Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1

    Installed Alpine Halo9 on my 2006 Coupe Alpine ILX F309

    Hi all - New 3rd gen owner here.

    1. If anyone knows who owned this car before me, I would love to know more about the build from DC Performance. 2006 Viper with the pro-charger, exhaust, moton club sport suspension, came from Chicago
    2. I wanted to replace the basic Alpine HU my car came with and my local audio guys recommended this newish Alpine Halo9. It is a 9" screen that supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

    Pros:
    -9" Capacitive touch - very responsive and similar to any iPad or Android tablet
    -I was able to add a reverse camera. Supports many more with the addition of a module
    -I didn't want to cut the dash to make room for a double-din. This unit fits in the 1-din space and can be adjusted in many ways. The A/C controls are still easily accessible
    -Phone and hands-free work very well, its really nice to have CarPlay read me texts and also reply back. I had this option before with my previous unit, but seems to work a little better here

    Cons:
    -It is close to the shifter, so you can hit it if you are not careful. Not a big deal if you are mindful of it being there.
    -Resolution is not the greatest, but I'm not planing on watching any video


    Freshly washed
    Viper1.jpg

    Final install (sorry for the reflection, sun was super bright)
    ViperAlpineHU.JPG

    Side shot to show the space between the shifter and screen
    ViperAlpineHU2.jpg

    Reverse camera being dialed in
    ViperAlpineReverse.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snake3yez; 05-16-2018 at 01:27 PM.

  2. #2
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Arizona

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    116
    Nice looking unit. Can the screen be removed for security purposes?
    2004 Silver Gen 3 Vert
    2013 White SRT Viper GTS (Sold)
    1996 Viper GTS (Sold)

  3. #3
    Sadly, it cannot. It is screwed in place, so if anyone removes it, the unit would be broken. It would've been cool if it was detachable with a quick release. The only thing you can do is adjust the height and angle (manually).

  4. #4
    Thanks for the pics.
    I believe this unit has been talked about on the forum in the past... but I thought the screen was smaller and integrated into the dash a bit more.
    Dig the instant upgrade to contemporary tech, but don't like that "over-sized" screen. Just for my personal taste/opinion.

    Otherwise groovy.
    '08 Very Viper Orange SRT-10 Coupe | The Orange Lure | Porsche Mid-Engine Cayman S Gonna Be

  5. #5
    I originally wanted a double din, but all the people that used to make a kit are no longer doing so. Most of the car shops around me also didn’t want to full with custom work. I agree that the cleanest option is the double din flush with the dash. However, this screen is a great alternative and because it fits in the single din opening, it takes little effort to install.

    The way I look at it, this just another option for these cars and their owners .

    1. Keep the OEM with the upgrade
    2. Replace OEM with single din option
    3. Custom fit a double din option
    4. Install this Alpine unit

    Quote Originally Posted by viperBase1 View Post
    Thanks for the pics.
    I believe this unit has been talked about on the forum in the past... but I thought the screen was smaller and integrated into the dash a bit more.
    Dig the instant upgrade to contemporary tech, but don't like that "over-sized" screen. Just for my personal taste/opinion.

    Otherwise groovy.

  6. #6
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Arizona

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    116
    Snake3yez-

    Still trying to decide which head unit to do. How have you been liking the Halo 9?

    -Would you do the same thing now, since living with it for a while?
    -Also, I was thinking about doing the Halo9, with a single-DIN insert like this (pictured) but actually installed upside down. My hope is to drop the unit as far as possible to minimize the blocking of the A/C vents (since I live in Phoenix). Do you think it would work or would that actually make it too low and interfere with the climate controlsRadio adapter surround.jpg?
    2004 Silver Gen 3 Vert
    2013 White SRT Viper GTS (Sold)
    1996 Viper GTS (Sold)

  7. #7
    I still love the unit and keeping the cab cool hasn’t been an issue. Mine is right above the A/C controls and covering about 1/3 of the A/C vents. It’s a good compromise and works for me. The unit has worked very well, my only dislike is the lack of a volume knob lol, or tactile up/down volume buttons. It’s a weird tactile touch button and it kinda sucks at adjusting the volume. Luckily there’s a mute button so I just use it. But this is the case with many units. I had a pioneer before in another car and it was the same issue.

    Also, you will need to learn to shift assuming you have a stock height shifter, otherwise you might gently touch the screen with your knuckles. A short shifter would definitely fix that. I just shift a little more careful now and it hasn’t been an issue at all.

  8. #8
    Im thinking of going the same route since u cant find anyone to install a double din.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast mackzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    450
    I would stick with a standard head unit and Bluetooth from my cell phone.

    Is the real motivation for the backup cam functionality? (OP I'm not pooping on your addition, nice work.)

  10. #10
    The backup camera was a nice addition for me personally, but also CarPlay. It’s nice to be able to talk hands-free, have Waze for routing, etc. This definitely isn’t for everyone, but for me, it was a great decision. I also didn’t want to cut up the dash bezel with a custom double-din unit. Plus most car stereo shops said they wouldn’t do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mackzilla View Post
    I would stick with a standard head unit and Bluetooth from my cell phone.

    Is the real motivation for the backup cam functionality? (OP I'm not pooping on your addition, nice work.)

  11. #11
    Enthusiast mackzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake3yez View Post
    The backup camera was a nice addition for me personally, but also CarPlay. It’s nice to be able to talk hands-free, have Waze for routing, etc. This definitely isn’t for everyone, but for me, it was a great decision. I also didn’t want to cut up the dash bezel with a custom double-din unit. Plus most car stereo shops said they wouldn’t do it.
    Nice features for sure. Thanks!

  12. #12
    Looks good. I'm following this thread, as over on RamForums, someone just installed this same unit in his truck (same as my truck) replacing the stock 8.4. Install looks really good in the Ram, and I'm thinking of doing it at some point.

    I would have a dedicated automotive electronics shop do it though. I suppose at some point, I could replace the stock 8.4 in my Viper as well.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

  13. #13
    VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    sonicbloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northern England
    Posts
    221
    When I got mine, it had Radio/CD/DVD/SatNav, and blue tooth hands free, the unit fitted perfectly into the standard hole in the console. Sadly the CD started skipping tracks so I went back to the oem 6CD/radio. I still have the faulty unit in the box which says it fits a Grand Voyager, and also has inputs for reverse camera

    PS what number of the 200 is your First Edition coupe? I have #146.

  14. #14
    Would a shorter shifter help with the knuckle-clearance issue?

  15. #15
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    33
    I got the Halo9 installed in my G4ACR, along with a rear-view camera.

    @AZMotorGod, I'm in Gilbert if you wanted to stop by and check mine out before committing.

    LOVE the unit, looks awesome, Apple CarPlay is great, everything works as it should. Touch screen is very responsive (not like some head units where you have to really mash the screen to select something) and clarity is great.



    I have the MGW Gripper Knob, and "occasionally" my knuckle just barely touches the bottom of the unit, but it's not an issue. It can be raised if needed, but you'll definitely want a short shifter with this unit. I can't imagine having it with the factory shifter and actually trying to shift quick and not slam the screen.
    2009 ACR Solid White (1 of 7)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicbloo View Post
    When I got mine, it had Radio/CD/DVD/SatNav, and blue tooth hands free, the unit fitted perfectly into the standard hole in the console. Sadly the CD started skipping tracks so I went back to the oem 6CD/radio. I still have the faulty unit in the box which says it fits a Grand Voyager, and also has inputs for reverse camera

    PS what number of the 200 is your First Edition coupe? I have #146.
    Mine is 14/200. Another FE buddy! Lol. I follow a few on Instagram as well.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiean View Post
    Would a shorter shifter help with the knuckle-clearance issue?
    As SRToad mentioned, it definitely helps. I personally don’t have one and have no real issues besides the occasional tap but nothing happens. I’ve learned to be careful even when getting on it. It won’t hurt to get the SS installed for sure.

  18. #18
    VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    sonicbloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northern England
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake3yez View Post
    Mine is 14/200. Another FE buddy! Lol. I follow a few on Instagram as well.
    Thanks for that my FE buddy I keep a spreadsheet and update it when I spot one for sale, with a few basic details. I included yours which I saw for sale in August 2017 and April 2018

  19. #19
    Enthusiast Fatman2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    AZ, CA, VA
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake3yez View Post
    Hi all - New 3rd gen owner here.

    1. If anyone knows who owned this car before me, I would love to know more about the build from DC Performance. 2006 Viper with the pro-charger, exhaust, moton club sport suspension, came from Chicago
    2. I wanted to replace the basic Alpine HU my car came with and my local audio guys recommended this newish Alpine Halo9. It is a 9" screen that supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

    Pros:
    -9" Capacitive touch - very responsive and similar to any iPad or Android tablet
    -I was able to add a reverse camera. Supports many more with the addition of a module
    -I didn't want to cut the dash to make room for a double-din. This unit fits in the 1-din space and can be adjusted in many ways. The A/C controls are still easily accessible
    -Phone and hands-free work very well, its really nice to have CarPlay read me texts and also reply back. I had this option before with my previous unit, but seems to work a little better here

    Cons:
    -It is close to the shifter, so you can hit it if you are not careful. Not a big deal if you are mindful of it being there.
    -Resolution is not the greatest, but I'm not planing on watching any video


    Freshly washed
    Viper1.jpg

    Final install (sorry for the reflection, sun was super bright)
    ViperAlpineHU.JPG

    Side shot to show the space between the shifter and screen
    ViperAlpineHU2.jpg

    Reverse camera being dialed in
    ViperAlpineReverse.jpg
    Do you have any issues hitting the screen when putting the car in 1-3-5 gears?
    06 Srt10 Coupe, 09 Smart Car Brabus

    V10 Time®

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman2006 View Post
    Do you have any issues hitting the screen when putting the car in 1-3-5 gears?
    I do not at all. I just to keep my fingers around the shifter or they will touch the screen. I have a stock shifter too. Others with short shifters have almost no issue at all.

  21. #21
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Arizona

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    116
    srtoad4-

    I would absolutely love to come and check it out sometime. By the way I am also digging the Alcantara on the steering wheel. Is that a stock ACR thing or did you ad it?
    2004 Silver Gen 3 Vert
    2013 White SRT Viper GTS (Sold)
    1996 Viper GTS (Sold)

  22. #22
    Just did this install to mine today. If ure thinking about doing it, stop thinking about it. This thing is awesome!!! Screen is huge but looks good. Ac vents still work.. sound system sounds a million times better!
    I would not think twice about buying this radio
    N no my hand doesnt hit. Closest i can get is still about an inch away. Maybe 1/2 inch if im really trying to hit the screen on 5th
    I do have the short shifter tho

  23. #23
    Congrats! This is what I’ve been trying to say. It isn’t perfect, but the outcome is > than not doing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wd40 View Post
    Just did this install to mine today. If ure thinking about doing it, stop thinking about it. This thing is awesome!!! Screen is huge but looks good. Ac vents still work.. sound system sounds a million times better!
    I would not think twice about buying this radio
    N no my hand doesnt hit. Closest i can get is still about an inch away. Maybe 1/2 inch if im really trying to hit the screen on 5th
    I do have the short shifter tho

  24. #24
    To be honest. I think it looks better than a double din. Screen is huge to
    Thinking of putting one in my truck now.. lol

  25. #25
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Arizona

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    116
    Note for all interested in doing this. I just saw that Alpine is getting ready to release the ILX-F259. Available now for pre-order for $600. This is noticeably cheaper then the 309 ($900) but is missing some features, such as: no HDMI input, no HD radio, and no iData-Link Maestro.

    Press release here:

    https://www.alpine-usa.com/company/p...h-the-ilx-f259

    CES video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8c2NfPyIZc

    The maestro doesn't seem to matter for our cars anyway, I will probably never use the HDMI input, but I must say I am a little bummed about the lack of HD radio. Still it appears to be a $300 difference (retail), which is nothing to sneeze at.

    However, I know that a certain online popular merchandise seller currently has the 309 for $839. Apparently the new 259 also has an updated interface and new/ quicker processor. hard to say if/ when the 309 will get these two features (or at least the updated interface) as well.
    Last edited by AZMotorgod; 02-27-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    2004 Silver Gen 3 Vert
    2013 White SRT Viper GTS (Sold)
    1996 Viper GTS (Sold)


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •