Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario

Considering new 911 Turbo S but to keep TA or sell is the question

I've got the new car itch and really the only new or newer car that appeals to me is the current 991.2 Porsche Turbo S. I'd like something that would extend our short northern driving season, at least be as great for weekend fun and long distance road trips as the TA has been, and of course still run with the fast guys at the odd track day! I've considered absolutely everything else and this 911 with AWD seems to fit the bill best. I drove one and while it's a hugely impressive and incredibly well-rounded sports car, it's rather lacking in what makes the Viper so special and such an event to own and drive.

So it's this emotional deficit that makes the 911 vs TA decision so difficult. If I let the TA go I know I'll regret it, and have been told I'll be hunting for one again within 2 years, and if I keep it and get the 911 then neither will see much use as I barely seem to have the opportunity to drive the TA as it is. My daily uses mostly requires a truck.

Who else has found themselves in this dilemma, and what advice can you offer? Is life worth living after parting with the Viper, and can you ever love another car as much again? There's really no pressing need to let the TA go, even has warranty until 2021, but I'm afraid if I keep it that it'll get driven about 6 times a year and I couldn't bare to do that to the car and would rather see a new owner fall in love with it.

Decisions, decisions. Any happy Turbo S owners out there that enjoy their's on track the odd time?

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce H.; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:38 PM.
    2014 SRT Black TA. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Keep the TA, drive the TurboS during the off season. Savor the anticipation when the TA exits hibernation.

I was in the same boat as you Bruce, when I bought my Viper. I kept my Gallardo for a year after purchasing the Viper. And when I bought the Gallardo I kept my old Viper for a year with that.

My personal experience has been that only the new one gets driven, well, because it's new. And both being fast toys, they both fill the same role.... This does relegate the TA to occasional status that you fear.

On the plus side, the Turbo S will be almost as fun on track, and much more civilized while you're driving there. They are great, fast cars.
    Brad Williams
    2015 Competition Blue SRT - V/E DSC Suspension - TA1 Aero - StopTech's - SW2's with Corsas, Hummer H1, 70 Dodge Charger, BMW R1200GS Rallye, Ducati 999S, etc

911’s a bit on the boring side for the 10 year old mentality in me... just something very special about the Viper thats exciting.. if your bored maybe consider adding a 9L to the party.

Easy decision sell the TA to me and enjoy your Porsche!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Colorado/Utah/Wyoming/Montana
    Personally I would keep the TA and get the 911. Both cars offer completely different driving experiences. You can appreciate them for what they are and drive which one suites your fancy at the time. Of course you will have less time in the TA, but I would not let fewer mileage a year bother me. If you can afford it, do both. Speaking from personal experience from a guy who DDs a truck and has a few other cars to drive.
    SRT T/A # 3, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante, 2009 Nissan GTR, 2010 Ford F-150

As much as I loved my 997 Turbo, I think I’d personally go the Mac route if I had to have only one fun car. The 991.2 Turbo is the best all-around “quality” sports car on the market IMO, but i thought it was pretty boring when I test drove it. If you keep the Viper, the TTS fits nicely, but if you are selling the Viper, I think you’ll miss the excitement.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Quebec
    Hi my good friend Bruce,
    As you know that I have both a TA2 and a 991.2 Turbo S Cabrio, and we've done some lapping together and you loved the ride in the Turbo at Tremblant 2 years ago. So I say YES get a Turbo S for all the good reasons as it's a great all around performer that you can use all year long, comfortable when cruising, tough track car, even on the Dragstrip as mine did a 10.58 quarter mile all stock. All that this car desperately needs is a better sounding exhaust and you're done with.
    But do NOT sell the TA as you will definitely regret it down the road. As much as I love the Turbo, the Viper is the car that comes out when I get the itch for a real car ride with it's Badass look, row your own gears, menacing sound and it's the only car that brings out all the emotions in me. To me the Turbo is like the great race horse at the Kentucky derby but the Viper is the one at the Rodeo show.
    BTW, here's a small video of a lap at Tremblant last month filmed from our friend Mardig's ACR-E following me in the Turbo S. As you can see the Turbo pulls away in the straights but the Viper quickly catches up in the corners.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W121...ature=youtu.be
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Claude, '16 GTC-TA2.0 Black, Arrow PCM, Belanger, AR mufflers, 3.91 gears, UP Pulley
    '13 Viper GTS/Track pack, White / '15 E63 S AMG / '12 Harley FLH SE built 135 ci
    '17 Porsche 911 TTS Cabrio

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Yup, I agree, time to move on. Go with you gut feel.
    2013 GTS, Custom Paint / Graphics by PREFIX / SRT
    Mods by WMD; Wheels by NINE BALL;

Simple. Sell the TA and get an ACR-E. You won't miss the TA for a moment and have the best Viper ever.

Quote Originally Posted by sharmut View Post
    Keep the TA, drive the TurboS during the off season. Savor the anticipation when the TA exits hibernation.

This. You're already regretting selling the TA, and you haven't sold it yet. I've only been able to drive my Viper less than 1000 miles this year, and it's been sitting a month again now - EVERY weekend, we have crappy weather. So it sits.

But, when I do drive it, it makes it special. Unless financially you need to sell the TA, keep it.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

My older brother bought a 991.2 Turbo S. He had it for 6 months before he got tired of it for the very reasons you want it, it was just too good. The driving experience isn’t any different from normal cars in almost any way other than crazy acceleration and traction. It was his 3rd 911 and he decided to go back to a GT3 which still remains his favorite 911. His 991.2 GT3 touring should be ready for delivery in December.

If you want a car that delivers an experience, the turbo wasn’t it for him. I always told him that using the turbo every day was where the experience was found. If you do get a turbo, use it for what it is amazing at...being good at everything. Drive it to the office, to the grocery store, on trips, at the track, etc. I think if you keep it as a “toy” it won’t have enough of a “toy” persona to fill the void.
    2014 Viper TA - AR headers/exhaust, Arrow ECU - 11.16@132.87mph, 1.95 60'
    08 ISF - headers/exhaust/tune - 12.06@118.81mph, 1.89 60'

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)

Buy a carrera 4 or 4s and keep the TA.

If money weren't an object, I'd go for the GT3 RS....a friend has one (he also has an ACR) and that car is incredible. Wow.

But keep the TA!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Utah/Wyoming/Montana
    The Viper stands out from the crowd. When you pull up in a Viper, people notice. They say wow! Same thing you say when you drive it. When you pull up in 911 Turbo people go "nice Porsche", most don't know the difference between a regular 911 and the Turbo. They are all too similar and the style, while iconic, has been almost the same for 30 years. I had considered getting a 911 Turbo Cabrio as a daily driver (I live in the Denver area) and then I said heck I'll buy another Viper for a daily driver. I drove the Viper everyday to work (until I retired) as long as it wasn't snowing. If it snowed (which actually doesn't happen too often here) I would pull out my Wrangler. Driving the Viper everyday was a thrill for me and almost everyone that saw it.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Cool story George.

I'm sure you could mod the TT S to be as fast or faster than the TA if you chose to while still retaining the all weather capability and minimal ride deterioration. But you will obviously not get the snakes charming demeanor nor the outrageous looks. The Performante would probably be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by SilveRT8 View Post
    Hi my good friend Bruce,
    ...But do NOT sell the TA as you will definitely regret it down the road. As much as I love the Turbo, the Viper is the car that comes out when I get the itch for a real car ride with it's Badass look, row your own gears, menacing sound and it's the only car that brings out all the emotions in me. To me the Turbo is like the great race horse at the Kentucky derby but the Viper is the one at the Rodeo show.
    BTW, here's a small video of a lap at Tremblant last month filmed from our friend Mardig's ACR-E following me in the Turbo S. As you can see the Turbo pulls away in the straights but the Viper quickly catches up in the corners.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W121...ature=youtu.be
    This is the right move, since you can keep both for at least several months and then decide if you want to let go of the T/A. My bet is that after 6 months with the 911TT, that you will come to your senses and be happy that you did not get rid of the T/A. The driving experience is simply too muted in the gadget cars. Whenever I take the Viper out, I am instantly reminded why it can never be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    The Viper stands out from the crowd. When you pull up in a Viper, people notice. They say wow! Same thing you say when you drive it. When you pull up in 911 Turbo people go "nice Porsche", most don't know the difference between a regular 911 and the Turbo. They are all too similar and the style, while iconic, has been almost the same for 30 years. I had considered getting a 911 Turbo Cabrio as a daily driver (I live in the Denver area) and then I said heck I'll buy another Viper for a daily driver. I drove the Viper everyday to work (until I retired) as long as it wasn't snowing. If it snowed (which actually doesn't happen too often here) I would pull out my Wrangler. Driving the Viper everyday was a thrill for me and almost everyone that saw it.
    This is becoming more true by the day. Porsche did a fine job of keeping the 911 shape relevant over the years, and it worked while everyone else was also somewhat caught in an era of stagnant design. But now, the new ideas are really flourishing. Aston's new design language is a perfect example -- I call it luxury sporty, a new direction for sports cars. Ford recently showed us that cars do not have to look like what we're used to. McLaren is also showing us the future, with 720S and Speedtail. Ferrari is getting on board and starting to think outside the box. So, 911 is unfortunately stuck between a rock and hard place. Sure, drive up with a brand new GT2RS and people want to check it out. Pull up in a Ruby GT3RS, and you're still relevant. But anything less than that, and your parking on the back row and nobody is walking over to check it out. Sad, but true.

Now, the Viper -- I honestly cannot explain it. It seems to have a very enduring appeal to it. The cars have been out of production going on two years now, but they still draw crowds. I think it's because they are perceived as raw beasts, that require skill, attention, and maturity to drive well. I think most kids have also probably watched the videos of TT Vipers annihilating everything out there, or built the car up in their Forza games. And yeah, it is a rare sight when you see one -- and every one you see is different.

You know all of this. So you also know this is the right decision. But again, give it 6 months to convince yourself if the devil on your shoulder is still in your ear.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    I have an older 911 Turbo (2002) and prefer the Viper (2001) over it. Yes, I know the new cars are more refined than my old Porsche and Viper GTS. However, Porsche seems light years ahead of the Viper in technology even today. But, to me this makes the Porsche boring to drive and does not force you to really be in control. I got bored with my 911 not long after I bought it. I only keep it around because values have been climbing and eventually i'll cash out. I would keep the T/A and try the Porsche because you might like the Porsche or really regret selling the T/A later. I can see the 911 Turbo being a great everyday car even though I don't use mine in that way.
    Last edited by PittsburghRT; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:24 PM.
    2001 Viper GTS Bumble Bee
    ROE Supercharged

Keep the TA. There are only 30 like yours. Porsche’s are great but the 911 Turbo is not as exciting or as raw as some of the others. I’m surprised you are even considering selling the Viper. You are the one that has been bragging about it since day 1. The Turbo will let you down. Get a GT3 Touring with PDK. It’s more exciting than the Turbo and less hardcore than the regular GT3. Or wait and get the new Vette which should be available soon.
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by sadil View Post
    Get a GT3 Touring with PDK.
    Doesn’t exist.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and suggestions!

My last buying decision in late 2013 came down to choosing between the TA and 911 GT3. They were track competitors, with similar performance but different personalities, and I'm sure I could have been equally happy with either. But 5 years later I wouldn't want one because I've already got those particular bases covered. If I buy something new I would want it to cover those bases and some new ones. The other cars suggested instead of the Turbo S don't offer the luggage capacity for our long distance touring and track destinations, and an ACR would actually need to be trailered which would kill the road trip fun part for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SilveRT8 View Post
    Hi my good friend Bruce,
    As you know that I have both a TA2 and a 991.2 Turbo S Cabrio, and we've done some lapping together and you loved the ride in the Turbo at Tremblant 2 years ago. So I say YES get a Turbo S for all the good reasons as it's a great all around performer that you can use all year long, comfortable when cruising, tough track car, even on the Dragstrip as mine did a 10.58 quarter mile all stock. All that this car desperately needs is a better sounding exhaust and you're done with.
    But do NOT sell the TA as you will definitely regret it down the road. As much as I love the Turbo, the Viper is the car that comes out when I get the itch for a real car ride with it's Badass look, row your own gears, menacing sound and it's the only car that brings out all the emotions in me. To me the Turbo is like the great race horse at the Kentucky derby but the Viper is the one at the Rodeo show.
    Hey Claude! I guess it's obvious that your's left a lasting impression on me! Brutal performance and all wrapped in a thoroughly modern and super high quality all-weather package. What's not to like... the exhaust as you and many others over at Rennlist mention. Are you going to do the exhaust on yours, and don't you think that would be a big improvement in the emotion dept? And keep in mind that the drive with a loud exhaust to Tremblant is 7 hours each way for me, and VIR and Road America are 14, and Road Atlanta is 20 and.....you get the idea. And a 5 minute fuel stop and stretch turns into 20 after discussing the car with those that swarm and photograph it. And Deb makes sure parents get a picture of the kids sitting in it! Sometimes I might like to visit the rodeo rather than be in it

Quote Originally Posted by sadil View Post
    I’m surprised you are even considering selling the Viper. You are the one that has been bragging about it since day 1.
    Well I'm surprised I'm even considering keeping it since when I was buying the TA the plan was to sell it after 4 or 5 years and jump into something new and wonderful for the next 4 or 5 years!

I haven't been bragging at all...all I've done is shared my considerable and hugely positive experiences with the TA for others to benefit from. I can't help it if they go out and buy one and then shout from the mountain tops that it's the most awesome thing ever!
    Last edited by Bruce H.; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:51 PM.
    2014 SRT Black TA. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    Are you going to do the exhaust on yours, and don't you think that would be a big improvement in the emotion dept?
    Here's one with an exhaust and 700 hp to test the emotions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xExhtqat63E

bruce, IIRC havent you left viper and come back already ? you will definitely do it again if so
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    bruce, IIRC havent you left viper and come back already ? you will definitely do it again if so
    Not I, this was my first!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast