VOA Member
    Northern California

Got a chance to try out the R888R

Tires were NOT pre heat cycled. They feel stickier than the Corsa, similarly happy between 32-34 psi (hot).

Day 1, 2nd session of the day. Track temps were comfortable and put down some good laps in this session.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R5...DUGyUnuQAGRMuC

Day 3 on the R888R. Not sure if it was the higher track temps or they're heat cycling out. Regardless managed to get a decent lap after a red flap and traffic.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yO...CkeIRmejrEXGd3

Have total 4 track days so far, hoping to get one more day before they heat cycle out. The track temps increased between day 1 and day 4 making it difficult for me to tell how much of that is factoring into the greasier feel.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    NY/CT
    Nice laps. Tracks looks like a lot of fun! No walls!

Is this a VBOX Motorsport camera/telemetry system? If not, can you share the details of what OP is running please? Seems awesome.

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Houston
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybermig View Post
    Is this a VBOX Motorsport camera/telemetry system? If not, can you share the details of what OP is running please? Seems awesome.
    Sub'd for this answer.

Overlay looks great and it's picking up data that a lot of other systems can't
    '13 GTS

Ed Massena
    VOA National Secretary
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    +1 on the video telemetry question - that's a ton of data :-)

are the tires predictable at the limit? communicate well?
    NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by MISSEDSHIFT09 View Post
    Nice laps. Tracks looks like a lot of fun! No walls!
    Thank you. Shame I could not string together the sectors in that session into a lap. Data indicated ideal lap for that session was 2:03.

Only 2 major areas with walls. It allows me to explore my limits less so the car.... Still have scars from Turn-8, it's manageable at 100-105mph entry, any faster you have to nail the apex perfectly otherwise you're out of room at the exit, don't ask how I know...

So much room for driver improvements. I was fortunate to meet a gentleman who coaches for one of the event coordinator. We've spend 2 days in March and worked on my braking and brake zones. We just meshed, he wasn't scared to push me beyond my comfort zone for fear of his life. I don't know how these folks to do.

Watched video from Todd's ACR 1:52 time, excluding his rock star level driving, saw areas that jump out.
    His speed through turn-7 is considerably higher. Don't have the nerves to handle that pace and will have to slowly work up to that pace.
    Turn-8 his exit speed is so much higher. I struggle with consistently hitting the apex at over 100mph and cant' increase my exit speed without running out of track.
    Back straight before turn-14, he carries so more speed and braking later. I've tried it, just don't have enough brakes to slow down that fast from 120+mph.
    Turn-14 and turn-15, when I nail that section it usually translates to ~145mph at the end of the front straight.
    Won't bore you with the rest.
    Last edited by sharmut; 06-14-2018 at 05:54 PM.

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by SlateEd View Post
    +1 on the video telemetry question - that's a ton of data :-)

are the tires predictable at the limit? communicate well?
    Thank you, so much more to learn and looking forward to more coaching in July.

Tires felt great, specially day 1 and 2. Day 3 and 4 was considerably warmer outside temp and can definitely feel the tires feeling more greasy. Communication throughout is well enough at my skill level. When you are near or reach the limit, it's not only felt, it's audible and loud enough to hear while driving. Turn-2 through turn-4 is typically where I pay close attention to my speed and tire to determine if I can push them further. I would definitely recommend, if you can live with the tire hum at 70-90mph on the street. As a track tire, it's hard to argue the value and performance they offer.
    I need to find a faster method to get the tire pressures up, seems to take me a lap sometimes 2 to get them from 28psi cold to 32psi hot. Going to try doing several quick accel and hard braking in the hotpit before track entry.
    Last edited by sharmut; 06-14-2018 at 05:08 PM.

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybermig View Post
    VBOX HD2 system has worked flawlessly for me since it's purchase ~18months. The gauges in the lower section are custom built, spent a weekend learning how to use GIMP to modify image files to build the gauges. Thankfully the HD2 configuration is exportable as a scene file, contains all the CANBUS channels and gauges. Import the scene file into VBOX Setup application, save the file to a SD card, load the SD into the HD2 and it installs the file.

Below is what the overlay looks like purely from the HD2 scene without the additional Racerender overlay. Looks rather plain in comparison. Incorporated the Racerender overlay for friends to easily view pertinent data. A few have significantly more track experienced and share their insight into driver improvements. I typically use Circuit Tools to review data in between sessions and don't need much in the video. Majority of the time spent on looking at graphs and the video serves to quickly explain unexpected changes in the graphs. Considered including the RaceRender gauges in the HD2 scene, decided against adding more overhead to the system during real time data collection and video overlay.
    Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 1.11.08 PM.jpg

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by txA&M08 View Post
    Sub'd for this answer.

Overlay looks great and it's picking up data that a lot of other systems can't
    The HD2 logs 32 CANBUS channel simultaneously. It's up to you to configure what you want to include in the video overlay. What can be read through the CANBUS is limited to the vehicle, for example, the gear number is calculated data, FCA does not offer the data on the CANBUS. I'm almost certain vehicle like the GM/Z06 that data is directly accessible through their CANBUS.
    One data point I wanted was the engine timing. According to Racelogic, who consulted with their contact at FCA, indicated the data is not present directly via the CANBUS protocol, but available in the ODB2 protocol. I would need another cable connected to the same ODB2 connector and feed that protocol to the HD2. They were considering doing something with their bluetooth ODB2 adapter, but I indicated no interest in using any wireless connection for this type of application.

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Houston
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmut View Post
    The HD2 logs 32 CANBUS channel simultaneously. It's up to you to configure what you want to include in the video overlay. What can be read through the CANBUS is limited to the vehicle, for example, the gear number is calculated data, FCA does not offer the data on the CANBUS. I'm almost certain vehicle like the GM/Z06 that data is directly accessible through their CANBUS.
    One data point I wanted was the engine timing. According to Racelogic, who consulted with their contact at FCA, indicated the data is not present directly via the CANBUS protocol, but available in the ODB2 protocol. I would need another cable connected to the same ODB2 connector and feed that protocol to the HD2. They were considering doing something with their bluetooth ODB2 adapter, but I indicated no interest in using any wireless connection for this type of application.
    Very interesting. It would be cool to see real-time ignition timing and how heat affects it through your session.
    '13 GTS