Intermittent GenIII bogging

A few weeks ago, was driving my car home from getting my oil changed. The roads were wet, it began sputtering, power loss and stuff like that. Press the gas down, car was very sluggish and then would get a surge of power for a couple seconds and then act up again.

I changed the battery out for a new one since it seemed to be acting up. Dropping below 12V quickly when car was on ACC. Dropping down to 12V while driving as well.

Anyways, didn't really have the problem for a little bit but it's appeared again. Drove fine for the last few days/weeks but Tuesday it did it again on my way home. I was putting the car away and decided I'd go for a little drive again and see what was going on. It didn't to it again.

Another drive, it was running fine and then started acting up again. Passenger side seems to be the issue? That side is doing some backfiring/popping whenever the issue is present. (aside from the regular pops upon decel.)

Any suggestions? I'm guessing plugs/wires are definitely one suggestion. I JUST changed the plugs yesterday, some of them were pretty rough looking. (Car has 86,000kms on it, its the first time I've changed them since I bought it with 48,000kms.)

Here are the plugs. Driver side on left, Passenger on right. (The missing plug from that pic is pictured in the next pic)

As you can see, the rear-most plug on the passenger side was quite wet.

I'm not getting a CEL or anything when it happens... I tried an OBD-II reader but it wouldn't link up with the car. Not sure it will bring anything up anyways since the car doesn't appear to be throwing any codes.

The issue happened again today after installing the new plugs too.

Some history of the car...
    I bought it with stock cats and the Mopar/Borla 2.5" Exhaust on it.

I added a K&N intake a few years ago and changed the Exhaust to Primary cats only with straight pipes.

Last fall I gutted the Primary cats, installed new downstream O2 sensors. Got a CEL so I installed 2 spark plug non-foulers in each of those O2 sensors and haven't had the CEL since.

The car still seems to run as well as ever when the problem isn't present. Pulls strong and fast.

Anyone run into any problems like this? Any suggestions? I know plug wires should be changed, even though they appear visually alright. I don't want to tackle that job and there are no Viper techs nearby really.
    Last edited by Hammer; 1 Week Ago at 09:54 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    St. Louis
    / some of those plugs look oil fouled

I would have to agree with that statement!

Those plugs are jacked...is that porcelain cracked/flaked off? They look like something violent is going on in the combustion chamber, and I'd be worried about what the pistons looked like.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes, 5-Spokes
    MCS Shocks | Eibach Springs (500/800 F/R) | HPTuners | AEM 30-0300 Wideband | High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | 11.9 @ 128 (+1000 ft DA)

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida

Replace the plug wires and coil packs. Have too take off the intake manifold, so it's best to do both while your in there.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Those plugs are jacked...is that porcelain cracked/flaked off? They look like something violent is going on in the combustion chamber, and I'd be worried about what the pistons looked like.
    no that's carbon from oil burned on the plug

Tech Team

Supporting Vendor
    What is your voltage gauge doing while having this happen?

If you were seeing less than 12V while driving, you may have a charging system issue. Low voltage definitely will cause this, and yes, the passenger side will drop out first due to the coil design.

Those plugs are WAY overdue to be replaced too. That is not porcelain damage, that is buildup flaking off that should not have been allowed to build up in the first place!
    Dan Lesser
    Viper Specialty Performance
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

Dan, I originally seemed to recall the voltage dropping when the issue first occurred. (Almost seemed as if turning on the A/C or turning up my stereo would cause it to drop and the issue to occur)

That battery had been going dead very quickly. I could turn stereo on and the battery light would light up within seconds so I replaced the battery.

After I replaced the battery, I don't think I recall seeing the voltage drop when the issue occurs but I will have to keep an eye on that.

I do still suspect there may be SOMETHING fucky with the charging system. I pulled the car out of the garage a couple of weeks ago, turned it off and washed it. Started it up and the voltage was low, battery light came on. Then it shot right up to 14 again.

Tech Team

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Dan, I originally seemed to recall the voltage dropping when the issue first occurred. (Almost seemed as if turning on the A/C or turning up my stereo would cause it to drop and the issue to occur)

That battery had been going dead very quickly. I could turn stereo on and the battery light would light up within seconds so I replaced the battery.

After I replaced the battery, I don't think I recall seeing the voltage drop when the issue occurs but I will have to keep an eye on that.

I do still suspect there may be SOMETHING fucky with the charging system. I pulled the car out of the garage a couple of weeks ago, turned it off and washed it. Started it up and the voltage was low, battery light came on. Then it shot right up to 14 again.
    Almost no question, there is something going on with your charging system.

Check battery connections, alternator connections, starter lug connection to start. If you find anything loose, post up. Beyond that, you need to check the Field Control wiring, but that takes a bit of know-how. Lastly, its either going to be a PCM or Alternator failure.
    Dan Lesser
    Viper Specialty Performance
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

Thanks Dan, greatly appreciate your help! I plan to look into what I can tomorrow afternoon/evening!