Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Replacement battery for 2014 Viper GTS

Battery on my Viper appears to have given up the ghost. I have it on a battery tender but maybe the number is just up for this factory battery. In previous Vipers
    I have used Optima batteries. The Optima website indicates that they no longer carry batteries for vipers. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good gel battery for the Viper? And if there is no gel battery, then what do you recommend? I checked on the Odyssey Battery website and they indicated that the battery harness might require modification to fit an Odyssey Battery. I would like to use something that is plug-and-play. Thank you for your thoughts.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    I've had too many problems with Optima batteries. Won't ever buy one, not even for a lawnmower.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Battery on my Viper appears to have given up the ghost. I have it on a battery tender but maybe the number is just up for this factory battery. In previous Vipers
    I have used Optima batteries. The Optima website indicates that they no longer carry batteries for vipers. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good gel battery for the Viper? And if there is no gel battery, then what do you recommend? I checked on the Odyssey Battery website and they indicated that the battery harness might require modification to fit an Odyssey Battery. I would like to use something that is plug-and-play. Thank you for your thoughts.
    If weight is a concern at all Doug Shelby's Lithium Ion Battery is an awesome light weight alternative.

Thank you for the replies. Again optima does not currently make a battery for the Viper. And I'm not looking for any special lightweight battery, just a high quality durable gel battery. Thanks!

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    I am switching our Vipers over to Interstate AGM batteries. Their MT7-34R ("R" for reversed terminals) SHOULD work nicely for you...as always, check clearance and positive terminal insulator.
    Since Sears discontinued their DieHard Platinum Group 34 (supplied by Odyssey), I am switching Gen III and IV's to Interstate MT7-34 (standard terminals).

The AGM described above carries a 4year full replacement warranty.

Interestingly, Interstate's AGM Group 78 that I put in to our 97 GTS is still 80% charged after one month of no driving and no battery tender. In that same car, a new AutoZone Duralast Gold flooded lead acid battery drops to 40%...noting that the similar Sears DieHard Gold is even worse.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

why gel? k.i.s.s. - just get the factory replacment. on he corvettes lots of folks use the gel because if the battery leaks it takes out the ecm... dont have that problem with the vipers so std. replacment would be fine.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    The Mopar "factory replacement" sold at dealerships for a Gen IV ACR is a Group 34. It was labeled "72 Month" battery...but when the widow of the owner asked about warranty replacement at 2 years and 11 months...she was told that it is only replaced for free up to 18 months.

The AGM's in our III and IV's are 10, 8, and 8 years old and still going strong. I really don't enjoy changes batteries on Gen and II cars that can I be kept on tenders.

Since AGM don't leak, generally have a better warranty, and LAST LONGER...I am/have gone that route. To each their own.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

bought one at walmart 3 year replacement 2 year pro rated warranty. Dont throw away the vent tube also, youll need it for the replacement battery
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    I am switching our Vipers over to Interstate AGM batteries. Their MT7-34R ("R" for reversed terminals) SHOULD work nicely for you...as always, check clearance and positive terminal insulator.
    Since Sears discontinued their DieHard Platinum Group 34 (supplied by Odyssey), I am switching Gen III and IV's to Interstate MT7-34 (standard terminals).

The AGM described above carries a 4year full replacement warranty.

Interestingly, Interstate's AGM Group 78 that I put in to our 97 GTS is still 80% charged after one month of no driving and no battery tender. In that same car, a new AutoZone Duralast Gold flooded lead acid battery drops to 40%...noting that the similar Sears DieHard Gold is even worse.
    Thanks for that input. It made me curious to know more, since both Interstate and Optima are brands owned by Johnson Controls; but, the appearance of their AGM batteries appear quite different ( parallel plates versus spiralcell ).

After some searching, I learned that the Interstate MT7 AGM battery is made in Warrensburg Missouri at the Enersys plant on the same line as the Odyssey AGM battery. That is good, since Odyssey batteries have a good reputation.

If you are a fan of the "How It's Made" type programs, linked below are two videos showing how the Interstate MT7 AGM is made and how the Odyssey AGM is made.
    They show the exact same machines producing the batteries.

Interstate MT7 AGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Ah-PKJcfM

Odyssey AGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkstixBuwjc
    Jim

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Only disadvantage is weight...they weigh a TON !!

So it sounds like we are not quite sure whether the Interstate AGM battery will fit plug and play on the Gen. 5 Viper? This is what the Odyssey website said as well. I would rather not have a dealer factory replacement battery because I doubt the quality will be as high as the after market in this case. I like gel because on a previous Viper the battery did in fact leak and the acid required a repaint of a small portion of the rear bumper. I understand that the Gen. 5 battery is inside the car but I would prefer to have gel if they make it. Since it appears now that optima is not making Viper batteries I may be out of luck on gel.

All you need are the measurements of the original battery, and the terminal locations (taking note of which side the + and - terminals are on).

If it is like the Gen 3/4, you should be able to use a Group 34/78 battery. A Group 34 has the terminals on the top, a Group 78 will have them on the sides. Group 34/78 will have both. As long as it fits in the battery tray, and the terminals are on the correct side of the battery, you should be good to go.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Gen V has positive terminal toward front of car...thus it requires Group 34 R.

The original battery in gen V cars is an AGM battery, I have not seen any liquid acid batteries in any gen V cars.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Stealth, you might want to google "what is the difference between AGM and gel automotive batteries".

Quote Originally Posted by Scot@Prefix View Post
    The original battery in gen V cars is an AGM battery, I have not seen any liquid acid batteries in any gen V cars.
    there ya have it.. a quick run up to the dealer and done!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Batteries+Bulbs shows a few 34R batteries. Has anyone ever used a Duracell battery for the car (and no I don't mean a bunch of AA batteries!)?
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Interstate has my vote
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

Picked up an AGM Battery for $109 (!!) yesterday. Specs are stated as superior to OEM battery. Will install shortly and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    there ya have it.. a quick run up to the dealer and done!
    I am mistaken a liquid acid battery is stock on the Gen V, there was an option for a AGM battery.

The liquid battery will be black in color and have a vent hose coming off the side of the battery, towards the front of the car.
    The AGM is a milk white color and will not have a vent hose.

Sorry for any confusion!

I replaced the OEM battery with an AGM from Interstate Battery. It had a place for a vent hose if you push it in and I did since the car had a vent hose. Car started right up. 6 year warranty. Pretty good for $109.

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Houston
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    I replaced the OEM battery with an AGM from Interstate Battery. It had a place for a vent hose if you push it in and I did since the car had a vent hose. Car started right up. 6 year warranty. Pretty good for $109.
    Was it the MT7-34R model?
    '14 Black Viper SRT TA #14
    [Previous] '08 Black Viper SRT-10 Coupe

The end-all end-all no problems going forward is going to be a Braille battery.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Braille is a fine weight saving choice for a race car...but I doubt that most "Cars&Coffee" owners will want to lay out that much money.

This thread should probably be "stickied" for us Gen 5 owners. $109 seems like a pretty good deal.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast