Help Door Handle Lights

Hi Guys

The inside door handle lights (driver and passenger) are staying on and draining the battery on my 96 GTS.

When I lock the Viper they turn off but the red alarm light on the dash doesn’t turn on anymore.

Anyone know what’s up?

Thanks

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    My usual guess is failing EEM. That said, real status of battery needs to be determined. Also, need to check to see that hood and hatch switches are OK. If it is the EEM, it may bite you without warning...dead car.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Brand new battery.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    What was the outcome of past thread of alarm going off spontaneously? Hood and hatch switch? Ever see a dealer for diagnosis with their scan tool?

While a "new battery" is comforting, one must still ask...what is battery voltage now?

Aside from the questions ask above which are important to ultimate success...you can try a quick test of your EEM by swapping it with one from another Gen II Viper...then report on door LED 's status.

Pardon my ignorance but what would be EEM??
    Thx

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Sorry...Electronic Entry Module.

Now, with a little more time, a slightly better explanation: The EEM is a single module used on Gen II Vipers for the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS). It combines the two modules found on Gen I Vipers...The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) module and the Security Alarm Module (SAM) into one physical component.

If the EEM dies (as many have), one has a dead Viper...no entry via doors, no start on engine. Sadly, I have seen a couple fail without warning. For this reason, I keep two of these modules in may parts bin...new in the box. This unit costs about $500.00 new retail and comes with 2 preprogrammed fobs.

The bad news is that the new modules are difficult to locate by an uninformed dealership parts person...as, inventory at FCA often shows "0"...all because there is a new part number.

The new EEM part number is: 05015148AC. Sometimes, you have to delete the first "0" in this number to find part online.
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 5 Days Ago at 08:55 AM.

Thank you very much for the explanation Steve,
    You are an important source of information for us shade tree noob Viper mechanic...

Yes, thank you Steve for always sharing your knowledge and lending a helping hand. We need more people like you on the forum!

Thanks for the info Steve. I check the micro switch in the rear glass. Couldn’t find anything switches for the doors.

Is the hood switch adjustable?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Easiest way to manage hood switch short term is to build it up in height so that it engaged. The small, round felt pads with sticky backs work well. They can be found in office supply stores, hardware stores, grocery stores.

The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    I had the exact same problem and what i did was turn the alarm on and off. once i did that. for some reason it reset itself and the lights turned off after 20 seconds or something like that. Try turning the alarm on and off and open the doors and shut them again and look for the lights to turn off after 20-30 seconds
    LONG LIVE THE VOA
    One of the ELITE #100's