PCV and Valve Cover Catch Can Setups

Well didn't take long for me to discover how much the factory setup sucks.

Ran in the advanced group at Streets of Willow Springs on Saturday and with the grade changes and long downhill braking sections the oil from the valve covers was basically just going straight into the front valve cover vents and into the intake. Combination of sticky tires and good suspension and the stock system cannot keep up at all in these conditions.

Problem I'm facing is installing a catch can setup and not having issues with SMOG when that comes time. Doesn't seem like anyone really offers a solid 2 can setup for our cars (One that catches from the valve covers and one from the crankcase vent under the intake).

DSE makes some nice kits for the GEN V but he is basically just using Mishimoto style baffled catch cans with some nice brackets tailored for the GEN V.

My plan is to get a 2-port can for the PCV under the intake manifold and put it in line with the T connecting to the intake manifold. Then get a 3 port (2IN - 1 OUT) for both valve covers leading into the airbox. I'm thinking of trying this first and if needed I will cap the two ports on the front of the valve covers, install -10AN or -12AN fittings on the TOP and center of each valve cover to avoid oil pickup during hard braking.

Here is DSE's example: http://www.dougshelbyengineering.com/viper.html
    Here are the same catch cans: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mishimoto-M...xZN6bs&vxp=mtr

Lets discuss setups and what others have seen/used
    Last edited by Boosted Motorsports; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:28 PM.
    2000 Viper GTS ACR - Red/Silver Stripes
    2005 RAM SRT-10 - Commemorative Edition white/blue
    2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC HEMI

What oil level where you running, ie did you add an extra qt to the sump?

Quote Originally Posted by ducatithunder View Post
    What oil level where you running, ie did you add an extra qt to the sump?
    Ran 1 session with oil level 3/4 of the way between the hash marks. So about 1/4 from the |< FULL line. Car had a couple puffs in the hard braking corners but nothing too crazy. Topped the oil up to the FULL line for the next session and in the same corner I got an even larger puff out the tailpipe. Ended up calling it a day after that. Drove the 2 hour drive home with no issues or smoke and no loss of oil. Just the aggressive cornering/braking downhill and perhaps uphill the stock system can't cope with.
    Last edited by Boosted Motorsports; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:48 PM.

Gotcha. I have heard of people having issues when they add the extra qt to help alleviate the starvation issue. Im still running the 8.5qt pan so I know most run an extra qt when at the track. Id be curious to see what comes back for catch cans as well.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

I recently ran a couple of days with my oil filled +1qt. I saw ~3x the amount of oil in my catch can, (as compared to running at the full level), that is only attached to my valve cover vents. But I'd rather waste the oil sloshing in my valve covers than run a little low in the pan. I am running the 10qt pan too, by the way.
    97 B/W GTS, Cordes Performance Racing built, Chris Jensen tune, Greg Good H/C, solid lifters, TD rockers, Edelbrock headers, Borla exhaust, StopTech BBK, custom valved Konis/Eibach, Snake Oyl bars, 3.55, Forgestar F14

Thanks Tony!

I did see your threads but was curious to use a setup that encompassed both system albeit with a greater volume/capacity. In your research what led you to completely eliminating the breather from the block? Also were you having the same issue when tracking your car with the stock PCV system?

Quote Originally Posted by nrs1 View Post
    I recently ran a couple of days with my oil filled +1qt. I saw ~3x the amount of oil in my catch can, (as compared to running at the full level), that is only attached to my valve cover vents. But I'd rather waste the oil sloshing in my valve covers than run a little low in the pan. I am running the 10qt pan too, by the way.
    Thanks for the feedback! That confirms my theory of running at the track and the valve cover vents/ports being the source of the issue. Coming downhill hard on the brakes from 100mph into a corner and no catch can, the oil was being driven right into those vent tubes and sucked into the intake box.

I like the idea behind the A&C relocation as ViperTony posted to the top of the valve cover so you don't have oil forced into the vent under hard braking.

Made my own using the same can that DSE does with a custom cnc'd bracket. IMG_6945.jpgIMG_6990.jpgIMG_7084.jpgIMG_7089.jpg
    IMG_7089.jpg

Works awesome. Very simple install and I just drain it from the bottom when doing an oil change. In order to get the bracket made I had to order 10. I have 3 left if anyone wants them. They only work with the Mishimoto catch can. I searched a long time I thought they were the best option.
    2000 GTS ACR - Red & Silver

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Well done Matt!
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

IMG_7670.jpg

Everyone's brackets have shipped out today! They should be there by Friday. If anyone else wants one let me know. If there's enough interest I'll work on a version for the Radium Engineering catch cans as well.
    2000 GTS ACR - Red & Silver