VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

Show me your Radio

Hey Gang,

I'm about wrapping up some preventative maintenance items and an exhaust change on my 97 GTS and was thinking of something on the drive home from the shop the other day: Bluetooth! Man, it's a nice feature, and I'd like to have it in the 97. Doing a search on radios, I found out about wiring issues and the no-plug symmetry with aftermarket head units. What I'm curious is what brand of radio you guys are using. What sold you on the brand/type you decided to install? I saw one that had a pull-out flip-up screen. Looked pretty neat, but it essentially blocked out the sun! Which, I guess would be OK since it did block the A/C vents.

No complaints really on the stock radio, but I'd like to add the Bluetooth function. Post up what you installed, a pic, and why! Thanks folks!

Cheers

Dave
    97 GTS, 69-1/2 A12 Super Bee, '16 Scatpack Challenger
    68 Mustang S-Code GT fastback, 78 Y82 Trans Am

I'm going to try this, keeps everything stock. http://isimple.com/catalog/listen-to-music/isfm75

Here's what I have installed. I went old school as I had this head unit collecting dust in the basement. It is of similar age as my Viper...It is a Sony CDX-910, commonly acknowledged to be a high end unit.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

I didn't even think about a retrofit Bluetooth device. Hmmm.....I think a visit to Crutchfield is in order!

Cheers

Dave

Enthusiast
    An amazing thread so far. All this talk about removing a perfectly good factory part and replacing it with something else and no one has said... UPGRADE yet!!!
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

Ive thought the same. I dont want to hack up the wiring. Just want a bluetooth head unit to br able to connect my phone to listen to tunes or have nav/waze directions dictated out to a level you can hear over the drone. Nothing flashy or would appear to be aftermarket. The FM radio band doesn't seem to pick up anything but static a few local stations. IDK if the ant is bad or its just the head unit. Honestly havent had the time to really dig into it. I found a couple stock alpine units ~$100-200 that should fit but want need to stop by a installer to get an adaptir plug from the stock unit to match a new apline unit.

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    An amazing thread so far. All this talk about removing a perfectly good factory part and replacing it with something else and no one has said... UPGRADE yet!!!
    Argh, totally forgot to mention... For sure I consider my complete stereo build an upgrade over stock, every day!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

Seems like those Bluetooth add on units are the way to go. Crutchfield has several that can be hardwired or just be a plug in stand alone type thing. Minimally invasive!

Cheers

Dave

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    20170525_104312 by Fatboy 18, on Flickr

UPGRADE
    7" MOTORISED FLIP OUT SCREEN,
    Rear View Camera,
    Bluetooth paring to phone.
    Ipod connection
    DVD
    CD
    FM Radio
    Sat Nav. using Navextras software on an SD card.
    033199398.jpg
    ZE-NC510ma.jpg

Note: If you don't want to have the screen out, you can put your destination into the Sat Nav, then retract the screen and the sat nav will give you audio instructions on how to get to your destination.
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 06-22-2017 at 01:51 AM.

IMG_2935.jpg

I installed the Alpine CDE-149BT last year. It replaced a previous Alpine unit that had a display failure. I have been very impressed with this unit. It is not plug and play with the original head, but none are that I have found. I ordered my unit from Crutchfield along with their wire connectors. I spliced each individual wire from the old harness into the new wiring harness. It is not hard if you take your time and pay attention to the wiring diagram that comes with the Alpine head. The other thing with my 2001 is that there is a metal flange on the firewall in back of the radio. In order to make RCA cables fit, you either have to purchase right angle RCA connectors for the back of the unit or do like I did, use 4 delrin bushings on the mounting screws to allow clearance in the back of the unit. If I remember correctly, my bushings were 3/4 inch and thus gave that extra space in the rear for my RCA connections to the head unit. As you can see in the picture, the unit fits nicely and does not look like it is sticking out an extra 3/4 inch. In actuality, the extra spacing made it easier if you would like to remove the faceplate which is an option on this unit.
    If you are using the Bluetooth, the unit comes with a microphone to hands free call. I was worried about ambient noise so I did not install the microphone. I used the bluetooth in the beginning and did not have any problems with connecting from my iPhone to the head unit. Very easy to pair. I am not a fan of Bluetooth for audio as it introduces an inherent signal loss. Instead, I ran the supplied USB cable from the back of the head under the center console and out behind the passenger seat. I can now connect my iPhone via cable whenever I like and I can remove the cable easily.
    I chose Alpine because of my history with them. I am a musician and audiophile and their gear lets me taylor the settings that I like. With that being said, the Viper is a terrible listening environment, but I do the best I can. Hope this helps. I am happy to go into more detail. You can get my number from Steve F. if you would like to chat. Good luck!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

Very good info! Thanks for the reply, guys. Fatboy....that's the screen I was referring too. I wish it didn't block the vents. Looks pretty cool! Thanks for the detailed reply, ViperBass. I'll be in touch.

Cheers

Dave