Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 31 of 31
  1. #26
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    North Texas

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lipan, Texas
    Posts
    363
    First thankx to LuisV for all his help.

    Just finished replacing my tank with one from a wrecked Viper. However, there was an issue with the replacement tank.

    The fuel pump did not go into the newer tank as I had thought it would. The opening seemed smaller than the original one in the car.
    Turns out it was smaller. Had to use a smaller seal and bevel the opening a slight bit. Then the pump went in fine.

    Both tanks have the same part number .. probably different manufacturers.

    Luckily, when the replacement tank arrived, it still had a seal in it. Almost threw it away ... luckily I didn't.

    One other thing. I used speed nuts and lag screws to replace the fuel pump access panel and the closeout panel.
    Just in case this has to be re-done in the future.

    Still miffed MOPAR does not continue to make the tank or closeout panel. I still have the original tank and will gladly ship it to any company willing to make new ones again.

    If you know of such an animal, let me know and I will followup.

  2. #27
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Luisv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by gfviperman View Post
    First thankx to LuisV for all his help.

    Just finished replacing my tank with one from a wrecked Viper. However, there was an issue with the replacement tank.

    The fuel pump did not go into the newer tank as I had thought it would. The opening seemed smaller than the original one in the car.
    Turns out it was smaller. Had to use a smaller seal and bevel the opening a slight bit. Then the pump went in fine.

    Both tanks have the same part number .. probably different manufacturers.

    Luckily, when the replacement tank arrived, it still had a seal in it. Almost threw it away ... luckily I didn't.

    One other thing. I used speed nuts and lag screws to replace the fuel pump access panel and the closeout panel.
    Just in case this has to be re-done in the future.

    Still miffed MOPAR does not continue to make the tank or closeout panel. I still have the original tank and will gladly ship it to any company willing to make new ones again.

    If you know of such an animal, let me know and I will followup.
    A pleasure to help.

    Sorry to her about the tank and fuel pump issue. I am really surprised that there was a difference even though the part numbers are the same. For my car, the donor tank came out of a 2001, if I recall, but matched perfectly.

    On the screws for the pump removal plate, I did the same when i put it in. That was a good idea.

    I kept my tank as well. I was thinking the same about making a replacement, but i was considering aluminum and coating it. That way it never leaks. I figured I'd wait to see if it happens again.....which, of course, means it never will.....but I'm good with that.

    Glad it all worked out!
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

  3. #28
    Man this is a hell of a post, LUIS. I've had precisely the same tank problem ever since I bot my 2002 RT10 in 2018, so it's short drives all the time. My local Dodge dealer decided they're not going to work on "old" Vipers anymore. Between your post and my Viper being an RT10 I'm going to fix it myself since the tank is infinitely easier to access. We talked on the phone recently about my Alpine problem too (another great pictorial). My Best, Alex T (Graphite Snake) Check out the RT10.DSC_0025.jpg

  4. #29
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Luisv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite Snake View Post
    Man this is a hell of a post, LUIS. I've had precisely the same tank problem ever since I bot my 2002 RT10 in 2018, so it's short drives all the time. My local Dodge dealer decided they're not going to work on "old" Vipers anymore. Between your post and my Viper being an RT10 I'm going to fix it myself since the tank is infinitely easier to access. We talked on the phone recently about my Alpine problem too (another great pictorial). My Best, Alex T (Graphite Snake) Check out the RT10.
    Yes this is far easier to do on the RT's because you already have the cutout panel done. The one thing to remember on this one is to access the tank securing bolts on the side from the wheel wells. It makes for a far easier removal. Good luck! Glad the writeup helped.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

  5. #30
    VOA Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    USAFPILOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    507
    is there a how to for the fuel sending unit on a GEn1?

  6. #31
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Luisv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
    is there a how to for the fuel sending unit on a GEn1?
    While I have not done one, I would tell you it's more difficult than on a Gen 2 GTS. The pump is removed from the top of the tank, just like a Gen 2 but you have to remove the tank on an RT/10. On the Gen 2 GTS's you have an access panel on the deck behind the seats. (I show it on one of the pics in the write up) On the Gen 1 and/or RT/10's you have to remove the tank. Two things.... First, I don't know for certain if the Gen 1's have the access panel there for the tank removal. The Gen 2 RT/10's did. That's the panel I purchased and used for my GTS. If the Gen 1 has to be done, you may have to go through the cut in the trunk as I did in the write up. Second, I don't know is if the Gen 2 cover I used from an RT/10 will work for you.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •