Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dhx View Post
    I'm trying to learn to heal toe. I understand the concept, but my brake pedal sticks out so much further than my gas pedal that the only way to get them level is to be braking almost to the max. I've found that I can't naturally twist my ankle to the angle needed to blip the throttle, and that even when the pedal is down further I still struggle to move my ankle the way i've been shown. Am I just inexperienced, or lazy, or born with messed up ankles
    You need to make sure your seating position is correct as much as the pedals, if you can imagine if you have more weight on your right hip sitting in a chair and try to rotate your ankle its pretty hard to do, if a bit more twisted on the left you will find its much easier. On the viper i generally move the adjustable pedals all the way down and then bring them up just a tiny bid, like hit the button and let off. You can roll your foot with the viper or use your heel, i use my heel but have been doing heel toe since ive started going to the track 10 years ago so its very normal for me. Largest problem i see with students trying to heel toe is the come off the brake pedal to much while blipping, so keeping that constant brake pressure is probably harder than heel toeing the blip. You can practice on the street somewhat just for the motion, but its alot different under full braking. There are times you dont need to heel toe either, its mainly in the large brake zones where you are gearing down to 2nd, not in every turn, i also skip gears when down shifting and do it towards the end of a braking area from 5th to 2nd or 4th to 2nd, some people grab every gear on the way down, either way is fine, i find one shift/heel toe is less things to do.
    2016 Viper ACR-E

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Carolinas
    I tried again last night, and I really don't like the pedal feel and having to move my ankle/leg in a way that I don't think my bone structure can do. That plus the fact that my helmet is so uncomfortably against the roof (I am 6'0" but I have a long torso) is making me think this is not the right car to start learning on the track. I think perhaps an old boxster or cayman might be more appropriate.
    Current cars: 2014 Viper TA Orange // 1996 Viper GTS // 2014 Jeep GC Ecodiesel

Quote Originally Posted by dhx View Post
    I tried again last night, and I really don't like the pedal feel and having to move my ankle/leg in a way that I don't think my bone structure can do. That plus the fact that my helmet is so uncomfortably against the roof (I am 6'0" but I have a long torso) is making me think this is not the right car to start learning on the track. I think perhaps an old boxster or cayman might be more appropriate.
    The same battle I have too. I am jammed in the car at 6"2". The cars are fast and you're uncomfortable. Hard to learn new stuff when that's the environment.

I had a 2003 C2 Carrera and in that pedal placement was great for heel toe. The car had plenty of room for me in it. Boxster or Cayman may very well be just the same.

You could really get the mechanics of the whole thing down in another car and then try and bring over and use what you have learned in the Viper. I do like that idea.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston

Supporting Vendor
    I do it, but could not before installing that IPSCO pedal spacer that was mentioned in the first response. So much easier now.
    www.DV8motoring.com
    2014 Viper TA white #10/33 | 2013 Viper - 10.97 @ 127 mph - First 10 second Gen 5 (sold)
    2006 Viper - 9.48 @ 154 mph - 209 mph 1 mile - 187 mph 1/2-mile

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Quebec
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
    I do it, but could not before installing that IPSCO pedal spacer that was mentioned in the first response. So much easier now.
    This one ? And on wich of your car did you installed it? The TA?
    SRT Pedal ExT8.jpg
    P.A.Savignac
    Charter member 142
    2004 SRT-10, 2014 GTS

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian venom View Post
    This one ? And on wich of your car did you installed it? The TA?
    SRT Pedal ExT8.jpg
    Yes that's the one. I couldn't do a comfortable or slick heel and toe without that extension on my ACR

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    I found the heel/toe deal a lot easier to do with a full harness as apposed to just using the seat belt. As mentioned earlier in this thread you really need to have your butt planted in the seat. If you are supporting any of your weight with ether of your feet or legs it's tough. It go's without saying that a pair of driving shoes are a must with this maneuver.
    2000 GTS built/Paxton:Sold
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dmann View Post
    I am going to be working on left foot braking, especially for straights that i don't have to downshift.
    On older Gen 1 & 2 Vipers, the last thing you wanted to do was have any extra brake drag generating heat to boil the brake fluid. With the Gen3+ cars, most of those old gremlins are gone forever. You just don't know how good you have it now... Just remember that the only time the brakes cool is when your foot is OFF the brake pedal. Left foot braking can be problematic in this regard.

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    I found the heel/toe deal a lot easier to do with a full harness as apposed to just using the seat belt. As mentioned earlier in this thread you really need to have your butt planted in the seat. If you are supporting any of your weight with ether of your feet or legs it's tough. It go's without saying that a pair of driving shoes are a must with this maneuver.
    Good point, had not considered the harness helping. Guess that's next on my list.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmut View Post
    Good point, had not considered the harness helping. Guess that's next on my list.
    It dose make a difference being strapped in and your butt planted in the seat.
    BELANGER HEADERS/HI-FL0W CATS / EXHAUST/TRACTIVE SUSPENSION AND ARROW TUNE

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTENUF View Post
    It dose make a difference being strapped in and your butt planted in the seat.
    What you're saying is I'm making the exercise harder than it needs to be without a harness.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    What you're saying is I'm making the exercise harder than it needs to be without a harness.
    If you are using your feet to hold you in the seat while heel /toeing the answer is YES. You should be able to just use your left foot to keep stable and right foot should be weight free to make the shift.
    BELANGER HEADERS/HI-FL0W CATS / EXHAUST/TRACTIVE SUSPENSION AND ARROW TUNE

I too tried it and only got it right 1 out 3 or 4 tries, and I found getting it wrong slowing from 145-70 wasn't a good time to get it wrong!
    So, I licked my wounds and got an Auto-blip and now I NEVER have to worry about it! Perfect rev matches every time! I figured why not, even some manuals come with rev matching now so I don't feel like I'm cheating.

Ron
    Current:2014 GTS w/ TA 1.0 Aero,18 speaker HK, CF interior accents, S.winders-Bone stock. Past:2011 Carbon Edition C6Z06, 2009 C6Z06-Bone stock on drag radials-10.75@128.19, 2006 C6Z06-Bone stock-11.242@122.38, 10.87@127 on DR's,2003 C5Z06-Bolt ons 11.214@122.30

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Supporting Vendor

Agree with GTS Dean , but the key to heel and toe is not that one way is right and another wrong, as would not surprise me one bit that one Instructor at Bondurant would tell you one way and another be somewhat different. Having been fortunate to go to 10 different schools over the years, the best way to heel and toe is the one that is comfortable to you. It may be heel on the gas or heel on the brake , but with pedals different in a variety of machines it can be an exercise in pedal ballet. Some folks even do a roll technique and just work on practicing the dance , but once successful for your style , it will come naturally and surprisingly quite easily.

I find the Viper one of the easiest to do this with, but it has a lot to do with using my foot in a somewhat, mildly twisted position, with my heel on the gas. Have plenty of guys who do it differently , but once mastered ( and it will take time) , it often becomes quite easy to assimilate to different cars. Do the dance , reward your lap times.
    Viper and Performance Sales Manager

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    Funny enough I find it easier to do it in the ACR with my Van's rather than my driving shoes. The difference is probably that the driving shoes are narrower than the Van's. I just need to practice it with the driving shoes for awhile.
    2016 Viper ACR-E Competition Blue. 2014 Focus ST Tangerine Scream
    2005 Lotus Elise (Track Car). 2004 RAM 1500 Rumble Bee

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston
    Using the gas pedal extension helps bring the brake and gas pedal closer to the same level. Took some adjustment with the pedals at a closer plane.
    http://www.ipsco.org/Viper_files/SRT...sion%20Kit.htm

I found the same limitation with rotating my ankle to catch the gas with my heel. Instead I use half of my foot on the brake and roll the right side to catch the gas.
    Does the ipsco extension pedal work on a gen 5?
    Current: 2016 Viper ACR Extreme
    Past: 1999 Heffner Performance Viper GTS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

yes Im using it in mine
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
    Does the ipsco extension pedal work on a gen 5?
    Yup..like a charm.
    2013 GTS Adrenaline Red, Black Venom Wheels
    04 SVT Cobra - sold
    FRS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12