Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New Jersey

Having a problem trying to fill fuel tank.

The last 3 times I filled up I only got 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I always bump my own and today tried to let it sit for a few minutes and tried to add additional fuel to no avail. Any suggestions?
    2013 GTS, 2018 Trackhawk,2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2010 HARLEY SUPER GLIDE CUSTOM

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    There's always been problems with older versions. Did you try inverting the fuel handle?
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2014 SRT8 JGC Closed Roof (Gone and missed)
    2018 Range Rover Sport Dynamic
    Resident Misanthrope

Mine is touchy as well. Depends on the nozzle style. The station I use the most takes almost 7 minutes to get half a tank in, and I have to jiggle it just right. Insert just the tip, dribble it to get it going, and then slowly let it drizzle in. Not making a joke here, with these vapor-recapture nozzles here in PA, it's the only way.

My Ram is easy though, so go figure.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    Mine is hit or miss. Sometimes a full tank, sometimes 3/4.

At least it doesn't puke fuel all over your car when its full like my SRT10 does.....really really annoying.
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2005 SRT10 Ram- lowered, T56 conversion, B&B longtubes, many other upgrades (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT - 2020 Dodge Charger Hellcat Widebody

Yea it's the car, not you. Like posted above, sometimes it's fine, sometimes, it's stubborn.
    McLaren 650s Spyder. Ex’s ‘16 ACR, VE H/C, '13 GTS, '99 RT/10, '03 SRT, '08 SRT. - 'God bless America, all 8.4 liters' - R.Pobst

when mine started that the vent line from tank that runs close to the fuse box on drivers side was partially collapsed from exhaust heat. i replaced it and fills perfectly again. check that plastic tube close to main harness especially in areas where it bends.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

Turn the handle upside down....some stations are worse than others. I find Chevron to have the most finicky pumps.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    I had this problem on my GTS at my local station. Some other stations it was fine. My local station changed all their pumps and now no problem. Do check the EVAP plastic line that runs by the fuse box as stated above. If you have headers there is a very good chance it is melted. Mine melted open on my TA. Use rubber gas line to fix it and route it behind the fuse box.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    I had this problem on my GTS at my local station. Some other stations it was fine. My local station changed all their pumps and now no problem. Do check the EVAP plastic line that runs by the fuse box as stated above. If you have headers there is a very good chance it is melted. Mine melted open on my TA. Use rubber gas line to fix it and route it behind the fuse box.

if it melts all the way thru probably wont affect gas being put in cause it just vents where the hole is although not desirable it will allow fill up. mine actually collapsed in the curve around fuse box and almost closed not allowing it to vent and thus not fill up. btw, i am not running headers it was on my ta2.0. i fixed mine with some 3/8" aluminum gas line but rubber works too!

I have a lot of issues filling mine as well. Most of the time, it doesn't even start pumping. I figured out that it has to do with the pump design. I can usually spot visually which ones will give me issue. I only put Chevron in my car and Chevron seems to be converting more and more to these "silent" pumps where you don't hear the pressure or fuel running through them. These are the ones that refuse to fill my car up. So I solved it by just pulling back on the vapor guard to trick the pump into thinking the nozzle is inserted all the way. You have to hold it back the entire time because if you let go the pump stops again.

Give that a try and let me know if it works for you.

The easiest cure is to move to a state that doesn't use the vapor recovery nozzles. I had about 20 years of miserable experience with these prior to moving out of my home state of CA 10 years ago.
    2015 Comp Blue TA 2.0 #001

With my car, it seems that the lower the fuel level gets, the more prone the car is to a hard fil, especially on a hot day. Just guessing, but, the hotter fuel creates more vapor?

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    The easiest cure is to move to a state that doesn't use the vapor recovery nozzles. I had about 20 years of miserable experience with these prior to moving out of my home state of CA 10 years ago.
    Self tuned Stock/HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA= +1000)
    Arrow Heads & Cam/9 Liter
    (Sold) 1997 Gen II Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Huh, the only issue I have is when I pull the nozzle out it spits gas out...on my car, the ground and once on another Viper owner I just met.

I turn the nozzle upside down now and wait and that seems to work. Just at some stations though.
    2013 GTS Adrenaline Red, Black Venom Wheels
    04 SVT Cobra - sold
    FRS

Quote Originally Posted by LmeaViper View Post
    Huh, the only issue I have is when I pull the nozzle out it spits gas out...on my car, the ground and once on another Viper owner I just met.

I turn the nozzle upside down now and wait and that seems to work. Just at some stations though.
    You sure that pouring gas on me was accidental? Anyway, I forgive you.
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TA Two Oh View Post
    You sure that pouring gas on me was accidental? Anyway, I forgive you.
    Haha, I wondered if you would see this post.
    2013 GTS Adrenaline Red, Black Venom Wheels
    04 SVT Cobra - sold
    FRS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbygda View Post
    if it melts all the way thru probably wont affect gas being put in cause it just vents where the hole is although not desirable it will allow fill up. mine actually collapsed in the curve around fuse box and almost closed not allowing it to vent and thus not fill up. btw, i am not running headers it was on my ta2.0. i fixed mine with some 3/8" aluminum gas line but rubber works too!
    Exactly, I've heard of others whose line melted closed preventing fueling. Mine melted open so no problem filling it up.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Exactly, I've heard of others whose line melted closed preventing fueling. Mine melted open so no problem filling it up.
    Sounds like the vent line (or vapor recovery tube as FCA calls it). The line on my 14 TA melted shut and it was difficult to add fuel until I replaced the line. My advice for everyone is insulate that vent line as least where it runs by the exhaust manifold or header on the driver's side. This is especially so if you have headers or track the car with the stock manifolds.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New Jersey

Thanks for all the great ideas on this issue. I did look at the vapor recovery tube and it looks perfect. I will try a few of these idea's out and will update with results.
    2013 GTS, 2018 Trackhawk,2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2010 HARLEY SUPER GLIDE CUSTOM

Quote Originally Posted by SRT BILL View Post
    The last 3 times I filled up I only got 3/4 of a tank of fuel. I always bump my own and today tried to let it sit for a few minutes and tried to add additional fuel to no avail. Any suggestions?
    I tried my first fill up today on my new 2017. I had to very lightly squeeze the handle to get it to pump at all and even then I gave up after 5 gallons. What the hay is up with that? I guess I'll have to shop around for the right station with the Viper friendly nozzles. I wish there were still Full Service gas stations like there were back in the day.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    I had issues with my 08 and 09, I always fill with the handle upside down and never have problems since switching to that.
    2009 SSG ACR Hardcore 1 of 1 before it was cool
    2010 1:33 ACR Hardcore
    2017 SSG ACR-eXtreme 1 of 1 after it was cool

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Granny View Post
    I tried my first fill up today on my new 2017. I had to very lightly squeeze the handle to get it to pump at all and even then I gave up after 5 gallons. What the hay is up with that? I guess I'll have to shop around for the right station with the Viper friendly nozzles. I wish there were still Full Service gas stations like there were back in the day.
    My wife and I own a convenience store....try putting the nozzle in at different depths and slowly squeeze the handle... see if that works. Its not only the Vipers that have this problem.

Jeff

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    I've had this happen on a couple of road trips after extended periods of driving. What worked for me - and I can't say this is a good answer, but it worked - was to hold the spring-loaded nozzle flapper valve in the fill neck open with a screwdriver for 15-30 seconds. Then I re-inserted the pump nozzle and had no trouble filling the tank. It was almost like pressure had built up in the tank and was causing the pump to shut off. Not sure if my solution was the fix or if I was just too close to Area 51.

Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaViper View Post
    My wife and I own a convenience store....try putting the nozzle in at different depths and slowly squeeze the handle... see if that works. Its not only the Vipers that have this problem.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff, will do.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New Jersey

Most recently I was able to get a full tank by starting off filling at a the slowest rate as possible. I like the idea Pappy has of venting or burping the tank first. I'll give this a try.

Mine is a 13 and the only issue i have is trying not to let fuel come out and run down the side when extracting nozzle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast