BC Coilover height question

I have recently installed BC coilovers, and had a alignment done also. My height from the floor up to the center of fenders are:

Driver front 26"
    Passenger front 25 3/4"

Driver rear 27 3/4"
    Passenger rear 27 1/4"

So my question is, is this normal to be off from side to side a 1/4" in front and 1/2" in the rear. The drivers side sets up slightly higher as you can tell by the measurements. The coilovers were adjusted equally from side to side, and I had the alignment done with a full tank of gas. Should I adjust one side to make it more level? My understanding of adjusting the coilovers that they need to be adjusted equally from side to side. Do I need to be concern, or is this normal for the height to be slightly off? Any advice or help would be appreciated!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Houston
    Just curious. What were the measurements before?
    Never Use Aftershave That Does Not Have A Ship on the Bottle.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Oklahoma
    Measure from ground to frame. Find centerline of the front spindle and mark on the frame and the same for rear. Measuring to body panels that can move doesn’t give you a consistent point of reference.

I didn't measure before installing the coilovers, I was at factory stock height.

Quote Originally Posted by venomous08 View Post
    Measure from ground to frame. Find centerline of the front spindle and mark on the frame and the same for rear. Measuring to body panels that can move doesn’t give you a consistent point of reference.
    Will do, thank you!

Damn. How much are your body panels moving in relation to the frame?
    As long as it is not yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by WALKING TALL View Post
    I have recently installed BC coilovers, and had a alignment done also. My height from the floor up to the center of fenders are:

Driver front 26"
    Passenger front 25 3/4"

Driver rear 27 3/4"
    Passenger rear 27 1/4"

So my question is, is this normal to be off from side to side a 1/4" in front and 1/2" in the rear. The drivers side sets up slightly higher as you can tell by the measurements. The coilovers were adjusted equally from side to side, and I had the alignment done with a full tank of gas. Should I adjust one side to make it more level? My understanding of adjusting the coilovers that they need to be adjusted equally from side to side. Do I need to be concern, or is this normal for the height to be slightly off? Any advice or help would be appreciated!
    I have my car riding a bit high right now as I set it up for some cross country driving. So mine are up about a 1/4" to 1/2" more than yours. I had the car corner weighted some time ago, and when I did they put 225lbs worth of bags in my drivers seat, and yes, my driver's side is a bit higher. I do NOT have more than 3/8" difference side to side with me not in the car. When I adjust my suspension for height, I always make sure to keep the corner weighted ratio when it comes to numbers of turns. Surely it is not perfectly corner weighted any more, but should be close. So all in all, what you have does not seem out of whack. Hope this helps get your answer.

Mine are the same with the same exact setup. Driver front 26", passenger front 25 3/4", driver rear 27 1/2" and passenger rear 27 1/2"... I did start completely over with my setup after further research on this forum. Initially I torqued the coilovers at the perch without putting load on the suspension. This was throwing my ride height off a bit. Also I began chasing coilover height adjustments per corner to try to level it all out, but to no avail... The car handled like crap after doing so. After loading the suspension, re-torquing the perches, and adjusting the coilover length with the same amount of threads showing on front and rear, everything leveled out to the above measurements. 1" of thread in front and 1 1/4" thread in rear. I did also notice when adjusting the coilover length, it was inadvertently adjusting the preload, so make sure to measure your preload which should be no more than 4mm while you are adjusting your coilover length.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by FrgMstr View Post
    Damn. How much are your body panels moving in relation to the frame?
    None but if you want a consistent measurement from car to car that’s the place to go. That’s also the place you are supposed to set ride height from.

None but if you want a consistent measurement from car to car that’s the place to go. That’s also the place you are supposed to set ride height from.
    And that is exactly how I set ride height. But the guy was just asking for an eyeball of what is going on.

I have my car riding a bit high right now as I set it up for some cross country driving. So mine are up about a 1/4" to 1/2" more than yours. I had the car corner weighted some time ago, and when I did they put 225lbs worth of bags in my drivers seat, and yes, my driver's side is a bit higher. I do NOT have more than 3/8" difference side to side with me not in the car. When I adjust my suspension for height, I always make sure to keep the corner weighted ratio when it comes to numbers of turns. Surely it is not perfectly corner weighted any more, but should be close. So all in all, what you have does not seem out of whack. Hope this helps get your answer.

Would it be uncommon to adjust one coilover maybe slightly more on one side than the other? The reason I asked is today I looked at the suspension from front to back to see if they are any defects in any of the suspension parts and didn't really see any thing that looked cracked, worn or loose. When I lowered the car back on the ground I decided to jack up the passenger side rear, but not very much until I got the same height as I did on the drivers rear which was 27 3/4". So basically when I jack up the passenger side I got the same height from side to side in the rear 27 1/2" and front was almost the same at 25 3/4", within 1/8" from side to side. So is it uncommon to adjust one coilover slightly more on one side?

Quote Originally Posted by CoveySRT10 View Post
    Mine are the same with the same exact setup. Driver front 26", passenger front 25 3/4", driver rear 27 1/2" and passenger rear 27 1/2"... I did start completely over with my setup after further research on this forum. Initially I torqued the coilovers at the perch without putting load on the suspension. This was throwing my ride height off a bit. Also I began chasing coilover height adjustments per corner to try to level it all out, but to no avail... The car handled like crap after doing so. After loading the suspension, re-torquing the perches, and adjusting the coilover length with the same amount of threads showing on front and rear, everything leveled out to the above measurements. 1" of thread in front and 1 1/4" thread in rear. I did also notice when adjusting the coilover length, it was inadvertently adjusting the preload, so make sure to measure your preload which should be no more than 4mm while you are adjusting your coilover length.

I did the same, putting load on the suspension and then tightening all the bolts. And adjusting the coilovers equally the same from side to side.

Would it be uncommon to adjust one coilover maybe slightly more on one side than the other? The reason I asked is today I looked at the suspension from front to back to see if they are any defects in any of the suspension parts and didn't really see any thing that looked cracked, worn or loose. When I lowered the car back on the ground I decided to jack up the passenger side rear, but not very much until I got the same height as I did on the drivers rear which was 27 3/4". So basically when I jack up the passenger side I got the same height from side to side in the rear 27 1/2" and front was almost the same at 25 3/4", within 1/8" from side to side. So is it uncommon to adjust one coilover slightly more on one side?
    Well, in an ideal world, especially if you want to "drive" the car, you would want the suspension to load the "same" on all corners, which is what corner weighting is. But if you are dialing in for looks, the reality is you are fine unless you are really pushing the car. So sure you can adjust corners independently for looks. Any changes you make can change up your alignment geometry though.

As for dropping the car direct off the jack and measuring, you are not going to get a good measurement. Need to move the car around some to let the suspension settle out to normal load position.

You might try counting the threads on the suspension, equalling that out and starting from there. If you are going to make a bunch of big changes, you are likely better off getting an alignment afterwards.

Well, in an ideal world, especially if you want to "drive" the car, you would want the suspension to load the "same" on all corners, which is what corner weighting is. But if you are dialing in for looks, the reality is you are fine unless you are really pushing the car. So sure you can adjust corners independently for looks. Any changes you make can change up your alignment geometry though.

As for dropping the car direct off the jack and measuring, you are not going to get a good measurement. Need to move the car around some to let the suspension settle out to normal load position.

You might try counting the threads on the suspension, equalling that out and starting from there. If you are going to make a bunch of big changes, you are likely better off getting an alignment afterwards.

Those measurements were taking after the car had been moved around some. Another question, I've seen a few youtube videos were people measured the coilovers from end to end almost to set the height equally, I measured between the lock rings. Which way is better?

Those measurements were taking after the car had been moved around some. Another question, I've seen a few youtube videos were people measured the coilovers from end to end almost to set the height equally, I measured between the lock rings. Which way is better?
    Your guess is as good as mine. I always count threads, but that is the same as measuring.

I measured between the lock rings as well, but like i said before, measure the overall length of your spring as well as it tends to adjust when tweaking the ride height. At least in my case

Quote Originally Posted by CoveySRT10 View Post
    I measured between the lock rings as well, but like i said before, measure the overall length of your spring as well as it tends to adjust when tweaking the ride height. At least in my case
    Did your springs vary in length? As I mention above I had seen youtube videos were some are measuring from one end to almost the other end of the coilover as well. I guess the overall length of the coilover could vary some too.

The springs are the same length on the fronts, and the same length on the rears. I just made sure the fronts and rears had 4mm of preload before I started adjusting ride height. Once I got the height dialed in, I release red my spring lengths and noticed variances between them so I had t rinse and repeat a few times before everything was g2g

i had all of mine setup before i installed it on the car. thought that would make it faster to tweak. once all were installed i drove a couple of miles to have them all settle. After they settled, i notice one corner was 1/4 inch lower. I jacked up the car and raise that corner and drove a couple of more miles the height has been consistence since. i believe i went 1.25 all the way around lower. the car is getting painted now if not i would go measure it for you.

good luck,
    Sid

Quote Originally Posted by sidwin View Post
    i had all of mine setup before i installed it on the car. thought that would make it faster to tweak. once all were installed i drove a couple of miles to have them all settle. After they settled, i notice one corner was 1/4 inch lower. I jacked up the car and raise that corner and drove a couple of more miles the height has been consistence since. i believe i went 1.25 all the way around lower. the car is getting painted now if not i would go measure it for you.

good luck,
    Sid

That's what I was thinking of doing, is to raise one corner which would be the passenger side rear corner close to 1/2" and see if it will even out front to back. I also called and spoke with a BC racing tech guy yesterday and asked if I was to adjust coilovers equally from side to side or can they be adjusted individually to get height even. He said to adjust individually to get the car height to set even. Hopefully by adjusting one coilover between 1/4" to 1/2" will not affect ride quality.

It may not affect ride quality much, but your corner weights will be off a lot if you just go to one shock and do all the adjusting by that much. Best to adjust shock pairs - either across or diagonally to get things evened out. It's also easier to get your ride heights if the shocks are adjusted full soft.

If you are still riding on stock suspension bushings, then you should definitely look up and utilize the preloading and torquing procedure in the shop manual as closely as you are able. You will be wanting a little lower ride height than OEM, but having unbalanced wishbone bushing preload leads to very unpredictable handling. The frame should be approximately level across at both front and rear axle lines, with 3/8 to 1/2" rake front-rear. After that, get your alignment reset.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 6 Days Ago at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    It may not affect ride quality much, but your corner weights will be off a lot if you just go to one shock and do all the adjusting by that much. Best to adjust shock pairs - either across or diagonally to get things evened out. It's also easier to get your ride heights if the shocks are adjusted full soft.

If you are still riding on stock suspension bushings, then you should definitely look up and utilize the preloading and torquing procedure in the shop manual as closely as you are able. You will be wanting a little lower ride height than OEM, but having unbalanced wishbone bushing preload leads to very unpredictable handling. The frame should be approximately level across at both front and rear axle lines, with 3/8 to 1/2" rake front-rear. After that, get your alignment reset.

Thank you for the info! When I had spoken with BC racing's tech guy the other day he wasn't clear on how to adjust like you mention, either side to side or diagonally. But it would make sense to make the adjustments in pairs like you mention. I'm afraid if I do side by side its only going to continue to be off from side to side on my height, but tweaking it diagonally I think I will have a better chance of getting the height more evenly from side to side as much as possible. Also I didn't think about setting the coilovers on the softest setting before adjusting them, but if it makes a difference I'll do that too. Thanks again!