Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64
  1. #51
    Enthusiast VENOM V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again....the issue is the minimalist sidewall of the front tire. The 25 series does not have enough sidewall to allow for much lateral flex which IMO allows the tire to de-bead too easy and/or get wheel pinched much easier than a 30 series tire.

    Come to think of it, I don't even know if there is an extreme performance or competition tire in a 295/25 series sidewall.....maybe that says something about why a 25 series sidewall is just not enough for high performance track use. More sidewall height protects the tire at the expense of turn in and steering responsiveness. For most of us non pro drivers, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

    I'd run a Hoosier all day without second thoughts. The forces they can withstand are impressive.....most of the standing mile cars (like uber prepped Ford GT's) that run 250 plus mph run the Hoosier tire. The centrifugal and load forces at those speeds are crazy.
    Agree with this George, and good to hear from you old friend!

  2. #52
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    RedTanRT/10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Dana Point
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
    Since I got humbled last weekend at Buttonwillow, where I spun just as I was entering the track
    Got it!!! Last weekend I came out late and had Ben behind me at Willow. I'll show him turned out to be a 180 between 3 & 4. We're going to Spring Mountain next weekend, can't wait to see all you guys at Laguna in November
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

  3. #53
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Mid-South (AR/LA/MS)
    PkB2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again....the issue is the minimalist sidewall of the front tire. The 25 series does not have enough sidewall to allow for much lateral flex which IMO allows the tire to de-bead too easy and/or get wheel pinched much easier than a 30 series tire.

    Come to think of it, I don't even know if there is an extreme performance or competition tire in a 295/25 series sidewall.....maybe that says something about why a 25 series sidewall is just not enough for high performance track use. More sidewall height protects the tire at the expense of turn in and steering responsiveness. For most of us non pro drivers, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

    I'd run a Hoosier all day without second thoughts. The forces they can withstand are impressive.....most of the standing mile cars (like uber prepped Ford GT's) that run 250 plus mph run the Hoosier tire. The centrifugal and load forces at those speeds are crazy.
    I think you misunderstood the question. I wasn’t asking about Hoosiers per se. the question was about running a lower load rating than OEM. More sidewall or not the rating is still the rating, and the Hoosier 295 have lower than Kumho and Hoosier 315 are higher. I seem to remember Darius having an issue with 295 Hoosier on the front, but I might be mistaken. Some events won’t allow you to run tires with a lower rating than OEM. I would never claim to be an expert so I guess running the 315s is just peace of mind for me
    Last edited by PkB2014; 10-18-2017 at 03:03 AM.
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group
    2016 Focus RS

  4. #54
    Enthusiast BlueAdder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by dmann View Post
    awesome times!

    Hey, Is #40 using trak tape? Im curious of how it protected.
    I believe it was track tape indeed.
    Dude spun off at the cyclone but no damage to the car. The track tape did its job despite looking like shyte.

    My buddy saw that picture and he was like: WTF? dude is using packaging tape?
    2018 Challenger T/A 392. 2016 Viper ACR-E Competition Blue
    2005 Lotus Elise (Track Car). 2004 RAM 1500 Rumble Bee

  5. #55
    Has anyone considered running the Forgelines 18 x 12" width with the Hoosier R7 - 335/30 ZR 18? Same height as the 315/30. Thoughts?

    I agree the 295 front tire is problematic but will the wider Hoosiers offer better lap times? I'm not sure changing the rears to a Hoosier will offer any better lap times.
    For Sale - 2016 Stryker Orange ACR-E, Viper Exchange Stage II H&C package. ARH Headers, no Cats, Corsa exhaust, and tune.

  6. #56
    Enthusiast Racingswh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Chalfont, PA
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by DADS ACR View Post
    Has anyone considered running the Forgelines 18 x 12" width with the Hoosier R7 - 335/30 ZR 18? Same height as the 315/30. Thoughts?

    I agree the 295 front tire is problematic but will the wider Hoosiers offer better lap times? I'm not sure changing the rears to a Hoosier will offer any better lap times.
    It's been done already I think by two guys here with some success.

    The quickest guy in the Eastern US in these currently uses the R7's front and rear on the factory wheels I believe. 295/30/19's in the front. What have you heard to be problematic? I hadn't heard there was an issue is why I ask.

    I use the 315/30/18 Hoosier on the front without any issues. Happens to be the tire I use on all my cars which makes it easy.

    More tire usually results in better lap times but there has to be someone driving the car that can utilize the extra grip available. I know for a fact I am not that guy. .

  7. #57
    Problematic - I am referring to the stock 295/25 Kumho's.

    I agree with your comment referring to the driving skills but having extra grip might keep a good driver on the track when they overshoot. if you know what I mean.

    I am by no means an advanced solo driver but I do like the idea of extra grip.
    For Sale - 2016 Stryker Orange ACR-E, Viper Exchange Stage II H&C package. ARH Headers, no Cats, Corsa exhaust, and tune.

  8. #58
    Enthusiast stradman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,144
    Its clear all the input from all of you is fantastic, however it would be great if we could come up with some concensus as to which combo wheels/tires is the overall best for the track. Maybe we can have a couple of back to back laps by same (ideally fairly experienced)driver to do comparison and then look at wear and any problems such as rubbing and boil it down to best combo. If its possible at all of course....

  9. #59
    Enthusiast Racingswh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Chalfont, PA
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by DADS ACR View Post
    Problematic - I am referring to the stock 295/25 Kumho's.

    I agree with your comment referring to the driving skills but having extra grip might keep a good driver on the track when they overshoot. if you know what I mean.

    I am by no means an advanced solo driver but I do like the idea of extra grip.
    I apologize. I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the 295/30/19 Hoosiers.

    To keep it simple for most driver's I would recommend just buying another set of factory 19" wheels and run the 295/30/19 F and the 345/30/19 R Hoosier A's or R's. R's last longer and definitely have more stable grip characteristics over the course of an entire run session than the Kumho's..

    I happen to really like my 18"s. They are light and my 3 cars all take the same size tires which makes never running out of tires really easy. That said if it were my only track car I would have just stayed with the 19's. If there is a performance benefit to having the 18's I am not good enough to exploit it.

  10. #60
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    FrankBarba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    857
    Great Pictures....If I were the person driving the Blue & White i would not be tracking on those rims.
    I don't care if they have 96 or 97 date codes i'd get a different set for the track. Just my opinion,
    I sure everyone has one...
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS
    2003 Comp Coupe FS

  11. #61
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Carolinas
    Special Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    Where are you all buying the rotors/pads?
    “what’s the retail on one of those?”
    Best price on raybestos st43, st45 and st47 is Randall Race Parts in Mooresville NC 704 658 0711. I paid less $250 for all four corners.
    2015 Comp Blue TA 2.0 #001

  12. #62
    Spotted this lovely ACR-E last weekend at Thunderhill - I had driven my 2018 GT3 down from Washington for a weekend on the 2-mile course.
    I'm going to make the same trip again in the coming months, this time for the 3 mile or 5 mile, and with my ACR.
    Will need to buy an appropriate trailer though, definitely wouldn't be a pleasant 13 hour drive with the ACR and no spare rubber!
    How have the girodiscs been holding up for you over the years? I'm planning on making the swap this winter. My CCBs are like new still and I'll want to keep them that way





    20201016_172038.jpg
    2017 ACR-E
    2004 Lambo Murcielago -- Gated Manual, 2004 Challenge Stradale
    2018 991.2 GT3 -- Manual, 2019 Raptor

  13. #63
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Northern California
    sharmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    47
    I may have seen that ACR-E at Thunderhill in Sept and earlier this month. The 5-mile configuration is my favorite.

    Girodisc on the ACR holding well, 20 track days. Just replaced front rings and pads. The rear rings are still in good shape. Installed the TKO brake cooling kit on the front calipers 4 track days ago, will see if this extends the rotor life a bit longer. Will be installing the rear brake ducts soon with the hope of cooling the rear brakes enough to extend the life of the rear wheel bearing/hub seal.
    Last edited by sharmut; 10-26-2020 at 03:22 PM.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post

    Anyway, to help cope with this issue I've started a support group called VULVA.


    TrackAire
    President
    VULVA
    Christmas is just around the corner!
    Attached Images Attached Images


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •