Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking a look at historical Vipers at CAAP PICS

It dawned on me that while I've been to Conner Ave twice last year, I never did a post focused on some special Vipers that have their own special place there. I'm going to break this up into two parts, so you have a little something this week to see and then I'll post the remainder next week. Hopefully someday I can shoot these cars at least one more time.

Now at some point, a lot of us have already seen these cars at one point or another. You might have seen them previously posted on the internet or featured in a magazine or at an auto show. (For instance, just today I learned that from a original Viper team member that the 89' Concept has even been to Frankfurt, Germany. Never would have guessed!) But to those that are new to Viper, I hope you enjoy these and learn a thing or two! I'm sure Maurice or Jon B can add to this thread at some point to fill any parts I may have missed, so I'll try to clue you in as much as I can to what makes these cars unique.

I'm going to start from my first trip to the plant that was the first day of ACR production. FCA had a few dozen Vipers for us media to take a looksie at and while most probably had the emotions of Bill Belicheck trying anything exciting, I was more like a five year old that had just discovered what it was like to walk into Disney World for the first time.

Anyway, lets start with these two cars. On the left, we have the championship winning #93 SRT Viper GTS-R still covered in it's make up following Petit Lemans and on the right we have the first production #91 Viper GTS-R (which is the show car that was revealed at NYIAS.) They are cornerstones to the GTS-R program and although short lived, made a pretty big impact in IMSA. It was a slow start but the guys at Riley Technologies built some awesome cars, not to forget the driver lineup was just as amazing! Names like Tommy Kendall and Indycar Champion, Ryan Hunter-Reay even piloted these cars at one point too.

7:22 and Laguna ACR's - The Gen IV ACR's were bred to take on track records, so the SRT team set up the next pair to take on Nurburgring and Laguna Seca. Before Dominik Farnbacher and Viper Exchange went back to the Ring, Dodge sent an 09' ACR with Tom Coronel behind the wheel to set a lap of 7 minutes and 22 seconds. That was the first ACR record at the Ring ever. At Laguna Seca, Chris Winkler (who's set a lot of the current ACR track records) set a lap of 1 minute 33 seconds beating the Devon GTX record, which Randy Pobst was driving. Records were being reset all over and being the fastest became very important to many manufactures.

1998 Viper GTS-R/GT-2 #007 - Although not generally consider a historic Viper compared to most the cars in the plant, I think it deserves it's own spotlight. To my knowledge this is the ONLY car that was produced with a closed NACA duct. Being that it's in the plant it must have more of a reason to be there other than that, perhaps it was a previous test car for parts or for that project but it's a GTS-R and the 7th one produced, whats not to like?

Ok now let's jump to the 2nd tour at CAAP since I had a little more time here with the historic collection than I did on the ACR press day.

#91 Oreca Viper GTS-R 24 Hours of Daytona Winner - This is probably the most iconic race Viper of them all! Back when Oreca was in charge of the Gen II GTS-R program, Viper was able to do something that no other GT car had ever been able to do in the modern era of sports car racing. Win the 24 Hours of Daytona OVERALL. First overall, first in class the #91 GTS-R of Olivier Beretta, Dominique Dupuy and Karl Wendlinger. Oreca became the only French team to ever win the race too.

'Blue Lightning' - Herb Helbig's project, this 98' GTS (yes, it's not a 96-97') painted GTS Blue with White Stripes was striped of certain bits and safety equipment was added. Herb wanted to set some land speed records. The car was classed in A/GT, which is "series production sports cars and coupes, as well as limited production cars by a recognized automobile manufacturer, which are primarily intended for high speed touring." and set the record at 193.97 mph.

1991 Dodge Viper RT/10 Indy Pace Car - The car that Shelby drove, this was a replacement for the original pace car that year, the Stealth, because the Stealth shared it's platform with the Mitsubishi 3000GT. The Indy Pace Car needed to be something more American so Team Viper spent long days and nights preparing what could very well be considered the first production based Vipers. Carrol Shelby would be the driver and it was a learning curve for the Viper team as they spent nights in Gasoline Alley preparing the car for it's big day. If you look closely, the light bar usually found on the top of most pace cars was built into the Vipers 'sports bar'.

2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Carbon Concept - 625 horsepower. Carbon fiber everywhere. Velocity stacks. Moton suspension. This was PVO's SEMA project that year and did it cause a stir and still does! There are literally so many little things about this car that you could pick out, take for instance the fans located down in front of the car to draw in cool air. Carbon fiber makes up the trunk, hard top, hood and front splitter. With the help of probably the first set of ACR appearing five spoke, forged aluminum wheels reduced the cars overall weight by 150 lbs. The engine, mostly Competition Coupe parts, puts the horsepower over 625 and those stacks put the icing on the cake under the specially designed cowl induction hood. (Now you know what the fans are for!) It's just so impressive to look at.

That's all for now! I'll post some more next week!

--RS
    Last edited by Schen; 11-06-2016 at 03:39 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Great pictures Ron.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    New Jersey
    Awesome shots Ron!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    New England
    Awesome thanks for posting

I wonder what's going to become of all those cars now. And no 7:12:13 'Ring champ car?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    And no 7:12:13 'Ring champ car?
    Nope! I would imagine Ben has that car since it was a Viper Exchange project backed by SRT.

And don't forget the cars at the WPC Museum too, where will all those go? I think a Chrysler Airflow is on loan from an owner in Canada but a lot of them are FCA vehicles, I read that the cars will be periodically displayed at HQ, on tours, and various events. There can't be much room left at Area 51!

--RS
    Last edited by Schen; 11-07-2016 at 10:44 AM.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Great pictures and nice write ups, thanks so much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    I wonder what's going to become of all those cars now. And no 7:12:13 'Ring champ car?
    Jon, that car was a raffle prize. I met the guy who won it over the weekend, he lives in Vegas.

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Good stuff, but a shame that metal floor plate plaque stand was in front of the 91 GTS-R

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    Man i love those velocity stacks.... i could really go for that intake.....

I heard from a reliable source that Dodge made 2 of those intakes.... one on that car at CAAP and another..... he wouldn't say who had it....
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2005 SRT10 Ram- lowered, T56 conversion, B&B longtubes, many other upgrades (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT - 2020 Dodge Charger Hellcat Widebody

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Minnesota
    Thanks for posting this, very awesome!
    First it was a '95 RT/10, then came the '01 GTS. Now it's a '14 GTS. They say the third time's the charm, I have to agree.

Awesome Post Ron ! That #91 Oreca car
    14' SRT Bumble Bee Sold
    98' GTS Silver/Blue
    14' Hemi Ram Express Truck

Excellent post. Well done
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

Enthusiast
    Great post. Can't wait for round 2

Regional Vice President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Great pics and Info !!!!!!!
    Support Tators Garage
    09 solid white HardCore ACR
    Baz

Ok, back to this. Sorry it took so long, I recently left my job for a new one. That starts tomorrow, pretty excited!

Where did I leave off? SRT Carbon, right.

One Lap of America GTS - There isn't much to learn about this car other than the fact it uses parts from the 98' GT2 like the front splitter and rear wing. However it did win One Lap 3 years in a row from 2000-2002.

Prepare yourselves because your about to get an eye full of the next few cars.

1995 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe Concept - Six of these were made and I believe two remain. This was the introduction to the closed coupe from the roadster we all know and love. Believe it or not, this is mostly RT/10 under it's skin, as is the dash. Yes it sits lower than that of the production cars and yes, that front fascia up front is much larger than factory. The rear of the car featured a common Sneaky Pete badge but a slim 3rd brake light bar just above it. Spare tire? Yep it had one in the trunk. No windows and door handles weren't prominent on the pillars on the concept either. A little trivia, this the the only Viper with black faced gauges too.

1989 Dodge Viper Concept - It doesn't get any more iconic than this. The one that started it all, for production to be green lighted, to folks sending in checks for it to be made. This one car made journalists stand the hairs on their skin, Chrysler built what? There's no way, they build K-cars! Then this little red gem appeared at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. There are so many dramatic differences to list here. It's V8 powered, has exhaust out the 'gills', the headlights are mounted with the hood much like today's Gen V. The mirrors wrapped around with the windshield and a fire extinguisher is mounted in the glove compartment. It is THE Viper.

1996 Dodge Viper GTS Indy 500 Pace Car - The first Viper I ever laid eyes on in person and the 2nd Viper to pace the Indy 500. Maximum Bob Lutz was behind the wheel this time around. Like the RT/10, the GTS Pace Car had some unique features. The rear light bar was mounted in the rear glass, special graphics on the doors and hood, a Dodge banner adorned the windshield and a control panel for the lights where the radio would have been is in the center console. The one other special thing about this specific car is that it's the only GTS to have a sunroof! More Viper Trivia: The Pole sitter for the 80th Indianapolis 500 was recently retired NASCAR/Indy Car driver, Tony Stewart.

I think that's all for now, I'll post another few car at the end of the week.

--RS

New to the Viper, so this is fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

Those are great pics showcasing the history of our favorite cars
    Keep them coming!
    2001 GTS ACR Yellow with black stripes. Heads By JM, ported and polished, 2.02"& 1.6" Valves. Custom Comp Cam. JMB intake, M&M headers 3"SS + cat delete. AKA Minion. My neighbors hate me...

Enthusiast
    Great photos thank you!

Thanks for posting all this up.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    I think the viper is the closest production car to concept I've ever seen. Perhaps someone can think of another but I can't. Usually you'll see a concept car that look awesome and the production car is some neutered, whipped puppy version of it.

Also, you're right. Chrysler made possibly the most punishingly boring cars at the time. The Viper came at the right time for Chrysler and the Auto industry. That concept viper will always be special.

Nice pics. Thank you! I hope the new job is going well.
    2002 Red Viper GTS...At the Great Racetrack in the Sky
    2006 Red Viper Coupe...Belangers and Corsa
    2004 Black Ram QC Hemi on 35's /Ossur Re-Flex foot & Custom Carbon Fiber Socket

Thanks so much for the photos and all the data!!! I did the factory tour last summer and will do a final tour in the spring. Now I know more about what I was looking at! Scott

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Worth a look 5 years on

enjoy the views
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Carbon Concept looks cool.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Thanks for sharing !
    And Glad to see the History preserved !
    White Mamba ,

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Great photos! It was such an awesome experience to visit that assembly plant.
    2001 Viper GTS Bumble Bee
    ROE Supercharged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast