34 PM.
    *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    Oh yes, the owners of course. I applaud them for doing this, finally giving relief to the oil consumption/blown motor problem questions, however, I suspect we will inevitably find more of them with issues since they are now 'hunting' for them. Either way, it had to be done, but now it puts official light on the previously speculated, unverified problem. In the years to come, people looking to buy that are uneducated will just refer to these years as "the bad years" because of the engine oil/replacement recall a friend of a friend told them about...I remember looking to buy a '14 GT3 and every Tom, Dick and Harry told me to stay away from the '14's because of the engine replacements and that they will not hold value. It's amazing how diluted information becomes as it gets spread around.
    Last edited by Rapidrezults; 01-29-2016 at 11:22 PM.
    -Chris
    '16 ACR Extreme - White / Black & Red | STAGE II Heads & Cam Package |
    '14 TA - White 19/33 | VE Active Suspension | Arrow PCM | Blah, Blah, Blah(sold)

Maybe the thread title should be changed to Gen V 2013-2014 oil consumption.

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast