How to get rid of P0135 and P0155 if you have a modified exhaust

If you have an aftermarket or modded exhaust on your GEN ll and your car keeps throwing the check engine light check out this video.

The stock primary O2 sensors will throw a P0135 or P0155 code for not heating up fast enough on cold start. (Driver or Pass)

You can easily fix this by either modifying the stock O2 sensors by drilling them or buying these denso units for cheap from rock auto.

More info in this week's video

2000 Viper GTS ACR - Red/Silver Stripes
    2005 RAM SRT-10 - Commemorative Edition white/blue
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC HEMI

Enthusiast
    I did both those things. Neither one fixed the problem for very long. At all. The sensors lasted a few months. The drilled holes really had no affect at all. I know others that have found the same result of very short term results.

A long term solution that I found working with my tuner was to add a slight amount more of warmup fuel to make the sensors heat up faster.

Another method that can be done via your tuner is to change the CEL trip setting on that to an unattainable number. Factory setting is (1).
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    I did both those things. Neither one fixed the problem for very long. At all. The sensors lasted a few months. The drilled holes really had no affect at all. I know others that have found the same result of very short term results.

A long term solution that I found working with my tuner was to add a slight amount more of warmup fuel to make the sensors heat up faster.

Another method that can be done via your tuner is to change the CEL trip setting on that to an unattainable number. Factory setting is (1).
    Thanks for the info Dave! I know we've hashed it out in the past but I do appreciate your info!

I read some of your past posts on this topic with your aftermarket headers (can't remember the brand you went with) but that you even tried moving the sensor location from one of the runners to the collector, etc. I think you tried the Bosch sensors but didn't you try the Denso ones too? I still have the stock tubular manifolds on my car for the moment so once I replace these I may be facing the issue again. I did get the info from another forum member (LifeIsGood) who made the recommendation and said he has been running these for years with no issue after facing the same problems.

Also wanted to pick your brain on the SCT with advantage lll one of these days and maybe at some point discuss that roe kit if you still have it kicking around...
    Last edited by Boosted Motorsports; 6 Days Ago at 01:26 PM.
    2000 Viper GTS ACR - Red/Silver Stripes
    2005 RAM SRT-10 - Commemorative Edition white/blue
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC HEMI

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    I have Belanger headers, high flow cats and the Corsa cat-back exhaust. I started throwing the P0135 code some time after that. I replaced both the O2 sensors with Densos in 2011. The code hasn't come back in the 6 years since.
    2001 VRY RT/10

Enthusiast
    I can't recall the look-up table I modified in my SCT software off the top of my head....but I changed the sensitivity number on the 02 sensor warm-up table. No issues since.

I believe the stock sensors for a Gen2 are NTKs - 23151 Upstream, and 23099 Down. They are around $35. Not sure if they make a difference in the aftermarket exhaust/CEL codes situation above.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Utah/Wyoming/Montana
    My Edelbrock headers on my 96’ RT/10 kept throwing the codes with stock and new stock 02s. Changed to faster response 02s and has been over 2,500 miles with no issues. Codes never came back. Sorry I can’t even remember what I went with after all the years.
    1996 Viper RT/10 #96-0132, 1 of 231 96' RTs (Black w/SS)

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Western Canada
    I have M&M's on mine and the only CEL I got was from the rear O2 sensors after doing a cat delete. Never had issues with the primary sensors.
    2001 GTS ACR Yellow with black stripes. AKA Minion