Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by texasram View Post
    Mine is a 13 and the only issue i have is trying not to let fuel come out and run down the side when extracting nozzle
    Next time you pump gas look on the underside of the nozzle and you will see a vent hole in the nozzle (or at least the ones we have do). After releasing the handle, wait a couple more seconds for all the fuel to come out of the nozzle and then tilt the handle up and slowly remove the nozzle. Should work.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaViper View Post
    Next time you pump gas look on the underside of the nozzle and you will see a vent hole in the nozzle (or at least the ones we have do). After releasing the handle, wait a couple more seconds for all the fuel to come out of the nozzle and then tilt the handle up and slowly remove the nozzle. Should work.

Jeff
    Great advice should save me from grabbing towel at pump every time

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I've had this happen on a couple of road trips after extended periods of driving. What worked for me - and I can't say this is a good answer, but it worked - was to hold the spring-loaded nozzle flapper valve in the fill neck open with a screwdriver for 15-30 seconds. Then I re-inserted the pump nozzle and had no trouble filling the tank. It was almost like pressure had built up in the tank and was causing the pump to shut off. Not sure if my solution was the fix or if I was just too close to Area 51.

Ok with this problem. This never happened in my pickup.

Pappy
    Ok so insert the screw driver down inside the fill neck? Or just at the opening? Sorry to sound confused but this is my first encounter with this problem. My truck never has any problems with fill up.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Granny View Post
    Ok so insert the screw driver down inside the fill neck? Or just at the opening? Sorry to sound confused but this is my first encounter with this problem. My truck never has any problems with fill up.
    About 1 inch down inside the fill neck there is a spring-loaded door that the gas pump nozzle pushes in. Also, just above the spring loaded door, at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, you will find two black plastic tabs that stick into the fill neck. They are pushed back when you insert the pump nozzle. Sometimes I can't push the spring loaded door open unless I also push the two black tabs out toward the outer diameter of the fill neck. (I hope that makes sense). I can push all three (the two black tabs and the spring loaded door) in with my thumb, then I use a screw driver to hold the flapper door open so I can get my big fat thumb out of the way.

Pappy

Gas door.jpg
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    About 1 inch down inside the fill neck there is a spring-loaded door that the gas pump nozzle pushes in. Also, just above the spring loaded door, at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, you will find two black plastic tabs that stick into the fill neck. They are pushed back when you insert the pump nozzle. Sometimes I can't push the spring loaded door open unless I also push the two black tabs out toward the outer diameter of the fill neck. (I hope that makes sense). I can push all three (the two black tabs and the spring loaded door) in with my thumb, then I use a screw driver to hold the flapper door open so I can get my big fat thumb out of the way.

Pappy

Gas door.jpg
    Ok I get it. Thanks for clarifying. I went to 2 Shell stations today and had NO problems at all. One in Englewood fl and one in Naples. Raceway was impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaViper View Post

Jeff
    Big thanks, i tried it during fill up last night and it worked, never knew that little hole was there lol

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia

Does anyone have the part number for the plastic tube that are melting? I think I need to replace it. With insulation of course.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Rookie question: If the vent tube is damaged and pressure builds up in the tank, can't that become dangerous on hot days?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnNoffy View Post
    Does anyone have the part number for the plastic tube that are melting? I think I need to replace it. With insulation of course.
    Just use 1/2 rubber gas line. Cut out the melted part of the plastic line and use the gas line in its place. Use a longer piece so you can re-route it. Route it behind the fuse box not in front of it. Get it away from the engine as much as you can and you will never have the problem again. If you replace the line with an original plastic one it will just melt again even with insulation.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    I have trouble filling my Gen 5 Vipers and my SRT Grand Cherokee at my local station. No problem at a Shell station a little further away. There is a trick you can try that works on my cars. Put the nozzle in and turn it 90 or 180 degrees. You have to hold it in that position but it does fill the tank completely.

Just fell victim to 3/4 tank syndrome. Gonna try the upside down technique next fuel trip.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    Just fell victim to 3/4 tank syndrome. Gonna try the upside down technique next fuel trip.
    I would still check the plastic EVAP line to make sure it hasn't melted closed.

No evap leak. Tried a different gas pump & got the tank completely full.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

Rather than start a new thread I figure I’ll just post it here.

It looks like all gas pumps in California has to have these vapor lock type gas pumps. When I first got my Viper, I could not pump gas unless I held the vapor lock mechanism back. Kind of a hassle, so I searched the internet for a solution. I stumbled upon the Nozzle Buddy. Essentially it locks the vapor lock back. The gas pump still stops once it reaches the full level, so no worries about overfilling.
    A27F2C75-4F0F-4BC0-AD19-CD0A4CE9F11D.jpg
    2014 SRT Viper TA - White #21
    1993 Mazda RX-7 - CYM

Here in SoCal, only Chevron has this problem.

Shell, Mobil, Costco ...no problems whatsoever.

Its the gas pump not the car.
    2008 Viper SRT-10 Very Viper Orange Coupe * The Orange Lure (Black On Orange)
    2015 Porsche - Mid-Engine Cayman w/PDK / Black * The Black Caiman (Orange On Black)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12