Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Windshield wiper arms

Has anyone retrofitted different windshield wiper arms, so you can use none Mopar/Viper specific wipers? I'm looking to use less expensive wiper is the reason. Thanks.
    06 Srt10 Coupe, 09 Smart Car Brabus

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    So you purchased an 06 Viper and you don't want to spend money on the proper / factory blades?
    Just want to make sure I have this correct.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    So you purchased an 06 Viper and you don't want to spend money on the proper / factory blades?
    Im sure he just wants to use the same wipers that are on his 09 smart car. Saves the trip to the dealer and get both cars taken care of at autozone
    2010 ACR absolutely stock

2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | 11.33 @ 128.72, 1.95 60' (+1,625 ft DA, w/ 3.07s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverACR View Post
    I’m sure he just wants to use the same wipers that are on his 09 smart car. Saves the trip to the dealer and get both cars taken care of at autozone
    Considering there are so many interchangeable parts between the Viper and the smart car...this is really a good idea

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by commandomatt View Post
    Considering there are so many interchangeable parts between the Viper and the smart car...this is really a good idea
    You could prolly find a budget ACR wing here! LOL2E0A418A-CF2A-47AA-84BE-73A7F29E40FC.jpeg
    2010 ACR absolutely stock

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    I needed a pair quickly a couple of years ago, but shipping was 2 weeks from the USA, so I took my old blades to a local car accessory shop in the UK, and bought some similar looking wiper inserts, and a tube of black adhesive (total cost $20 ish)

I removed all traces of the old rubber and cut the new inserts to length. It is a messy job with the adhesive (Tiger Seal or similar) so use gloves. After a couple of hours held in place with tape until cured, I had a pair of wipers again.

I fitted the Mopar replacements when they arrived, but I still have my home-made replacements as back up

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar

Funny.......... and AZ /CA gets sooooooo much rain !

NAPA has generics for $18 ea. Why replace psgr blade? They dont need to see clearly....
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Correct, if there is a less expensive, blade/solution then I think it would be smart to use it.

Is your car soley serviced by the dealership with only OEM parts?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverACR View Post
    Im sure he just wants to use the same wipers that are on his 09 smart car. Saves the trip to the dealer and get both cars taken care of at autozone
    Actually, you might be on to something. Smart is owned by Mercedes Benz a Daimler subsidiary. And, as we all know Chrysler was owned by Daimler until 2007. Which means, you inadvertently, may have given me an option to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Funny.......... and AZ /CA gets sooooooo much rain !

NAPA has generics for $18 ea. Why replace psgr blade? They dont need to see clearly....
    I was thinking of removing the windshield then I won't even need wiper blades, lol.

Thank you sir, I should learn how to use the search function a little better.

The major problem I see with sourcing cheap(er) replacements is that the Viper wipers look like nothing I've ever seen on any other vehicle. Not that I really pay attention to what a vehicle's windshield wipers look like, but still. As you've already seen, this topic comes up every couple years or so, and it was the same over on the other site. That I'm aware of, no one really was able to come up with a solution, and the Viper has been using that same design since 2003, and I can only assume it continued on through the 2013-2017 model years as well.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | 11.33 @ 128.72, 1.95 60' (+1,625 ft DA, w/ 3.07s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    The major problem I see with sourcing cheap(er) replacements is that the Viper wipers look like nothing I've ever seen on any other vehicle. Not that I really pay attention to what a vehicle's windshield wipers look like, but still. As you've already seen, this topic comes up every couple years or so, and it was the same over on the other site. That I'm aware of, no one really was able to come up with a solution, and the Viper has been using that same design since 2003, and I can only assume it continued on through the 2013-2017 model years as well.
    Right on thanks for the info.
    06 Srt10 Coupe, 09 Smart Car Brabus

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman2006 View Post
    Is your car soley serviced by the dealership with only OEM parts?
    For the most part, I exclusively work on my car myself unless I get lazy. And yes, it gets factory parts including fluids.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

For the most part, I exclusively work on my car myself unless I get lazy. And yes, it gets factory parts including fluids.
    So you own a Dodge Viper but don't want to spend the money to have it properly serviced by Dodge dealership.

Just want to make sure I have that correct.

And you're telling me there's not one, none Mopar part on your car, say a bracket and pulley?

VOA Member
    since 2014
    South Central Texas
    Only a Dodge dealership can properly service a Viper. Didn't know that.

I think you'll find a lot of owners avoid subjecting their Vipers to a dealership for a variety of good reasons. There are also quit a few of us more than capable of turning wrenches on their cars better a lot of so-called Viper techs.
    Last edited by SA Heat; 5 Days Ago at 04:50 PM.
    2009 Viper Red ACR w/stripe delete & black/red interior (1 of 1), 100% stock
    1997 b/w GTS....sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, not stock

Quote Originally Posted by SA Heat View Post
    Only a Dodge dealership can properly service a Viper. Didn't know that.

I think you'll find a lot of owners avoid subjecting their Vipers to a dealership for a variety of good reasons. There are also quit a few of us more than capable of turning wrenches on their cars better a lot of so-called Viper techs.
    I didn't know I had to pay OEM prices for everything I replace on my car just because it's a Viper but according to Daveg that's what we all should be doing.

So I agree with you, just as there are mechanics, including ourselves, that can work on our cars better and/or, for less money than a dealer Viper tech. There are also, aftermarket parts that can do the exact same job as Mopar parts, for a lot less money.

Let's ask ourselves did yours, or in Daveg's case, hypocritical, comments add anything to this thread? I think it's safe to say no, so why even reply to the original question?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    So you own a Dodge Viper but don't want to spend the money to have it properly serviced by Dodge dealership.

Just want to make sure I have that correct.

And you're telling me there's not one, none Mopar part on your car, say a bracket and pulley?
    You couldn't be more wrong. I am a Mechanic by trade. Nice try though. I do have the aftermarket pulley that's probably twice the cost of the Dodge part, again nice try. I am not afraid of spending money.

You couldn't be more wrong. I am a Mechanic by trade. Nice try though. I do have the aftermarket pulley that's probably twice the cost of the Dodge part, again nice try. I am not afraid of spending money.
    Spending less money on aftermarket parts, is not ok, but if I spend double the amount on an aftermarket part, that's good to go? Is that correct Daveg?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Spending less money on aftermarket parts, is not ok, but if I spend double the amount on an aftermarket part, that's good to go? Is that correct Daveg?
    I am spending twice the money because the original is half the part because its prone to brake. I will spend twice the money on something rather than hack something.
    Good luck with your quest.

I am spending twice the money because the original is half the part because its prone to brake. I will spend twice the money on something rather than hack something.
    Good luck with your quest.
    Thanks amigo.

Have to admit, just started looking into this. Hard to bite $100/wiper blades bullet. But considering there isn't much Viper tax on everything else, guess I'll eat the cost. Mine the rubber is coming off (assume from heat) and leaving marks on the windshield. I hardly ever drive in the rain, but for the rare occasion I do I need them to work. Viper's are too much of a handful in the rain to have to worry about seeing the road!
    2005 Yellow SRT-10 Vert | Borla Cat-Back | SCT Tuner | 08+ Hood | Forgestar F14 w/ Michelin PSS | Eibach Springs | MGW Short Shifter
    SOLD: 2003 Black SRT-10 Vert

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Have to admit, just started looking into this. Hard to bite $100/wiper blades bullet. But considering there isn't much Viper tax on everything else, guess I'll eat the cost. Mine the rubber is coming off (assume from heat) and leaving marks on the windshield. I hardly ever drive in the rain, but for the rare occasion I do I need them to work. Viper's are too much of a handful in the rain to have to worry about seeing the road!
    Never used it but how about using Rain-X and just never use the Wipers? I have to admit, I was going to remove my arms and blades all together because my car never see's rain.. Heck, it barley see's Sun.. LOL.. I just like to have my car look as original as possible, thats why I never removed them.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    South Central Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    Do some research on the online Dodge part houses. You should be able to find them under $100. I bought both blades for under $70 shipped, but it was about two a years ago.
    Last edited by SA Heat; 4 Days Ago at 07:36 PM.
    2009 Viper Red ACR w/stripe delete & black/red interior (1 of 1), 100% stock
    1997 b/w GTS....sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, not stock

Never used it but how about using Rain-X and just never use the Wipers? I have to admit, I was going to remove my arms and blades all together because my car never see's rain.. Heck, it barley see's Sun.. LOL.. I just like to have my car look as original as possible, thats why I never removed them.
    Rain-X, don't leave home without it.
    As long as it is not yellow.

I just wish someone would come out with a windshield wiper relocation switch. Pisses me off every time my fat hands accidentally turn them on.
    2009 Vert/Coupe Rear End. Intake/Head/Exhaust. 705 crank/614 Wheels. Custom Red Drivers Stripe. ACR Splitter. KW Shocks. Plastidipped 6 spokes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast