Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)

2017 Health Reports

Anyone having any issues with their 17's? Oil consumption? Other mechanical issues?

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Oil consumption so far is very good. Level staying right at the top through first oil change (at 500 miles) and since. Now at 1300 miles. No issues beyond a few interior rattles that drive me crazy.

Currently at 5600 miles and did my first oil change at about 900 miles. Just put a half quart in over the weekend since it was toward the bottom of safe zone. So some slight consumption (1qt or so)over 4500 miles and a few track events and autocross. I'm going to change the oil soon so we'll see if there is any consumption in the next 5-6000 miles.
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group

Had gear whine on deceleration since new. It only occurred in second and at 2500-2700 RPM's. With use it got better and is barely existent now . I think someone previously posted the cause was new gears too tight.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR (Weekends)
    Maserati Granturismo Sport (Daily)
    Infiniti QX80 (Snow)

VOA Member
    since 2014
    St. Louis
    500 miles not used a drop

I drained out the break in oil at about 300 miles. Didn't burn a drop. Replaced with pennzoil synthetic
    Infiniti QX80 (Snow)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Alabama/Tennessee
    Zero issues with oil consumption.
    Had a auto up/down issue with drivers door window. Dealer replaced regulator and window control module. Been good since.
    2017 Comp. Blue ACR-E

Didn't read the OP well, just thought he wanted to know about oil consumption. Oops.

Had an interior seat defect (warranty), airbag issue (warranty), differential whine issue (warranty)
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group

I've had a minor issue with the drivers side floor mat popping up while utilizing the clutch pedal and shifting. It's pretty annoying, plan to upgrade to better mats.
    Infiniti QX80 (Snow)

Bumping the thread. I read a ACR-E engine issue/ buy back the other day on FB, (it was a 16) got me thinking of this thread. Everyone good?

I'm just over one year of ownership on mine, stethoscope, thermometer, blood pressure and urinalysis all check out so far....
    Infiniti QX80 (Snow)

My 17 has been the best car ive owned.. no issues 5000 daily driven miles.

VOA Member
    since 2017
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    Had gear whine on deceleration since new. It only occurred in second and at 2500-2700 RPM's. With use it got better and is barely existent now . I think someone previously posted the cause was new gears too tight.
    Change the differential and transmission oil if done already.

I have 2,000 miles on mine. First engine oil change 700 miles, second oil change 1,500 miles and had the transmission and differential oil changed too. No issues whatsoever so far!

It's going to be rather difficult finding a good number of 2017s with enough miles on them to use as a reference.

I'm still one that believes there is no "perfect year" for these cars. I've seen issues in all years and on more than one occasion. The quality control is hit or miss with them. Bottom line. You may get one with absolutely no issues or you may get a nightmare. I feel the main reason for this is that the issues can come from a wide range of parts. From paint to body components, to rear diffs, engines, and transmissions. The list goes on.... All goes back to quality control.

They're great cars and no other make/model compares. I wish I still had mine. Only problem I had was with paint bubbling and blistering. The current owner has over 10,000 hard miles on it including track events. No issues. I did however personally get all the factory oils out the car at 500 miles and replaced them with my own choice. I know the current owner uses the same oils I used.
    Last edited by 7TH_SIGN; 6 Days Ago at 12:44 AM.
    *SOLD*
    2015 SRT Viper - Agency Power Catless Exhaust/Arrow PCM

That's why it's good to drive. I put 2,000 Miles per year on my 13 in 3.5 years of ownership. However, I've only put 528 miles on my 17 in 13 months of ownership, mostly due to weather these past months. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel.
    Infiniti QX80 (Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by 7TH_SIGN View Post
    It's going to be rather difficult finding a good number of 2017s with enough miles on them to use as a reference.

I'm still one that believes there is no "perfect year" for these cars. I've seen issues in all years and on more than one occasion. The quality control is hit or miss with them. Bottom line. You may get one with absolutely no issues or you may get a nightmare. I feel the main reason for this is that the issues can come from a wide range of parts. From paint to body components, to rear diffs, engines, and transmissions. The list goes on.... All goes back to quality control.

They're great cars and no other make/model compares. I wish I still had mine. Only problem I had was with paint bubbling and blistering. The current owner has over 10,000 hard miles on it including track events. No issues. I did however personally get all the factory oils out the car at 500 miles and replaced them with my own choice. I know the current owner uses the same oils I used.
    Excellent post. 100% agree.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 7TH_SIGN View Post

So in other words our viper are no different than any other car ever made. You will always find examples with problems.

VOA Mamba Member
    Houston
    I'm in my 4th month of ownership. Only at 600 miles. I've been busy with work and kid schedules. First oil, diff and trans change will be in the next few days using my lift. Following the break in procedure so I really haven't gotten into the power band yet. Not burned any oil at this point. I will be sending a sample off to Blackstone after the first two oil changes for sure.
    2017 Dealer Edition ACR-E Past Vipers:2013 blue and silver GTS, 2008 Red and Black ACR-X Clone, 2008 Black caged ACR
    2009 SSG with black stripes ACR, 1997 Blue with White stripes GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Driver View Post
    So in other words our viper are no different than any other car ever made. You will always find examples with problems.
    Correct sir. Just like anything else man made. Some more than others haha.
    *SOLD*
    2015 SRT Viper - Agency Power Catless Exhaust/Arrow PCM

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Driver View Post
    Agree, but...the Gen 5 seems very hit or miss. Combined with so few made, and the percentage which are miss seems higher. Maybe it isn't.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

i think theyre very reliable cars.. people who have perfect cars are less incluned to go to a forum and bitch... too busy enjoying them! These things are bulletproof for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    I will be sending a sample off to Blackstone after the first two oil changes for sure.
    This is not directed at you specifically. It's just that I have been thinking about this lately and honestly do not know the answer.

Help me to understand why anyone tests their oil? What I mean is and where my question stems from is what do you do when it comes back that there are metal chunks floating around in your oil? Is there something that corrects it without a rebuild?

If the motor let's go, pukes oil, smokes like a coal fired locomotive it's probably time for a rebuild. If it doesn't it's not.

Also why would anyone check the contents of the oil for a car that's under warranty?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    NY/CT

Quote Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post
    This is not directed at you specifically. It's just that I have been thinking about this lately and honestly do not know the answer.

Help me to understand why anyone tests their oil? What I mean is and where my question stems from is what do you do when it comes back that there are metal chunks floating around in your oil? Is there something that corrects it without a rebuild?

If the motor let's go, pukes oil, smokes like a coal fired locomotive it's probably time for a rebuild. If it doesn't it's not.

Also why would anyone check the contents of the oil for a car that's under warranty?
    You would know what's coming if you do the lab tests. If they say "shit aint good" you know the car needs to go to the dealer, rather then your out for a cruise and your motor finally goes.

Quote Originally Posted by cubeman View Post
    You would know what's coming if you do the lab tests. If they say "shit aint good" you know the car needs to go to the dealer, rather then your out for a cruise and your motor finally goes.
    The dealer is going to tell you there's not one damn thing they can do about it. I have had a Dodge truck engine replaced under warranty. They aren't going to care what I say or what a piece of paper says if the engine is otherwise running fine. My experience is even when something is catastrophically wrong with it until it's actually blown up they try their best to say it's still ok.

I can't remember ever checking the oil in the ACR-E let alone send it off for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post

You bring up some good points about oil analysis. It certainly won't prevent an engine from grenading, but it can give you an indication that there might be trouble on the horizon.

Oil analysis IMO really only benefits two applications:

1. Someone with a high performance engine build running on the ragged edge that has no warranty - if you can catch a problem early, hopefully you can tear the motor down and address the issue before you start damaging the larger, more expensive parts (like the engine block).
    2. Someone that is trying to extend oil change intervals - oil analysis can tell you how much oil life you have left, so you can get an idea of exactly how often you need to be changing your oil. This doesn't really make sense for most Viper owners, but might for someone on a tight budget that puts a lot of miles on their vehicles, or a business with a fleet of vehicles.

You can also get an idea about some other things like whether or not your air and oil filters are doing their job by seeing what foreign contaminants make it into your engine oil. Again, probably not very useful for most Viper owners.

As long as your car is under warranty, and you keep an eye on your oil level to keep FCA from trying to deny your warranty due to negligence, that's about as much as you can do. If peace of mind is worth the cost of sending off an oil sample for analysis, then so be it. I prefer to keep my money in my own pockets rather than lining someone else's.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | 11.33 @ 128.72, 1.95 60' (+1,625 ft DA, w/ 3.07s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    You bring up some good points about oil analysis. It certainly won't prevent an engine from grenading, but it can give you an indication that there might be trouble on the horizon.

Oil analysis IMO really only benefits two applications:

1. Someone with a high performance engine build running on the ragged edge that has no warranty - if you can catch a problem early, hopefully you can tear the motor down and address the issue before you start damaging the larger, more expensive parts (like the engine block).
    2. Someone that is trying to extend oil change intervals - oil analysis can tell you how much oil life you have left, so you can get an idea of exactly how often you need to be changing your oil. This doesn't really make sense for most Viper owners, but might for someone on a tight budget that puts a lot of miles on their vehicles, or a business with a fleet of vehicles.

You can also get an idea about some other things like whether or not your air and oil filters are doing their job by seeing what foreign contaminants make it into your engine oil. Again, probably not very useful for most Viper owners.

As long as your car is under warranty, and you keep an eye on your oil level to keep FCA from trying to deny your warranty due to negligence, that's about as much as you can do. If peace of mind is worth the cost of sending off an oil sample for analysis, then so be it. I prefer to keep my money in my own pockets rather than lining someone else's.
    We just keep everything over-serviced and have real time expectations for engine life.

I budget for a new engine in the Corvette every two seasons. If it lasts longer great. Sometimes it doesn't and that's ok too.

It's been my experience when things are junk they are junk and need to come apart. Obviously it's nice to not have everything be a paper weight but for me it's never been that way. I have always come away with at least the entire top end of the engine salvageable.

The testing of oil in an engine that's under warranty if you're doing proper oil changes makes no sense to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast