Results 1 to 11 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rimouski (QC)
    Posts
    49

    Convert US ugly door seat belts to Canadian seat belts

    Hi,

    I would like to know if it is doable, without doing any harm to the doors. I would say no but I don't know...

    Trying to find a Canadian-spec Viper but there's not much around, so now I got to look for some US-spec Viper and swap cluster + seat belts + DRL.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Could you explain what you mean? I have a canadian GTS, wasnt aware anything was a different with my seatbelts.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    841
    Never heard anyone complain about "ugly" US spec seat belts. That's laughable for sure.

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    169
    The gen II cars have the seatbelts mounted in the centre, and buckle close to the door....like the Canadian spec gen I RT/10. First gen US spec RT/10s had the seatbelt mount on the doors.

  5. #5
    Enthusiast Viper Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bahrain
    Posts
    325
    I have never seen a Gen1 RT/10 with Seat belts in the centre.
    1993 Dodge Viper RT/10
    Viper Red, 6200 miles

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    278
    Yep, Gen 1 Canada cars had the belts mounted like the later GTS. I considered a Canada Viper prior to getting my '96 RT. I'm sure it had something to do with seat belt law, just like the dopey door mounted belts in the early USA Vipers. If memory serves, it was expected that you'd leave the belts buckeled and simply lift them up upon entry. Remember the ridiculous motorized shoulder belts in some cars?

    When I first got my '96, it needed one of the door stanchions replaced. (The black plastic piece that meets the sport pad) The US part wasn't available, but the Canada part was...so I used one of those, but had to make a hole to attach the shoulder belt.

    So, you'd no doubt need both stanchion covers, rear bulkhead cover, and the retractors. My guess would be that the weld nuts, etc are already in the car to attach the parts. Likely doable, but not sure about parts availability.

    Thinking out loud, i know there was a "plug" to fill the spot on the door panels where the belts come through at the top....and I'd assume something similar at the bottom. I don;t think he door panels were unique...
    Last edited by Matt M, Pa; 06-19-2017 at 08:42 AM.

  7. #7
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    WV/PA
    Granger73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    392
    If you reference the ISR section of the '92-'96 parts manual you will be able to determine what is required to make the change.

  8. #8
    VOA Member
    since 2016
    Western Canada
    BrianACR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    533
    What year are you looking at? I wouldn't think it would matter if the car is over 15 years old??
    2001 GTS ACR Yellow with black stripes. AKA Minion

  9. #9
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    smhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Eastern MA
    Posts
    419
    Murcialego,

    I did this on my 94 last year.

    Off the top of my head:
    -I got the bulk head cheap, so that why I did the swap.
    -the Gen II belts I got off ebay.
    -the car is set up for both style seat belts. When you remove the bulkhead you will see foam tape. The foam tape covers the holes for the center style seat belts.
    -these holes are threaded. I don't recall the size but the bolts are available at homedepot/lowes.
    -the bolts holding the seat belt recepticle which touch the drivers right thigh have thread lock on them and it's a Torx bit, size 50 IIRC. I stripped one and it was a bear to remove.
    -the recepticles will have a wire connected to them. This is for the seat belt chime/dash light. I left these wire where they are and shunted/connected them. No more seat belt warning! If you want to keep the chime you'll need to extend the wires.
    -the spot where the center belt retractors go has a small lip and I used 3 washers on each to make them level. Again, homedepot. I don't recall the size.
    The door:
    -taking the inner panel off isnt hard. Take your time.
    -the door holds two retractors each. I wound up cutting the belts to make it easy.
    -the retractors are held in by 3 or 4 bolts a piece. When you remove them, also remove the threaded clips on the door. They'll rattle like a mofo if you dont. I think I reinstalled the bolts.
    -I removed the speakers as well, I got rid of the radio earlier.
    -the door will be crazy light afterwards.

    If I remember more I'll update.

    I don't have any pics at the moment, I keep the car in a garage a short distance from my place.

    Hope this helps and I hope you go for it.

    Tim

  10. #10
    Enthusiast GTS Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    187
    The door panels and stanchions are clean on the BUX (export) version Gen 1s. I installed new BUX panels on my 93 R/T and ran 5-points.

  11. #11
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Rimouski (QC)
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
    Never heard anyone complain about "ugly" US spec seat belts. That's laughable for sure.
    But you know I am right!

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianACR View Post
    What year are you looking at? I wouldn't think it would matter if the car is over 15 years old??
    1992-1995. It matters for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianACR View Post
    What year are you looking at? I wouldn't think it would matter if the car is over 15 years old??
    Quote Originally Posted by smhog View Post
    Murcialego,

    I did this on my 94 last year.

    Off the top of my head:
    -I got the bulk head cheap, so that why I did the swap.
    -the Gen II belts I got off ebay.
    -the car is set up for both style seat belts. When you remove the bulkhead you will see foam tape. The foam tape covers the holes for the center style seat belts.
    -these holes are threaded. I don't recall the size but the bolts are available at homedepot/lowes.
    -the bolts holding the seat belt recepticle which touch the drivers right thigh have thread lock on them and it's a Torx bit, size 50 IIRC. I stripped one and it was a bear to remove.
    -the recepticles will have a wire connected to them. This is for the seat belt chime/dash light. I left these wire where they are and shunted/connected them. No more seat belt warning! If you want to keep the chime you'll need to extend the wires.
    -the spot where the center belt retractors go has a small lip and I used 3 washers on each to make them level. Again, homedepot. I don't recall the size.
    The door:
    -taking the inner panel off isnt hard. Take your time.
    -the door holds two retractors each. I wound up cutting the belts to make it easy.
    -the retractors are held in by 3 or 4 bolts a piece. When you remove them, also remove the threaded clips on the door. They'll rattle like a mofo if you dont. I think I reinstalled the bolts.
    -I removed the speakers as well, I got rid of the radio earlier.
    -the door will be crazy light afterwards.

    If I remember more I'll update.

    I don't have any pics at the moment, I keep the car in a garage a short distance from my place.

    Hope this helps and I hope you go for it.

    Tim
    Wow, thanks a lot for that detailed answer! Why did you swap the belts?



    Thanks a lot for your input guys. I appreciate your help!


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •