Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    All this doesn't get around the fact of why some of these cars burn shit-tons of oil when new and some don't. I've always thought that weird.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Why is that weird? Simply poor quality control and manufacturing inconsistencies

Quote Originally Posted by DZnutz View Post
    Why is that weird? Simply poor quality control and manufacturing inconsistencies
    That could be a reason, yes.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    Currently at 5600 miles and did my first oil change at about 900 miles. Just put a half quart in over the weekend since it was toward the bottom of safe zone. So some slight consumption (1qt or so)over 4500 miles and a few track events and autocross. I'm going to change the oil soon so we'll see if there is any consumption in the next 5-6000 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    Didn't read the OP well, just thought he wanted to know about oil consumption. Oops.

Had an interior seat defect (warranty), airbag issue (warranty), differential whine issue (warranty)
    Just passed 10,000 miles, 10+ Autocross events, and 2 track days and still going strong. (Knock on wood) Still have the drivers seat issue with the threads coming out again (replaced once already) but other than that it's driving like a champ. I switched to Mobil1 5w50 and will continue using it when I change the oil again in the next month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DZnutz View Post
    Crazy though. It's like playing Russian Roulette.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR (Weekends)
    Maserati Granturismo Sport (Daily)
    Infiniti QX80 (Snow)

FCA has/had a vested interest in selling them. Considering FCA early on was trying to sweep the issue under a rug and blame it on Arrow PCMs, intakes, cat-back exhausts, and owners not knowing their oil levels when the factory engine is burning quarts of oil at almost ever gas fill up..... Sorry but I'll continue trusting these reputable GEN V aftermarket shops over FCA. The engine issue isn't every GEN V, but its more then the 5% FCA claims. You can't argue numbers. I won't get in to the other quality control issues.
    *SOLD*
    2015 SRT Viper - Agency Power Catless Exhaust/Arrow PCM

So 95% of engines won't pop? I'll take those odds....
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR (Weekends)
    Maserati Granturismo Sport (Daily)
    Infiniti QX80 (Snow)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    So 95% of engines won't pop? I'll take those odds....
    Yep, and if mine were ever to have a problem, just about any problem anywhere on the car, it will be fixed under my extended warranty. Those who are concerned should go get theirs today and drive happy!
    2014 Black TA 23/33 Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Utah/Wyoming/Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by 7TH_SIGN View Post
    FCA has/had a vested interest in selling them. Considering FCA early on was trying to sweep the issue under a rug and blame it on Arrow PCMs, intakes, cat-back exhausts, and owners not knowing their oil levels when the factory engine is burning quarts of oil at almost ever gas fill up..... Sorry but I'll continue trusting these reputable GEN V aftermarket shops over FCA. The engine issue isn't every GEN V, but its more then the 5% FCA claims. You can't argue numbers. I won't get in to the other quality control issues.
    Even if I believed that more than 5% of engines have failed I still would question how many of those failed due to owner errors such as checking oil.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Even if I believed that more than 5% of engines have failed I still would question how many of those failed due to owner errors such as checking oil.
    I'm sure some were due to owners fault. Then again I'm sure most were not expecting quarts of oil loss. Still, you should always check the oil. Especially during break in.
    *SOLD*
    2015 SRT Viper - Agency Power Catless Exhaust/Arrow PCM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123