Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Did they say who the driver was? He was an old fat dude. Why the fuck would he turn the stability control off? LOL
    2013 9.0 liter track car, 2016 ACR, 96 GTS, 01 RT/10, 03 SRT/10, '16 Megacab, '05 Ford GT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Southern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Did they say who the driver was? He was an old fat dude. Why the fuck would he turn the stability control off? LOL
    Mark Reuss

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Reuss

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by catwood View Post
    LOL. Somebody turned the stability control off on that car, big mistake. Duh.
    2013 9.0 liter track car, 2016 ACR, 96 GTS, 01 RT/10, 03 SRT/10, '16 Megacab, '05 Ford GT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Remember all the hype when the Z06 was announced? Yea me too. That was fun.
    2009 SSG ACR Hardcore 1 of 1 before it was cool
    2017 SSG ACR-eXtreme 1 of 1 after it was cool

Member #111

Lol- One day you will be Old...If you are lucky!

Being Older than the exec who crashed, I clearly remember the 1971 Indy 500 when the pace car driven by a local Dodge Dealer couldn't get stopped at the end of pit lane. Ran into the crowd injuring 29 people. Following the accident only former Race Drivers were allowed to drive the pace car.
    Bob

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Southern California
    Sunday Cars & Coffee event in Detroit => YouTube explodes!

Ego's got bruised but glad everybody walked away..
    '08 Very Viper Orange SRT-10 Coupe | The Orange Lure | Trademarks ® : "The Viperverse"; "SSG With Envy"; HVD - "Historical Viper Documents"; "Viperirony"; PVD - "Physical Viper Deposition"

Enthusiast
    His bio doesn't say whether he is a racer like Ralph Gilles; but does say: "A lifelong auto enthusiast, Reuss is a certified industry pool test driver on the North Course of the Nürburgring Motorsport Racetrack in Germany, and is licensed for FIA C and IMSA Road Racing." https://www.gm.com/company/leadershi...ark-reuss.html

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNoMcL5Zsw8

I did see something kind of interesting. Look at the video at 30 seconds. The car is turning left but sliding right and rolled to the right and he is counter-steering hard right, but because of the caster and with the wheel turned hard right, he has big-time negative camber on the left front and positive camber on the right. The left front tire has almost no track surface contact and the right front is only contacting the pavement on the outside edge. That would make it real hard, if not impossible, to turn the nose to the right, like he is trying to do. I suspect the hump he just went over didn't help much as it probably also upset the balance. All that and a heavy right foot with 755 hp and there you go.

Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNoMcL5Zsw8

I did see something kind of interesting. Look at the video at 30 seconds. The car is turning left but sliding right and rolled to the right and he is counter-steering hard right, but because of the caster and with the wheel turned hard right, he has big-time negative camber on the left front and positive camber on the right. The left front tire has almost no track surface contact and the right front is only contacting the pavement on the outside edge. That would make it real hard, if not impossible, to turn the nose to the right, like he is trying to do. I suspect the hump he just went over didn't help much as it probably also upset the balance. All that and a heavy right foot with 755 hp and there you go.

Pappy

And if this was an automatic car which I'm sure it was, as he accelerated to get going there is a good chance the car kicked down a gear and the increased rpms overpowered the tires very quickly. If you watch this in real time, it happened so damn fast that 90% of the drivers (even experienced) would not have caught it. Who knows what other issues and distractions were going on like people yelling instructions into his headphones, etc....it only takes a split second distraction on the track to cause an issue like this. Cold tires, a hump in the road, tons of hp and a lot of adrenaline....a recipe that has caused a lot worse outcomes.

I'm pretty sure he is not feeling great today.......Very violent head snap as he hit the wall. I hope he and the passenger don't have any lasting physical damage.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Northern California

Watch the road atlanta video, the car is a handful just like the z06. Very twitchy on the corners, the rear end just isnt planted.

The car especially in manual mode isnt for rookies, especially with traction control off. I drive with traction control on because my experience is limited to shifter karts and not high horsepower street cars on street tires!!!
    2015 Viper SRT
    2007 Night Rod Special

VOA Member
    since 2017
    New Jersey
    Based on my knowledge and experience driving Corvettes on and off the track (I also have 2008 Z06 that is modified), the antiquated lazily engineered leaf springs do not handle sudden jolts when applied to both wheels (e.g., going across expansion joints in a turn or straightaway). In those situations the suspension acts like a solid axle and gives a very unsettling side movement to the car. In that situation for a split second it feels the car is moving left/right and if the driver tries to correct it a spin will most definitely follow. The best thing to do at that point is to loosen the grip and let the car do its thing and then keep going. It literally feels like the entire rear-end or front-end tires/suspension are dislocated from the car. It feels like an old school panhard has broken!

Quote Originally Posted by 512BB View Post
    Based on my knowledge and experience driving Corvettes on and off the track (I also have 2008 Z06 that is modified), the antiquated lazily engineered leaf springs do not handle sudden jolts when applied to both wheels (e.g., going across expansion joints in a turn or straightaway). In those situations the suspension acts like a solid axle and gives a very unsettling side movement to the car. In that situation for a split second it feels the car is moving left/right and if the driver tries to correct it a spin will most definitely follow. The best thing to do at that point is to loosen the grip and let the car do its thing and then keep going. It literally feels like the entire rear-end or front-end tires/suspension are dislocated from the car. It feels like an old school panhard has broken!
    Maybe this Exec will take the experience back to the design guys and get rid of the transverse springs for coil overs?
    Bob

Aligned properly with slicks on it the ZR1 is going to be fast and reasonably easy to drive. This Exec just got caught out. I don't think anyone knows why he didn't open his hands while anticipating that the car was going to slide or if he even knows what that means. What we do know is that he decided to leave it WTFO, ride it out, and hope for the best. I bet it was just like a slow motion nightmare for him. I am sure he could not believe it was happening. I saw this yesterday and it made me smile #winnersneverlift

Quote Originally Posted by stradman View Post
    Here's the thing Bruce. I don't get all this being "competitive" at the track business. Unless you are in an actual performance event that judges your time, the majority of track events are just for having fun right? And if we accept it is for fun then its hard to argue with a manual box not contributing more to this fun, by virtue of needing to do more things and getting them right, compared to a flappy box. I also think, egotistically at least, I feel better when I am as fast or faster than the other flappy paddled cars because I know I have worked harder to achieve this, and which requires more skill to achieve this, and had more fun doing so to boot. Sure the automated boxes has opened up a demographic that perhaps wouldn't have gone on to track, but only because a MT box takes longer to master and many people do not want to take that time. Whether that "exonerates" them, depends on your viewpoint. I don't believe that there is anyone who with time, cannot learn to properly heel and toe, and master great shifts. Whether they want to bother is another thing. Btw there is no place, which you suggest, that I cannot shift with MT. Of course you will want to prepare and plan your track run accordingly to be as efficient as possible in terms of being in the right gear to begin with. Just requires practice and thinking, which is something the Automated boxes do for you. Not for me that's all.
    So much truth in this post.
    2009 VBB ACR

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Central North Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post
    I saw this yesterday and it made me smile #winnersneverlift
    '17 ACR-E GTS-R Blue, '14 911 Turbo, '16 Charger Hellcat

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    There are some longer corner sequences that when driven on the limits of grip will upset the car as soon as the clutch is depressed for an upshift in the same way that lifting or braking will break the rear lose in corners where you are likewise "committed" to throttle for balance. T5b and T5c at Mosport is one such example, making you either enter T5b in 2nd at higher rpm and short shift on entry into T5C or go into T5b in 3rd with lower power and stay on it through 5C. Both choices are compromised but cars with DCT, or power bands with more torque at lower rpms, definitely have the advantage. It matters on this course as T5b/c sequence launches you on to the long back straight where any improvement in exit speed is multiplied all the way down the long straight.

But never let it be said that I have anything against those who are happy to drive at a slower pace, or those who want to be as fast as possible using other advantages like tires, aero, suspension, whatever. If/when I let someone pry the TA out of my hands I intend to seek out every last advantage available...which will likely include a mid-rear engine layout or front-mid with AWD that can really put the power down. Until then I'm still loving the old school approach

Bruce
    2014 SRT Black TA. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Supposedly the new Aventador SVJ just ran a 6.44 at the Ring- http://www.thedrive.com/news/22398/l...urgring-record
    Lambo does some sneaky stuff with tires etc though. This will never end as long as manufacturers deem Ring times important for their brands/sales.
    The giant leaps in times we have seen in the last few years is mostly tires.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Central North Florida
    Agreed. There is a very long discussion about the tires on the GT2 RS on another forum. The tires that Porsche is using may appear similar to the MPSC2, the compound is far more advanced. Much of the improvement in the GT3 RS came from tires, not mechanical upgrades. And those tires are currently not available, and even when they become available, they'll be very limited. And expensive.
    S.
    '17 ACR-E GTS-R Blue, '14 911 Turbo, '16 Charger Hellcat

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorman View Post
    Agreed. There is a very long discussion about the tires on the GT2 RS on another forum. The tires that Porsche is using may appear similar to the MPSC2, the compound is far more advanced. Much of the improvement in the GT3 RS came from tires, not mechanical upgrades. And those tires are currently not available, and even when they become available, they'll be very limited. And expensive.
    S.
    Yeah agreed. The GT2 RS tires take it to another level. People that don't track their cars have no idea how it all comes down to tires.

Supposedly the new Aventador SVJ just ran a 6.44 at the Ring- http://www.thedrive.com/news/22398/l...urgring-record
    Lambo does some sneaky stuff with tires etc though. This will never end as long as manufacturers deem Ring times important for their brands/sales.
    The giant leaps in times we have seen in the last few years is mostly tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorman View Post
    S.
    Yeah agreed. The GT2 RS tires take it to another level. People that don't track their cars have no idea how it all comes down to tires.
    Don't forget the "improvements" made to the 'Ring in recent years. I'm sure it has helped lower the times as well. I'd love to see a Gen 4 ACR make a run on this version of the Ring to get a better comparison.
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group
    2016 Focus RS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

yea tires are the best single part upgrade to a car. Everything improves with better tires.
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Quebec
    Glad to hear this, as I just ordered some new track tires for my Turbo S and went with the MPSC2 N2 in GT2RS spec.
    Can't wait to try this set-up !
    Claude, '16 GTC-TA2.0 Black, Arrow PCM, Belanger, AR mufflers, 3.91 gears, UP Pulley
    '13 Viper GTS/Track pack, White / '15 E63 S AMG / '12 Harley FLH SE built 135 ci
    '17 Porsche 911 TTS Cabrio

What difference does it make IF he was FAT or OLD? SMDH
    13' SRT Viper, 00' RT/10 Viper, 18' LS500 Lexus, 15' RCF Lexus, 08' H2 Hummer

VOA Member
    since 2018
    VA/MD/DC/DE

not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but when I watched the video, it looked to me that as he was losing control of the car, turning sideways, he kept giving it gas.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by blingnoring View Post
    not sure if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but when I watched the video, it looked to me that as he was losing control of the car, turning sideways, he kept giving it gas.
    When in doubt,.. floor it
    When seconds count - lose a finger; it's extra weight! Who needs 10 anyway?

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526