Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

To use or not to use 6th gear

Ok so here's the deal, the consensus of opinion among the instructors at Skip Barber Driving School is that 6th gear should only be used if you're going over 100 mph...which I will NEVER do. Does that sound right? I have found that my awesome car loves 5th gear. She purrs like a...well not a house cat kitten...more like a Sabre Toothed Tiger kitten. My TT Stealths were comfy in 6th over 60 mph. I know, comparing apples to oranges but still. Any input is greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome and I value your experience. Thanks.

Michelle

I think the first thing that has to be stated is which 6th gear ratio you are referring to, 0.63 or 0.50?
    Last edited by EZ 2B Green; 11-04-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    2008 SSG Roadster (Sold)
    2017 Afterburner Orange GTC
    Thank you Detroit!

At 60 mph in 6th gear, you should be around 1700 rpm, so if you're just cruising I would definitely say use 6th gear. However, I know most car companies advise you to vary your engine's rpms (basically don't set cruise control for 2+ hours) to break them in properly, so maybe that's why the Skip Barber folks were advising you to not use 6th. Can't really think of another reason.
    You're rapidly becoming the biggest asshat on the forum and that covers a lot of ground. Congrats. -ViperJon

I object. The first question should be, why the heck..... how the heck will you never go over 100mph??? I don't think I've ever taken my car anywhere and not gone over 100mph! That's normal right?

Quote Originally Posted by EZ 2B Green View Post
    I think the first thing that has to be stated is which 6th gear ratio you are referring to, 0.63 or 0.50?
    Um...ok you got me there. How do I determine which one?

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    6th gear is perfect for highway cruising and fuel economy. It can also drop rpms below the exhaust drone zone depending on vehicle speed. Were the instructors saying otherwise, or were they just referring to not using 6th on track?
    2014 SRT Black TA, 82,000 kms. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!
    2019 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 22,000 kms. Sometimes you want to fly under the radar...and fly it does!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth78 View Post
    I object. The first question should be, why the heck..... how the heck will you never go over 100mph??? I don't think I've ever taken my car anywhere and not gone over 100mph! That's normal right?
    Stealth78, talking about speed on the internet is like talking about Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is, you don't talk about Fight Club.
    2008 SSG Roadster (Sold)
    Thank you Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by NT-ACR View Post
    At 60 mph in 6th gear, you should be around 1700 rpm, so if you're just cruising I would definitely say use 6th gear. However, I know most car companies advise you to vary your engine's rpms (basically don't set cruise control for 2+ hours) to break them in properly, so maybe that's why the Skip Barber folks were advising you to not use 6th. Can't really think of another reason.
    Ok yeah that makes sense. But they seriously said they don't even use 6th when they go OVER 100. Maybe that's just racing. I'll use it with the appropriate rpm's. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Stealth78, talking about speed on the internet is like talking about Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is, you don't talk about Fight Club.
    Yes that.

6th is worthless under 2000 rpm with a big cam. Cruising 75-80mph it's perfect.
    2016 Comp Blue ACR-E with Viper Exchange stage 2 heads/cam kit, ARH catless exhaust, Calvo Heat shield, Calvo upper radiator hard pipe, Cavlo motor mounts, and IPSCO underdrive pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Granny View Post
    It depends on the car. The 0.50 started in MY 2015 in certain Viper models (i.e. the GTS). I think GTC's without the T/A package and all the ACR/ACR Extremes have 0.50. SRT's have 0.63
    2008 SSG Roadster (Sold)
    Thank you Detroit!

I forgot about that but he's referring to the change in 6th gear for all 2015 non-TA or ACR models (if I remember correctly). They got an even longer gear ratio which dropped the engine's rpms even lower than what I stated. My stats are the gearing for all 2014 or earlier cars.

If I remember correctly, you have a 2016? GTC which means you would have the longer gears.
    You're rapidly becoming the biggest asshat on the forum and that covers a lot of ground. Congrats. -ViperJon

Quote Originally Posted by Dfunk View Post
    6th is worthless under 2000 rpm with a big cam. Cruising 75-80mph it's perfect.

Don't take this the wrong way, but how is this relevant? She has a (to my knowledge) stock car.

Ok yeah that makes sense. But they seriously said they don't even use 6th when they go OVER 100. Maybe that's just racing. I'll use it with the appropriate rpm's. Thanks.
    That is strange and you're welcome.

It depends on the car. The 0.50 started in MY 2015 in certain Viper models (i.e. the GTS). I think GTC's without the T/A package and all the ACR/ACR Extremes have 0.50. SRT's have 0.63
    Mine is a 2017 GTC. And stock.

6th is finally functional and not an overdrive gear like in prior gens. It's use is appropriate on the highway on a road trip. RPMs drop, engine works less and mpg increases. 5th is usually just fine though. You do need to be up there in speed to hit 6th
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

Roger that!

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    6th is finally functional and not an overdrive gear like in prior gens. It's use is appropriate on the highway on a road trip. RPMs drop, engine works less and mpg increases. 5th is usually just fine though. You do need to be up there in speed to hit 6th
    Even though 6th is now used to obtain the cars top speed technically 5th and 6th are still overdrive gears as 4th gear is still 1:1.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    I use 6th over 50 mph.
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2021 Dodge Ram 2500 Limited Cummins 4x4 (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT - 2020 Dodge Charger Hellcat Widebody

Definitely different gearing between my old '13 and the new '15. The '15 has a taller gear in 6th. Less drone too.

Banging 4th is my top gear on the track. No where near 5th or 6th. On the highway, 6th is a nice cruising gear especially on a road trip or rally. Good point of how gearing changed a bit during the fifth generation model years.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

I drove interstate for a 2 hour trip today. I took your advice and 6th was great pretty much the whole trip. I watched my rpm's and shifted accordingly. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I like 6th in my 13, it's actually usable. My 2003 6th was good only at 70+ - did give me 22+ mpg though. 6th in my 13 is good at 60, and still have some passing power without downshifting.

So Granny, how are you enjoying the new beast overall?
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPete View Post
    I use 6th over 50 mph.
    You to? we have too much in common, first how we wash our cars and now how we drive

I think this info was only for the track, they were not speaking of street use

Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    I like 6th in my 13, it's actually usable. My 2003 6th was good only at 70+ - did give me 22+ mpg though. 6th in my 13 is good at 60, and still have some passing power without downshifting.

So Granny, how are you enjoying the new beast overall?
    Oh man I absolutely LOVE driving this amazing piece of eye candy!! Fun, exciting, an attention getter for sure! You guys weren't exaggerating! It shifts smooth, the ride is NOT uncomfortable at all for a car of this caliber. I hate NOT driving my car. Any excuse works...the sun is shining; it's cloudy; it's windy; the gas tank is down a gallon, better go filler up; it might rain next week or next June. Whatever. I just love looking at it in the garage even. I'm so glad I decided to have one more go around with a sports car before I'm too old to keep my license...and what a great choice I made! Thanks for asking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast