Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gimme the bad news

I just drove my '04 Viper with 25xxx miles from Dallas back to Saint Louis last night without incident. Today, while getting on it a little bit (nothing crazy), I lost 2nd gear. Just grinding and clattering sounds. 2nd gear engaged just revs the engine. The other gears are fine. It was only a couple more miles from home thank goodness. Is my tranny shot?

67 views and no input? Thanks guys. I'll get it taken care of...

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Alabama/Tennessee
    I have a good trans out of an 05 I will sell.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    St. Louis
    Yes
    Trans is out. Hopefully the bits steel from broken gear didn’t damage other interior tranny parts.
    Unfortunately I have been in this situation several times and I can send you to the right people in StL
    that I have used. They can pull the trans or do it yourself.
    Would be a good time to check the cluch as well.

PM me if you need contacts or info.
    Life should not be journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up and worn out yelling, "WOW, what a ride!" ........tooblueracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by migkompressor View Post
    67 views and no input? Thanks guys. I'll get it taken care of...
    Sounds like you knew the bad news. Not sure why you got pissy when no one replied in 6 hours.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    Sounds like you knew the bad news. Not sure why you got pissy when no one replied in 6 hours.
    Agreed. Additionally I believe that it counts "views" from members and non-members, so you need to remember that there are plenty of web browsers that have not created an account or screen name, in-turn they cannot respond to you.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida
    Wow, OP reminds me of a psycho ex gf.

Sorry for the attitude. I drank a lil bit. I was a bit upset, lol. Thank you for the replies.

I remember my first beer.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Central North Florida
    2004 Mamba Convertible
    - Paxton Setup & Tune, Exhaust , 3.55 rear, 2010 polished wheels
    Chrome Hoops, ACR short throw shifter

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
    Wow, OP reminds me of a psycho ex gf.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

At least he apologized.
    2000 RT/10
    65 GTO Outlaw Street Car
    1700 hp on a fat tune.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Hahahahaha..
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman565 View Post
    At least he apologized.
    So did Hitler.

I just drove my '04 Viper with 25xxx miles from Dallas back to Saint Louis last night without incident. Today, while getting on it a little bit (nothing crazy), I lost 2nd gear. Just grinding and clattering sounds. 2nd gear engaged just revs the engine. The other gears are fine. It was only a couple more miles from home thank goodness. Is my tranny shot?

yup - time for a rebuild...

So did Hitler.
    Dude...lay off. Jeez.
    I just paid $40k for my first Viper. 11 hour drive back. Next day, 2nd gear goes. Cut me some slack.

And you really just brought up Hitler? Arguably the worst human in our history? Issues bro...

(Edit) And Hitler never apologized for anything, lol. Js...
    Last edited by migkompressor; 05-14-2018 at 11:36 PM.

But with all that being said: $1900 for a rebuild at a very reputable shop a few miles from home. I guess there's some silver lining there. And at least it didn't go out in the middle of OK or something like that....

Dude...lay off. Jeez.
    I just paid $40k for my first Viper. 11 hour drive back. Next day, 2nd gear goes. Cut me some slack.

And you really just brought up Hitler? Arguably the worst human in our history? Issues bro...

(Edit) And Hitler never apologized for anything, lol. Js...
    I was just giving you a hard time.

Good thing about things breaking in these cars, it gives you a great excuse to upgrade.

I was just giving you a hard time.

Good thing about things breaking in these cars, it gives you a great excuse to upgrade.
    Very true. It was just a bit disheartening... But, what are ya gonna do? Just roll with the punches. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    Just curious is this very reputable shop going to rebuild your trans for $1,900 or swap yours for a rebuild trans they have in stock?

I'm assuming the transmission is still in the car as it's only been a day or so since your mishap.
    They are rebuilding mine. My good friend runs a repair shop for a major dealer here and they use this company for almost all their transmission work. They are giving me a "friend" deal. My friend more than highly recommended him.

It happened Sunday, but my buddy already pulled the tranny.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Houston

Put in a TR-6060 while you're at it.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Washington

Have they opened up the tranny yet? I wiped out 2nd gear in mine and the parts (if you can find them) needed to fix are well over $1k. The gen3 T56 uses a one piece countershaft instead of the 2-piece shaft in earlier versions. Also in mid-year 2005 the gears and countershaft changed to straighter cut gears, so there are 2 different part numbers for gears and shafts in a gen 3 T56.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Sorry to hear. I’ve not had any tranny issues to lend advice. Good luck with repair.
    2017 1of1, TA2 group, red/white stripes. Previous: 2013 GTS, white w/ gunmetal stripes, 2013 SRT Track Pack, '08 coupe, '01 ACR, '02 FE GTS (#357 & #101)

Quote Originally Posted by SEASnake View Post
    Have they opened up the tranny yet? I wiped out 2nd gear in mine and the parts (if you can find them) needed to fix are well over $1k. The gen3 T56 uses a one piece countershaft instead of the 2-piece shaft in earlier versions. Also in mid-year 2005 the gears and countershaft changed to straighter cut gears, so there are 2 different part numbers for gears and shafts in a gen 3 T56.
    They did. The whole thing is destroyed. Everything needs to be replaced. He send me pics and it was painful to look at, lol. Least I'll have a brand new tranny. $3k now, but what do you do...?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    It's good to have friends in the right places.

I ws thinking of maybe getting a couple one of these days.
    Yes it is...

Sorry for the attitude. I drank a lil bit. I was a bit upset, lol. Thank you for the replies.
    I do the same thing all of the time on social media when I get ignored-- it must be a thing Viper owners have? Don't worry about it bro and I am sure you'll be back to a1 condition shortly.
    2008 SSG Vert (Solid): AFR Rollbar, 5th/6th Swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast