Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Targa Tazmania 2017

Surprised this wasn't posted. Looks like its on again between the GT3 RS and Viper ACR Extreme. Love em both. Im following it on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...v-s-viper.html
    Last edited by Snakebit10; 04-26-2017 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit10 View Post
    Surprised this wasn't posted. Looks like its on again between the GT3 RS and Viper ACR Extreme. Viper is currently 17 secs behind. Seems that in the dry the GT3 RS is faster but in the wet the Viper was faster. Probably better drivers in the GT3 RS? Love em both but very surprised at the GT3 RS being faster in the dry. Im following it on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...v-s-viper.html
    Yes the Viper ACR is currently 17sec behind...another Viper ACR-Extreme. So Vipers running 1-2

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    I thought in the video highlight I saw from day one, one of the ACRs was a non extreme car. It was all silver where as the ACR-E had a black hood and is driven by Jason White.
    -2008 Venom Red ACR Hardcore

That's awesome
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

So cool. Thanks for sharing. Will be following.
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

I stand corrected. Vipers are 1-2. RS is 3rd.

And yes 1 ACR Extreme and one ACR non-Extreme from what I read. I hope both ACR and GT3 RS make it to the end with no mechanical gremlins. Epic battle all the way through with a win would be another great send off to the G.O.A.T. (ACR-E)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    Thanks for posting here. I've been following since last year but didn't think there was much interest in the group. Incredible this event, what a setting. I need to look into the rules at some point as I recall they can't actually run flat out on all the stages.

Cool too seeing the GT3RS, my second favorite current production car.
    Last edited by str5010; 04-25-2017 at 12:24 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    Cool!
    1992 RT/10 - The One & Only FIRST
    2002 ACR - Graphite / Silver Stripe 1 of 22
    2017 GTS-R - The Most Amazing and The Last

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    I stand corrected. Vipers are 1-2. RS is 3rd.

And yes 1 ACR Extreme and one ACR non-Extreme from what I read. I hope both ACR and GT3 RS make it to the end with no mechanical gremlins. Epic battle all the way through with a win would be another great send off to the G.O.A.T. (ACR-E)
    You really should edit your original post. Anyone not reading this entire thread all the way down will read the Porsche is winning when it's not
    2013 caged 803whp 9.0 liter, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10, 2018 McLaren 720s, 2020 G63, 2005 Ford GT, 2019 Megacab Dually

Looks like the snake is giving the Demon a run for its money Now a 1 minute lead. I wonder why the other ACR lost so much time to the Porsche in the dry.

asset_29745__p1bekkubns11dktlbe385bu1tt75.jpg
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    What an awesome picture. White keeps referencing his concern over tire wear. Anyone know if theyre limited on tire supply? They are running the factory kuhmo, maybe he's just concerned on wear within a longer stage away from a service area.
    Last edited by str5010; 04-26-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by str5010 View Post
    What an awesome picture. White keeps referencing his concern over tire wear. Anyone know if their limited on tire supply? They are running the factory kuhmo, maybe he's just concerned on wear within a longer stage away from a service area.
    Tires are available, I've checked into it. But under normal driving conditions those Kuhmos apparently only get about 10k miles. Driving it like a race car... significantly less.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    Quote Originally Posted by OneofOneViper View Post
    Tires are available, I've checked into it. But under normal driving conditions those Kuhmos apparently only get about 10k miles. Driving it like a race car... significantly less.
    I meant limited by the rules as in so many sets per day or is that what you were referring to?

We are certainly aware of how quickly you can go through a set of fronts on track in this car. Quick guys here are struggling to make it through more than a full day as I've read on some track surfaces.

Anyone know what class that WRX STi is in? It seems to keep winning stages. Must be a monster.

Nice to see the Viper ACR-E in front in GT2.

The non Ex ACR seems to be struggling.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    I believe they are running in GT4 but lost an hour early in the event.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the heads up with this thread. I followed the event last year and forgot about it this year.

Good views of the front running ACR and a few words from the driver on day 4, here
    Jim

Sounds like the Viper has to manage its tires in the dry so they cant go flat out like the GT3 RS can in the dry. That sucks. If I'm understanding it right the Viper is faster in the rain than the Porsche which boggles the mind lol. Glad to see both camps in good health and still running.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    If I had to render an educated guess, the Viper is quicker in the rain because of the aero and because they can push harder in the rain without as much fear of tire degradation. On anything but tight, twisting stages the ACR should be quicker than the gtrs in the dry too, but as you pointed out the viper has to limit its pace and manage tires.

I still haven't​ been able to locate the rules on tires - are competitors in this class limited to a single set of the oem tires?
    Last edited by str5010; 04-28-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Sounds like the Viper has to manage its tires in the dry so they cant go flat out like the GT3 RS can in the dry. That sucks. If I'm understanding it right the Viper is faster in the rain than the Porsche which boggles the mind lol. Glad to see both camps in good health and still running.
    They've been managing tires while maintaining their lead, and are now in a position to push hard if they need to. The win is theirs to lose.

https://targa.com.au/tc/news_details.asp?asset_id=29759

Quote Originally Posted by dewilmoth View Post
    They've been managing tires while maintaining their lead, and are now in a position to push hard if they need to. The win is theirs to lose.

Thx for the update. I cant see any of the Australian sites to get updates since my work filter is blocking them all.

Quote Originally Posted by dewilmoth View Post

Wow, non-Extreme Viper now in 2nd again. Vipers running 1-2!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by str5010 View Post
    I still haven't​ been able to locate the rules on tires - are competitors in this class limited to a single set of the oem tires?
    You probably were searching on "tires" rather than "tyres".

As I read the rules, they are limited to a total of 6 tyres for the entire event. They must be road legal during the touring stages of the event (not below wear indicators.) They do not need to be OEM type. It appears that they do not have to use OE wheels either; but, are limited to a certain variation in size from OE. PDF-2015-2017 technical regulations - Targa Tasmania
    Last edited by AZTVR; 04-28-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    You probably were searching on "tires" rather than "tyres".

They are limited to a total of 6 tyres for the entire event. They must be road legal during the touring stages of the event (not below wear indicators.) They do not need to be OEM type. It appears that they do not have to use OE wheels either; but, are limited to a certain variation in size from OE. PDF-2015-2017 technical regulations - Targa Tasmania
    good info, so in the case of the ACR - 1 spare for the front and 1 spare for the rear.

Wow. That explains why the RS is so close. They were tire managing for the start. Good info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast