Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 31 of 31
  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
    I think we have a lot of concern going on really over nothing. When you import the car, take it to a Viper mechanic, have him do all the tests that would be done at the smog check, fix any issues, and then take it to the real test. I can't think of any issue that would come up beyond a computer calibration issue or where someone has removed the catalytic converters. If they aren't there or don't flow correctly, it should be easily fixable with minimal cost. I hate to be an environmentalist on this but there's no good reason to remove the cats.
    Thanks Atari. Many Viper owners remove the cats to prevent burning/bubbling of the sills, along with many other modifications that will preclude passing of the emissions test. While mechanics can usually remedy any issues to pass our emissions requirements, it's not always that easy or inexpensive. I was recently talking to Dan and he was unable to help a fellow Viper owner pass the emissions test. The purpose of the post was to get input, feedback, and suggestions from those who have purchased a vehicle out of state and successfully passed our emissions requirements. I absolutely appreciate your input and answering my questions earlier. Wish me luck! Thanks again

    Quote Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
    Atari, while I agree with you regarding the "cats" at least hi flows. It's just more hassle and money that most people want to deal with after a purchase. Over the years all you hear about are guys yanking the "Cats". I'd say buying a used car, particularly an out of state car, increases the likely hood that they won't be there. Since the OP mentioned the whole emissions deal, it's better to over inform than be an unhappy buyer.
    Thanks Cam. Just trying to do my homework

    Quote Originally Posted by harley56 View Post
    Atari - Not sure if you are referring to 49 state vehicles with less than 7500 miles, but you cannot import a 49 state car with less than 7500 miles into California, take it to a mechanic and have them install the necessary California compliant parts. If you could many would. Also, if the vehicle's "Vehicle Emissions Control Information" sticker does not state it meets California emissions the DMV inspector will disallow the vehicle, although in some cases the sticker is available to purchase.
    Thanks Harley. That's what my research had told me...that if a vehicle does not have the VECI sticker indicating that it meets CA emissions, it couldn't be registered here in CA. I thought that is what constitutes a "49 state" vehicle??? If that sticker dictates that it is in fact a "49 state" vehicle, does the 7500 miles rule apply?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    California sucks balls.

    That, that's about all I have to say.

    Good luck with your search.
    Hello 99! Thanks. I'll keep on searching. Yeah, that's what we get for living in the sunshine state Great weather and a lot of limitations for us car enthusiasts. I've been messing with my vehicles for the past 35 years and definitely can't do the same type of modifications like I did back then Oh well, it is what it is and I'll make the best of it. Thanks again!

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by harley56 View Post
    Atari - Not sure if you are referring to 49 state vehicles with less than 7500 miles, but you cannot import a 49 state car with less than 7500 miles into California, take it to a mechanic and have them install the necessary California compliant parts. If you could many would. Also, if the vehicle's "Vehicle Emissions Control Information" sticker does not state it meets California emissions the DMV inspector will disallow the vehicle, although in some cases the sticker is available to purchase.
    Nope, was referring to those with more than 7,500 miles.

    I expect the rule will change at some point though to allow for classic cars with low miles. They rules designed for new or almost new cars, just poorly worded. I don't recall the specifics but there is an exception for non-compliant cars so long as they are driven less than 2,500 miles a year. If a car has more than 7,500 miles it doesn't matter what the original emissions sticker says, if it passes emissions now (which is easy to do if you have catalytic converts on your car), then car is in.
    Last edited by Atari_Prime; 06-10-2016 at 10:39 AM.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post


    Thanks Harley. That's what my research had told me...that if a vehicle does not have the VECI sticker indicating that it meets CA emissions, it couldn't be registered here in CA. I thought that is what constitutes a "49 state" vehicle??? If that sticker dictates that it is in fact a "49 state" vehicle, does the 7500 miles rule apply?
    You are correct on your understanding of the 7500 mile rule. If the sticker states "49 State" need 7500+ miles and meet 49 state standards. Smog station will default to 49 state standards when VIN is entered.

  4. #29
    Hi all, I know it an old thread, but I dont like opening new ones, just for one simple question.
    So I come from Europe, and in most of Europe you need to know CO2 emissions of the car in order to pay "import" tax.
    Does anybody know those numbers on ether GTS or RT-10 (gen2)?

    As you can see I am interested in importing one from USA to Europe. I have checked the numbers in my country, and there is only one 94' RT-10, no other Viper in country

  5. #30
    Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Fatboy 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South of London, Surrey
    Posts
    7,205
    Quote Originally Posted by noucamp90 View Post
    Hi all, I know it an old thread, but I dont like opening new ones, just for one simple question.
    So I come from Europe, and in most of Europe you need to know CO2 emissions of the car in order to pay "import" tax.
    Does anybody know those numbers on ether GTS or RT-10 (gen2)?

    As you can see I am interested in importing one from USA to Europe. I have checked the numbers in my country, and there is only one 94' RT-10, no other Viper in country
    Which country are you located in?

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    Which country are you located in?
    Slovenia


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •