Gen 2 rubbing sound

Hey guys, as I am new to Viper ownership, I know some cars have inherent noises that others do not. Before asking the dealership where I bought it to look at it, I figured tap the collective experience and wisdom of this group. When making low speed corners, I hear what sounds like rubbing coming from the rear. The car has only 8K miles, everything was in immaculately clean almost pristine condition including the under carriage, suspension, tires etc. I can see no evidence of anything rubbing anywhere. Is this a normal noise?

Thanks,
    Killian

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    OK, Lets start with some more questions.
    Are the wheels stock? Where do the wheels sit in relation to the inner lip of the wheel arch? Are they tucked inside? What size are the tires?

Rubbing noise could be Brake pads on the surface of the rear Discs if the car only has 8K on it how much have you driven it when you noticed the noise? The calipers may need readjusting

Everything is still stock rims and tires 335/30 18". I heard it almost right away upon driving it.
    Killian Farry
    2001 Dodge Viper GTS, Sapphire Blue
    2002 Chrysler Prowler, Prowler Yellow

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Try lifting the parking brake handle (with your finger keeping the release button pushed in) while moving, can you still hear the noise?

Find a empty car parking lot and try going around in a circle at slow speed, first to the right then a circle to the left, listen to see if you hear any difference? That could be Half shaft / diff related

When was the last time the half shafts and ball joints were greased up?

Its hard to diagnose these things over the internet but maintenance needs to be up to date on a Viper
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 08-19-2017 at 05:51 PM.

I will have to try that, thank you. The dealer and I have a great relationship. If it is something simple like greasing or new brakes he will take care of it. I'll test out the suggestions you gave in the morning.
    Killian Farry

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    What side is it coming from?
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

It sounded like right rear but , strange as it sounds it went away the day I tried the above suggestions to try to locate/diagnose it. I'll keep an ear out if it comes back. Could have just been somethin stuck in a wheel I couldn't see that dislodged. Thank you though for the advice guys.
    Killian Farry

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Possible the rear rotor had some slight rust on it and that's what you were temporarily hearing?
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    My GEN II did this when I got it. Doesn't do it now. I can't rememebr what the fix was exactly. I believe I had a service done on my diff and that fixed the issue.
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)

I just bought a 2000 Dodge Viper RT/10 45k miles on it. It was making the same noise. Sounds like a whining noise from rear. Took it to Dodge.Advise the dealership of the sound. Had all the 45k recommended service done on it. It didn't make the noise anymore. Cost me about $700

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Minnesota
    Sounds like diff to me.
    2001 GTS Sap/Stripes
    "Death Waits in the Dark" -160th SOAR