Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just thought of one more thing you'll need for the Gen 5 axles - the bolts. You'll need Mopar part number 06510757AA - M10x1.25x54mm bolts. Looks like they come in pairs - you'll need 3 pairs for each axle (12 total bolts for both).
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

I think we are going to use the Gen5 diff, Gen4 stubs and my existing Gen3 axles. Seems like a Johnny Cash song, but whatever. I found that the SRT #53010743AH finned differential is actually less money than the diff without fins. Any reason behind this? Also, are we sure that all Gen5 diffs are 3.55 gears? Thanks for the great info!
    2006 SRT10, blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Campbell View Post
    I think we are going to use the Gen5 diff, Gen4 stubs and my existing Gen3 axles. Seems like a Johnny Cash song, but whatever. I found that the SRT #53010743AH finned differential is actually less money than the diff without fins. Any reason behind this? Also, are we sure that all Gen5 diffs are 3.55 gears? Thanks for the great info!
    If it is less money, it is probably just a random market fluctuation...besides the finned rear cover, there are no other differences, so go with whatever is cheaper.

And yes, all Gen 5 diffs come with 3.55s.
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

Last edited by Otis Campbell; 12-06-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    2006 SRT10, blue.

That should do it.

I ran into my first snag in the project. The rear differential #53010704AH is discontinued and replaced with AI and AK. Online pricing for the AH is $2035, but that part is discontinued and replaced by the AI and AK. The AK is $3045 + shipping. Do any of you fine folks have a better source for these parts than the typical Mopar Parts stores that come up from Google? This project is starting to go from a $3000 project to a $5000 project before I even touch a wrench.
    2006 SRT10, blue.

I was afraid of that...as inventories get used up, the prices are going to keep going up. It was nice while it lasted I guess. When I bought mine, it was toward the end of Viper production, and they wanted to get rid of their surplus quickly.

Aside from the 3.55s, were you also after the stronger Gen 4/5 differential (Visco Lok)? I guess at this point you just have to weigh piecing it together + labor as opposed to buying the unit as a one piece bolt in. Gear installs are pretty pricey, mainly because they require a fair amount of labor to get it right (and you'll be hoping they do).

The R&R of the entire unit is a bit cumbersome, but easily done by even your average shade tree mechanic. I won't touch a gear install though, mostly because it requires one-off tools that are useful for pretty much nothing else.

I was hoping to swap out the entire unit, and keeping my stock differential "just in case" (ie, collecting dust forever). As for install, there is a place 3 hours from me called Havik Performance, not sure if he's known on these forums or not. Apparently he knows which end of a Viper is up. I was going to have him do the swap and check my car from tonsils to toenails to make sure it's sea-worthy.
    2006 SRT10, blue.

I'm confused on parts. Can you please tell me the difference between a 68027872AC - Right stub axel
    392e3218a710979f792ff452c13e1977.JPG

And a 8203472AB - Right Intermediate shaft
    a2f81917d17ed50b9a88d9ba63341221.JPG

I'm no mechanic, and I'm sure you realized that by now. Is the shaft pictured on top the same as the part below it, but that black collar goes onto that shaft? If so, does the black collar just tap onto the splines of that shaft?
    2006 SRT10, blue.

The top picture is a Gen 4 stub shaft. The bottom one is a Gen 5 stub shaft. The black collar looking thing is the flange that bolts to the Gen 5 axles. It does not come off.

If you are using your Gen 3 axles, you'll need the Gen 4 stubs.

Thanks for being patient and educating me. I really do appreciate it. How does that Gen 4 stub connect to the axle? EDIT - I did my own research and think I answered my own question. The GEN 3 axles have a splined hole in the end to accept the splines on the Gen 4 stub. The Gen 5 axle uses that round black collar and bolts. Am I correct?
    Last edited by Otis Campbell; 01-18-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    2006 SRT10, blue.

Thanks for being patient and educating me. I really do appreciate it. How does that Gen 4 stub connect to the axle? EDIT - I did my own research and think I answered my own question. The GEN 3 axles have a splined hole in the end to accept the splines on the Gen 4 stub. The Gen 5 axle uses that round black collar and bolts. Am I correct?
    That is correct. The Gen 3 and 4 axles are interchangeable...later Gen 4s (some 2008s, 2009 and 2010s) came with stronger, solid shafts, but how they connect to the differential remained the same. My 2008 actually came with Gen 3 axles...must have been left overs from the Gen 3 production days. The Gen 5s used the bolted flange.

To help me decide if the result is worth the expense, how likely am I to blow out my stock differential with normal Viper driving? The occasional burnout, donut, etc, but no hard launches and no track days? It is only a matter of time before this thing grenades along the highway, or should I get 40k miles out of it? My car currently has 16k miles.
    2006 SRT10, blue.

To help me decide if the result is worth the expense, how likely am I to blow out my stock differential with normal Viper driving? The occasional burnout, donut, etc, but no hard launches and no track days? It is only a matter of time before this thing grenades along the highway, or should I get 40k miles out of it? My car currently has 16k miles.
    I will caveat what I'm about to say with the following: I tend to be on the conservative side.

That said, with just normal highway driving, you shouldn't have an issue with your stock diff. No hard launches and no track days are also good. The burnouts and donuts, I'm not so sure. I've seen plenty of videos of Vipers doing burnouts, and they usually involve some amount of wheel hop. You can clearly see it in this slow-motion video:

Wheel hop is very destructive, and can cause your differential to fail.

I don't want to spend your money for you, and only you know how you will use the car. You could be fine for many years, or you could go to do the next burnout tomorrow and it could grenade. Depending on what goes, you could end up having to replace every single component in the differential - the diff itself, ring and pinion, bearings, etc. That would not be a cheap endeavor. It is a risk, but you as the driver are the most important variable of that equation. It would have been nice if the drop-in Gen 5 housing was still around $1,700 like when I bought mine.

Steve,

What's the best email for you? I have a few questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12