Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Transmission Issue

I was giving the car a run the other night up to around 135 mph and upon deceleration I could not get the transmission out of fifth gear. I ended up lugging it in fifth gear around the corner and off the road. I was able to pull it out of gear as I was gliding down the road while applying no gas but then could not get it into any gear. The shifting was just stiff and almost as if it was locked out of all gears.

Stopped the car, turned off the motor and after playing around by moving the shifter around I was able to get the car into third gear restarted and drove home. Now it is almost impossible to get the car into first without first engaging it into third and then it will shift into first and also fifth has been doing weird jerking movements forward and back when engaged. (SEE VIDEO)

The shift lever goes back and forth when applying the throttle lightly. It is moving around two inches but doesn't pop out or anything and only does this while in fifth? All shifting is not a smooth as it used to be anymore in all gears and like I previously mentioned almost impossible to get into first gear without first engaging the lever into third first.

Before the high speed run, everything appeared to be working fine for the 2000 previous miles that I put on my car. Changed all fluids about 1800 miles ago.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should be looking for to possibly fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Enthusiast
    With your shifter jerking around I would assume your mounts are going bad, however let one of the more experienced gents advise.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Alabama/Tennessee
    Check all mounts, engine and trans, but only thing to do about a broke trans is to pull it out, open it up. If you need a spare T56, PM me/
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    does it shift fine without car running?
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    does it shift fine without car running?
    It appears to shift into all gears except sixth with engine off. Cannot shift into sixth?

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Good questions above..in addition, I would if you have checked mounting bolts of the shifter itself ?? Also, what is the fluid level in the clutch fluid reservoir ??
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Good questions above..in addition, I would if you have checked mounting bolts of the shifter itself ?? Also, what is the fluid level in the clutch fluid reservoir ??
    I checked the fluid in the clutch reservoir yesterday. It was full but very black in colour. Sucked out what I could with a syringe and refilled with clean fluid. Was looking for the bleed valve underneath the car, but I am not sure were it exactly is?

I guess I will have to pull off the center console and see if there is anything that I can see with the shifter linkage above the tranny.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Just look under shifter boot first...have seen this on an 01 where 3 bolts were loose. Send me your email me if you need to bleed clutch (you do!!)...will send you a helpful diagram of bleeder parts and a link to an excellent pictorial thread by another owner.

Here is the link:

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...utch-reservoir
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 05-13-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Enthusiast
    I removed the console and inspected the four bolts that hold the shifter assembly on the transmission and all four bolts are tight. Previous owners had been in there before as the taped over holes were drilled in the ashtray hold and console metal body and also the lower shifter boot cover housing rivets have be drilled out and replaced with self tapping screws. I removed the shifter assembly while I had everything off just to double check and all appears fine with the assembly itself.

So given that, and the fact that the mounts for the transmission seem good as they are no visible movement of the transmission housing. I guess I have to drop the transmission and crack it open to see if I can see what is wrong?

20180513_163340.jpg

Also while removing the radio/temperature control bezel, I found this unplugged harness behind there. What is this for?

20180513_165414.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Flush your clutch fluid out first.. Its possible you have some air in the system as well and the clutch is not disengaging all the way..
    Last edited by daveg; 05-13-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
    Also while removing the radio/temperature control bezel, I found this unplugged harness behind there. What is this for?
    You probably have an RT/10. That's the wiring used for the rear defrost/defogger on a GTS. Not used in RT/10s.
    2001 VRY RT/10

Enthusiast
    Flush your clutch fluid out first.. Its possible you have some air in the system as well and the clutch is not disengaging all the way..
    Ok, I will order the Mityvac 8000 unit to bleed out the clutch fluid first. It is worth a try before doing anything major.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsGood View Post
    You probably have an RT/10. That's the wiring used for the rear defrost/defogger on a GTS. Not used in RT/10s.
    Yes, I have a 1999 RT/10.

Thank you everybody for the help and tips! Very much appreciated.

That shifter movement is pretty normal for a Viper imo, you may just be noticing it more now that you are looking for a cause to the issues.

My guess on the main issue is your clutch is toast. If the fluid change doesn't work, that would be my next go to. I had a similar issue on my Supra and it was the clutch.
    2005 Yellow SRT-10 Vert | Borla Cat-Back | SCT Tuner | 08+ Hood | Forgestar F14 w/ Michelin PSS | Eibach Springs | MGW Short Shifter
    SOLD: 2003 Black SRT-10 Vert

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatre View Post
    That shifter movement is pretty normal for a Viper imo, you may just be noticing it more now that you are looking for a cause to the issues.

My guess on the main issue is your clutch is toast. If the fluid change doesn't work, that would be my next go to. I had a similar issue on my Supra and it was the clutch.
    How much clutch pedal travel should I have before I feel it engage? It seems that I have to now push all the way to the floor lately.

Would one not feel the clutch actually slipping?

I noticed that when I put the car in fifth the shift lever actually kicks back about two inches then does the back and forth movement.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Answering a few points above that I did not see answered before....

Bleed screw for the clutch is at the transmission, on the drive side and it protrudes from the slave cylinder. Its a bit of a pain to do and definitely a two person job. If you are going to try and flush the fluid 100%, that's the way. Other option is to drain what you can with the fluid extractor and fill. Drive the car a bit to cycle the fluid through a bit. Then extract, refill, repeat. Do it as many times as you'd like to get it done. Not the best way, but effective especially if it's not easy for you to get the help for a bleed.

Next, based on your comments about having to go farther down to engage the clutch etc, and it being "stuck in gear" I'd also be thinking about checking the clutch and slave cylinder. What you are describing does sound like a bad slave and/or clutch.

On the movement of the trans under power. With the Gen 2, I see movement on the stick under hard acceleration but it's not like what you show. I'd have a real good look at the mounts. The engine mounts could be going on you.

You mention the dust boot had the rivets removed and replaced with screws. That's odd unless the shifter was swapped. Is the shifter stock or an aftermarket short shifter?

In the end, however, I'd be looking at the slave and clutch.....
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    How many miles on this car, did I miss it in this thread?

i agree it sounds like a clutch, master or slave cyl.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisv View Post
    Answering a few points above that I did not see answered before....

Next, based on your comments about having to go farther down to engage the clutch etc, and it being "stuck in gear" I'd also be thinking about checking the clutch and slave cylinder. What you are describing does sound like a bad slave and/or clutch.

On the movement of the trans under power. With the Gen 2, I see movement on the stick under hard acceleration but it's not like what you show. I'd have a real good look at the mounts. The engine mounts could be going on you.

You mention the dust boot had the rivets removed and replaced with screws. That's odd unless the shifter was swapped. Is the shifter stock or an aftermarket short shifter?

In the end, however, I'd be looking at the slave and clutch.....
    Alright, I am used to worn clutches just slipping as my only experience with clutches are on motorcycles. They just start to slip, but then again they are wet clutches. Cars are obviously different.

I will also check the engine mounts and probably just replace them and the transmission mounts as I doubt that they have every been done to this car.
    Any recommendations on which to purchase/or stay away from?

My car still has the stock shifter, but a previous owner/shop has drilled out the rivets and also drilled holes for the socket to easily remove the two hidden shifter assembly screws for some reason. The shifter has been removed before as I can see two different colour silicones that have been applied to the shifter assembly cover.
    The two passenger side were neatly covered with a circular black sticker to cover up the access holes.

How many miles on this car, did I miss it in this thread?
    I guess I should have provided that information. I purchased it with 54000 miles and I just rolled over 56000 miles. Three previous owners.

It's entirely possible that one of the previous owners put a short throw shifter on the car and either didn't like it and put the stock one back on or put the stock one back on when selling the car. Another possibility is they changed the trans fluid by draining it out the bottom and filling it through the shifter. I know most pump fluid back into the trans but on the 03/04 cobra's (basically the same trans) filling through the top is the preferred method. Assume that's not the case on the Viper due to the rivets on the lower boot.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Southern California
    Tech Team
    If the car stuck in 5th or 6th, you most likely have a transmission issue. These gears can start seizing onto the shaft and cause problems like you describe.
    specialtyperformanceteam.com
    310-597-6295

Clutch is not disengaging fully.
    Clutch slippage under power is not the problem.
    As others have said....check the clutch hydrolics
    Dont drive anymore util you get it figured out. shifting if clutch is not fully disengaged will cause other problems (worn-out syncros, etc.) that will require rebuild.
    Last edited by pullin-gs; 05-15-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 98RedGTS View Post
    It's entirely possible that one of the previous owners put a short throw shifter on the car and either didn't like it and put the stock one back on or put the stock one back on when selling the car. Another possibility is they changed the trans fluid by draining it out the bottom and filling it through the shifter. I know most pump fluid back into the trans but on the 03/04 cobra's (basically the same trans) filling through the top is the preferred method. Assume that's not the case on the Viper due to the rivets on the lower boot.
    Yes either of those reason are likely why it was opened.

I ordered a IPSCO shifter on Monday and will install that when it gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by pullin-gs View Post
    Clutch is not disengaging fully.
    Clutch slippage under power is not the problem.
    As others have said....check the clutch hydrolics
    Don't drive anymore util you get it figured out. shifting if clutch is not fully disengaged will cause other problems (worn-out syncros, etc.) that will require rebuild.
    I received my Mityvac 8000 vacuum pump today and will bleed it out. I don't think leakage is a problem as I am not losing fluid, it is just dirty as crap! Probably original 18 year old fluid in there? I am going to bleed it first to see if the issue can be resolved with simply bleeding it, but I somehow think that there is more going on. I will also check motor mounts when I can get a competent friend to watch the engine mounts while I load up the engine.

Can you have a bad slave cylinder that is not leaking as the outer transmission casing is clean and dry?

I have not and will not be driving the car until I figure out what the problem(s) is.
    Last edited by Happycamper; 05-16-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Enthusiast
    Bled the slave cylinder this afternoon. Feels better but did not fix the issue.

I had the car on off the ground on stands and with parking brake off the rear wheels were turning even with the clutch fully depressed. Is this normal?

I am not sure how it should sound exactly but it did not sound smooth when engaging and disengaging the clutch. I think I should change both the clutch kit and slave cylinder since I will have to pull transmission to do both anyway.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions and tips.
    Last edited by Happycamper; 05-17-2018 at 07:53 PM.

If the wheels are still moving with the clutch fully depressed then the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

the shift keys for the engagement ring could be bad, when that happens the spring can pop out and it will get stuck one way or the other when the keys dont work properly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast