Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Central North Florida
    Right...and 26" is 1.1" taller than the stock Kumhos. The SRT recommended suspension settings are something every ACR owner knows about. And the shock settings only apply to damping, they'll have little to no effect on wheel rate, which is what controls dive under braking or downforce.
    It's perhaps the level of downforce at Daytona that caused it.
    S.
    '17 ACR-E GTS-R Blue, '14 911 Turbo, '16 Charger Hellcat

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorman View Post
    Right...and 26" is 1.1" taller than the stock Kumhos. The SRT recommended suspension settings are something every ACR owner knows about. And the shock settings only apply to damping, they'll have little to no effect on wheel rate, which is what controls dive under braking or downforce.
    It's perhaps the level of downforce at Daytona that caused it.
    S.
    You are of course correct about wheel rate and wrong about every ACR owner knowing about SRT recommended suspension settings (I know at least 2, there are probably hundreds more out there). However, there is a situation where soft suspension setting will cause a wheel to rub. One of these situations is where you clip the apex curbing, causing rapid suspension compression. If your shocks are set to the softest compression setting, the damper will not slow down the compression of the spring, thus allowing the suspension to compress fully, which may cause rubbing. Then again, I drive over curbing all day long when the track is dry and never had a rubbing issue with 295/30/19 tires in the front. I DID however get a hole in the rear left wheel liner with stock rear Kumhos, using SRT recommended suspension settings and track height.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by ek1 View Post
    You are of course correct about wheel rate and wrong about every ACR owner knowing about SRT recommended suspension settings (I know at least 2, there are probably hundreds more out there). However, there is a situation where soft suspension setting will cause a wheel to rub. One of these situations is where you clip the apex curbing, causing rapid suspension compression. If your shocks are set to the softest compression setting, the damper will not slow down the compression of the spring, thus allowing the suspension to compress fully, which may cause rubbing. Then again, I drive over curbing all day long when the track is dry and never had a rubbing issue with 295/30/19 tires in the front. I DID however get a hole in the rear left wheel liner with stock rear Kumhos, using SRT recommended suspension settings and track height.
    More than curbing, it's fast elevation changes at the bottom. I will shred 1/4" of of my diffuser strakes on those LOL.
    And if you don't have a hole in your fender liner on your ACR, you just aren't pushing the car enough. Those are battle scars we should all have!
    2013 9.0 liter track car, 2016 ACR, 96 GTS, 01 RT/10, 03 SRT/10, '16 Megacab, '05 Ford GT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    More than curbing, it's fast elevation changes at the bottom. I will shred 1/4" of of my diffuser strakes on those LOL.
    And if you don't have a hole in your fender liner on your ACR, you just aren't pushing the car enough. Those are battle scars we should all have!
    Eugene drives hard! I'm really surprised he hasn't turned his wheel liners into cheese graters. lol.
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by ek1 View Post
    I ran both R7 and R888Rs in 295/30/19 and never had any rubbing. The ride height and the rake on my car were adjusted. Zero rubbing anywhere and I have done at least 8 track days on Hoosiers and 2 on R888Rs. The overall diameter of the PSC2 tire (26") is actually smaller than the R7 (26.1"), so everything should work fine. MAYBE if someone leaves their suspension settings at full soft, the car rolls enough for tires to touch something, but my car is set up with SRT's recommended suspension settings.
    I have several Viper customers that run 295/30-19 up front, and track their cars. Including my own cars, which I've ran that size since my 2013, and now my 2014. There will be no rubbing, unless maybe they had the car sitting too low, or shocks too soft.
    www.DV8motoring.com
    2014 Viper TA white #10/33 | 2013 Viper - 10.97 @ 127 mph - First 10 second Gen 5 (sold)
    2006 Viper - 9.48 @ 154 mph - 209 mph 1 mile - 187 mph 1/2-mile

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    North Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilmoth View Post
    While I’d love to see that too, I think that’s a pipe dream. McLaren is only getting better, and at the rate they’re going, I think they’ll become the bar everyone else is measured against.
    Agreed

^^^ Absolutely. Mac has been a leader in developing the tech on F1 cars for a long, long time, and it shows now in their road cars. They are (and have been) brining things to the street that is way ahead of the timeline that other MFG's (Porsche, Ferrari) have adopted. It is insane to see how it can all come together now in something like the 720S and basically just leave everything else for dead.

Speaking of the NFGT in another thread, that is a car that is just one example of being DOA because of the 720S (dead on arrival). Just about every other car recently introduced is old news because it is sooooo far back from being able to hang with a 720S that it's just crazy.

Of course every year one car is better in some things than the others, but rarely is it such a massive, ass whooping domination like the 720S seems to be pulling off. ZR1 -- DOA; NSX -- DOA; Performante -- DOA.

I mean, damn, maybe the GT2RS has a chance to not be so incredibly embarrassed? Maybe?
    Last edited by Scott_in_fl; 2 Days Ago at 06:16 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by FLATOUT View Post
    Nice! What size did you put up front? Looking forward to your impressions as well.
    See this: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...e-rear-for-ACR

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_fl View Post
    ^^^ Absolutely. Mac has been a leader in developing the tech on F1 cars for a long, long time, and it shows now in their road cars. They are (and have been) brining things to the street that is way ahead of the timeline that other MFG's (Porsche, Ferrari) have adopted. It is insane to see how it can all come together now in something like the 720S and basically just leave everything else for dead.

Speaking of the NFGT in another thread, that is a car that is just one example of being DOA because of the 720S (dead on arrival). Just about every other car recently introduced is old news because it is sooooo far back from being able to hang with a 720S that it's just crazy.

Of course every year one car is better in some things than the others, but rarely is it such a massive, ass whooping domination like the 720S seems to be pulling off. ZR1 -- DOA; NSX -- DOA; Performante -- DOA.

I mean, damn, maybe the GT2RS has a chance to not be so incredibly embarrassed? Maybe?
    Dude did the new ford gt steal your girlfriend? You seem to be so bitter about that car. We get it, you dont like the car.
    2015 Viper SRT
    2007 Night Rod Special

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    LOL at DOA. The NFGT is a technological and design marvel, and will be sought after and coveted by their base of owners and enthusiasts. They won't suffer buyer's remorse each time the next "it" cars come along, worry how good their performance, what the rags say and what non-owners think about the NFGT. They bought them without knowing or despite knowing the car's performance. They'd laugh at the suggestion that a ZR1 or ACR is similar at half the price, and more likely think that the NFGT is at least 3 times the car for just twice the price. Many will also own various other high performance cars, and a few are sure to pick up a 720S and trade them when the next Mac comes along, never tracking or truly experience the performance of any of their super cars.

Those who can't appreciate or understand the appeal of the NFGT shouldn't bash or be critical of it, just accept that the car obviously wasn't intended to appeal to them.
    2014 SRT Black TA. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    LOL at DOA. The NFGT is a technological and design marvel, and will be sought after and coveted by their base of owners and enthusiasts. They won't suffer buyer's remorse each time the next "it" cars come along, worry how good their performance, what the rags say and what non-owners think about the NFGT. They bought them without knowing or despite knowing the car's performance. They'd laugh at the suggestion that a ZR1 or ACR is similar at half the price, and more likely think that the NFGT is at least 3 times the car for just twice the price. Many will also own various other high performance cars, and a few are sure to pick up a 720S and trade them when the next Mac comes along, never tracking or truly experience the performance of any of their super cars.

Those who can't appreciate or understand the appeal of the NFGT shouldn't bash or be critical of it, just accept that the car obviously wasn't intended to appeal to them.
    Bruce,
    I will say this, I'd love to have a NFGT just for the looks and style alone...then you throw in the heritage and guaranteed value appreciation 2 to 4 times the purchase price as soon as you take ownership, who in their right mind wouldn't want one? Whether you're a fan boy or investor nobody will pass up a NFGT if picked to buy one.

BUT.....something isn't right in the performance picture. There is no official Laguna Seca time, no magazine testing that really matters, etc. I don't know if the car is overheating or what when pushed to the limits for more than 10 minutes but something is not being reported. Can a small 6 cylinder motor pushing over 600 hp actually stay cool on the track? I think Ford is full of crap for not allowing a Laguna Seca time to be reported. I think Ford is full of crap for the way they picked who gets the car (very political and a lot of social nepotism). This is an epic car, but at the end of the day my gut is telling me a 2018 Corvette C7 Z06 (not even the ZR1) is going to embarrass it during track days. Does it matter to a NFGT owner if he is embarrassed by a lowly Vette during a track day....only if he is honest.

Look forward to seeing you next week!!

It is very funny that some are comparing the FGT and the Viper. That's like a food critic is eating at a steak house and comparing it to a burger joint (yes, the Viper is the burger)

As been said, no FGT owner will care even a little bit about some other cars outperforming it. Just like most of us Viper guys not giving a crap about if some supercharged Mustang comes up and beats us in a straight line run. A Tesla will beat a Viper......does anyone care about that ?

I agree with Bruce. If you criticize some of these high end super cars, you just don't get it.

TrackAire hits the nail right on the head. The NFGT is beautiful. I would love to own one (but not at $500k -- to me, it's an NSX level car and should be priced at NSX level pricing which, without the discounts is approx. $200k).

But there seems to be something amiss with the performance. The ZR1 was literally out for 3 days before someone took it to the track, did highway rolls, strapped it to a dyno and posted the results all over the Internet. The NFGT has been out for close to a year now, and its nothing but crickets when it comes to discussing its performance.

My only guess is that it must fall really short for a $500k car that is supposedly bristling with tech. For that price, and with the supposed tech, it should be trouncing the Viper ACR, the NSX, the ZR1, the Performante, and the 720S. Yet, there is no evidence that it can take any of them (in a world when we expect such evidence to surface immediately upon release). So, what gives?

Bruce, what single driving oriented aspect is so great about the NFGT? And I'm not talking about its looks. I'm talking about aspects of a sports car that make it a better performing automobile than others. Remember that Porsche, Ferrari, etc. became such storied brands with consumers because their cars were so much more fun to drive than others -- with fun equating to sporty driving. If all the tech in the world does not make it go, stop, turn, handle better than other cars without all of the tech, then how is that a positive thing in the NFGT?

And investment wise, I'd be careful there. Yes, today there is demand to have something that looks as good as it does. If you're buying to sell it in 2 years, you'll likely do great. But 10 years from now, when all sports cars look amazing (and likely come from China), I could easily see NFGT viewed as a significant let-down. History has shown us some very pretty cars that failed badly because they did not meet expectations.
    Last edited by Scott_in_fl; 1 Day Ago at 11:19 AM.

I think that most new Ford GT owners are of the type that recognize that performance in situations that his car will never ever see is not of importance to him. . I bet none have sat down and figured out dollars per hp or dollars per lateral g or dollars per lap second at a track they will never run at. I very much doubt that most will ever run the car at 8/10ths on a track. Who really cares what we think about the value? The people who count, voted with their wallets and the car made perfect sense to many more people than there are cars. Ford hit the mark perfectly.
    Jim
    2002 GTS ACR -- sold -- ( enthusiastic custodian for 8 years )

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by commandomatt View Post
    It is very funny that some are comparing the FGT and the Viper. That's like a food critic is eating at a steak house and comparing it to a burger joint (yes, the Viper is the burger)

As been said, no FGT owner will care even a little bit about some other cars outperforming it. Just like most of us Viper guys not giving a crap about if some supercharged Mustang comes up and beats us in a straight line run. A Tesla will beat a Viper......does anyone care about that ?

I agree with Bruce. If you criticize some of these high end super cars, you just don't get it.

Not criticizing any car as I love anything mechanical and cool, regardless of cost or horsepower. I am criticizing Ford on their lack of transparency of unbiased performance figures and also the way they picked who gets the car. But, I'd like to know your honest answer to this. What if you found out that the NFGT could not complete 3 laps with a hot shoe driver at Laguna Seca before going into limp mode due to overheating issues? And lets say this was proven over and over again so it's a valid fact. Would you care if the car had this deficiency, would it make you proud that you spent $500k and you couldn't track the car even if you wanted to? I've been to the Ford GT forum yearly dinner and have competed in private track events with FGT owners. And yes they do care if their cars are fast and better than the competition. The amount of time and money spent on the 2005-2006 FGT's to make them faster only proves this fact. Most of these FGT owners are very proud to be driving an American icon, proud of the past records and proud of the mile run records many FGT have accomplished.

There may be a reason as to why Ford is not allowing numbers to come out. They appear to have some production issues trying to get the cars built. The delay letters to anointed buyers is pretty depressing, especially since they are building so few. Now add in underwhelming performance or performance issues such as overheating and Ford ends up with even more egg on their face. Maybe I'm wrong and they spit out a 1:30 lap at Laguna Seca, we'll see.

And yes, I do care if I get beat by a supercharged Mustang, a Ferrari or a Miata regardless of what I'm driving. I grew up in a time when participation trophies did not exist and only first place mattered. If you lost, you'd go home, lick your wounds and figure out how to be the winner next time. But hey, that's just me and my standards.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    Not criticizing any car as I love anything mechanical and cool, regardless of cost or horsepower. I am criticizing Ford on their lack of transparency of unbiased performance figures and also the way they picked who gets the car. But, I'd like to know your honest answer to this. What if you found out that the NFGT could not complete 3 laps with a hot shoe driver at Laguna Seca before going into limp mode due to overheating issues? And lets say this was proven over and over again so it's a valid fact. Would you care if the car had this deficiency, would it make you proud that you spent $500k and you couldn't track the car even if you wanted to? I've been to the Ford GT forum yearly dinner and have competed in private track events with FGT owners. And yes they do care if their cars are fast and better than the competition. The amount of time and money spent on the 2005-2006 FGT's to make them faster only proves this fact. Most of these FGT owners are very proud to be driving an American icon, proud of the past records and proud of the mile run records many FGT have accomplished.

There may be a reason as to why Ford is not allowing numbers to come out. They appear to have some production issues trying to get the cars built. The delay letters to anointed buyers is pretty depressing, especially since they are building so few. Now add in underwhelming performance or performance issues such as overheating and Ford ends up with even more egg on their face. Maybe I'm wrong and they spit out a 1:30 lap at Laguna Seca, we'll see.

And yes, I do care if I get beat by a supercharged Mustang, a Ferrari or a Miata regardless of what I'm driving. I grew up in a time when participation trophies did not exist and only first place mattered. If you lost, you'd go home, lick your wounds and figure out how to be the winner next time. But hey, that's just me and my standards.
    It already beat The ACR’s laptime at VIR and Ford wasn’t even trying. Ford had 3 people there including the driver and they were conserving tires with very limited track time too. Lol at the performance being unimpressive. Acr has more downforce wider tires, both cars have virtually the same power with Ford GT being lighter.
    2015 Viper SRT
    2007 Night Rod Special

I am not sure why you are stuck on the overheating. That said, I haven't really followed much of what has been revealed. Are they having possible issues or are you just making this scenario up and building a case around it ? If you are basing it on nothing, then you can just make anything up that could be a concern and that's a bit like being guilty until proven innocent

To answer your question though. Of course I wouldn't be happy if there were issues with this car. However, I don't think there is anything wrong. I think this car is going to prove itself once out there. Of course, this is just my opinion

If you do care that much about getting beat.....you are setting yourself up for a lot of disappointments. Our Vipers are getting further and further behind as other cars are being developed and coming to market. I would rather get beat by (actually not even race) that Mustang knowing that I get to drive my Viper home. I am not looking for 1st place trophies and think there is a whole lot more to a car owning experience than getting first to the finish line

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona

I've never seen any Ford GT at the track, ever. Has anyone on here ran against any year Ford GT on a racetrack? If I could afford a new Ford GT i wouldn't care at all about the lap times it can do, it's not the point IMO. Leave that to McClaren and Porsche.
    I bought a 2005 and stuck a big whipple on it and it sits in my garage and does half mile events once a year. People don't care at all at what it runs, but it's still the star of the show anywhere it goes.
    2013 9.0 liter track car, 2016 ACR, 96 GTS, 01 RT/10, 03 SRT/10, '16 Megacab, '05 Ford GT

I suppose that I'll just have to accept that it was built as a heritage car, which is great for some people, even though that is not what many of us hardcore types were expecting (and led to believe was coming).

IMO, if an American MFG is going to build "a race car with lights" with a $500k ask, then I expect it to be something like a Saleen S7 or a Hennessey Venom F5. The damn thing should have had 1,000hp and be spitting flames 10 feet long on decel rev-match shifts. Isn't that the American way? I mean really, this is Ford we're talking about. They have some incredibly deep performance know-how with Cosworth power and numerous chassis partners and the NFGT was the best they could do??? Wow.

What do you think Ralph, Dick and the rest of the Arrow/Prefix crew could come up with on a similar budget and a similar per unit target price? Think they might be able to create something that beats an NSX? How about a 720S? How about GM? Think they could build something amazing with a $500k price point?

The point is that I thought Ford was creating an American supercar to lay waste to all comers and now it seems they were creating a trophy that nobody drives (because apparently the people buying them don't care if the car actually drives -- hell, Ford should've just shipped them with four-cylinder engines making 200hp because you're "missing the point" if you expected extreme performance and all we really care about is how great it looks). And I don't want to hear about safety regulation this or that, because at that price point it is a hand-built racer and you can find a way to make it work (McLaren found a way).
    Last edited by Scott_in_fl; 6 Hours Ago at 03:27 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_fl View Post
    I understand that it was built as a heritage car, and I suppose that is great for some people, but that was not what many of us hardcore types were expecting (and led to believe).

If an American MFG is going to build "a race car with lights" with a $500k ask, then I expect it to be something like a Saleen S7 or a Hennessey Venom F5. The damn thing should have had 1,000hp and be spitting flames 10 feet long on decel rev-match shifts. I mean really, this is Ford we're talking about. They have some incredibly deep performance know-how with Cosworth power and numerous chassis partners and the NFGT was the best they could do??? Wow.

What do you think Ralph, Dick and the rest of the Arrow/Prefix crew could come up with on a similar budget and a similar per unit target price? Think they might be able to create something that beats an NSX? How about a 720S? How about GM? Think they could build something amazing with a $500k price point?

The point is that I thought Ford was creating an American supercar to lay waste to all comers and now it seems they were creating a trophy that nobody drives (because apparently the people buying them don't care if the car actually drives -- hell, Ford should've just shipped them with four-cylinder engines making 200hp because you're "missing the point" if you expected extreme performance and all we really care about is how great it looks). And I don't want to hear about safety regulation this or that, because at that price point it is a hand-built racer and you can find a way to make it work (McLaren found a way).
    So what you're saying is owning the NFGT is the equivalent to being married to a supermodel wife that that hates sex and everybody knows it. Yeah, she's great to look at but.........well, you know

IMO, if the NFGT can't get into the 1:31's at Laguna Seca, the car is a performance failure. At least match a Ferrari 488, similar weight and horsepower but with more aero on the NFGT.

At least the NFGT is going to look exquisite parked in the man cave garage and will be the star of every "Cars and Coffee" it attends.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario

Look forward to seeing you next week!!
    You too George, and Tamara also we hope! We missed getting out to Cali on a track trip last fall but hoping to see you track rats on the Friday where I'll be riding along with TA Two Oh in his black TA. Expecting the added down force to push him to a new track record, but hey, no pressure
    2014 SRT Black TA. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Quebec
    Wish I could join the party ! Hope you guys have a real good time in Vegas !
    Claude, '16 GTC-TA2.0 Black, Arrow PCM, Belanger, AR mufflers, 3.91 gears, UP Pulley
    '13 Viper GTS/Track pack, White / '15 E63 S AMG / '12 Harley FLH SE built 135 ci
    '17 Porsche 911 TTS Cabrio

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    NY/CT

The truth is that most manufacturers of exotic cars choose who gets the car, they just don't publicize it. Cars like LaFerrari, P1, Vulcan, etc are all sold to people who have been chosen by the manufacturer. There is no official process or application and you don't need to submit stupid videos and prove that you are an "influencer" (I just threw up in my mouth saying that outloud). You are either chosen or not. Although Ford is not an exotic car manufacturer across the board, most people will agree that FGT is definitely on the same level as some of the high-end cars out there. So kudos to Ford using a transparent process to distribute cars that are in very high demand (I think Ford said the amount of applications received exceeded the amount of cars produced by a factor of 4). Same goes for flipping. Ford makes people sign a contract but other manufacturers dont. If you flip a car too soon, they will not hit you with a lawsuit, but you will NEVER get approved for the next rare model.

As far as performance is concerned, I'm just going to say this: Today a stock 720s does quarter mile faster than a P1. What I'm saying is in 2 years time FGT performance figures will be old news and nobody will care anyway.

at the end of the day my gut is telling me a 2018 Corvette C7 Z06 (not even the ZR1) is going to embarrass it during track days.
    lmao. I love you guys
    2008 ACR

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122