SEMA Viper Announcements

This GS1-6 wheel was apparently launched for SEMA this year in Viper fitments for Gen V. GTD-1 is terrific, but this might even look better with the straight spokes (instead of the bowed spoke on the GTD-1). If weight is the same, this could be an awesome wheel for us. Thoughts?

Anyone catch any other SEMA news relevant to Gen V (even though we are out of production)?

Forgeline.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Nevada
    I saw that SunTek will soon introduce a 72” rockguard film so we can have a GenV hood done without seams. I know that’s not earth shattering news but I’m considering having my hood redone with it.
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TA Two Oh View Post
    I saw that SunTek will soon introduce a 72” rockguard film so we can have a GenV hood done without seams. I know that’s not earth shattering news but I’m considering having my hood redone with it.
    I was told it would require a 90” piece, will 72” be enough?
    16 SRT White Full APR Aero kit: front airdam, canards, wing,
    Arrow PCM, Corsa exhaust, IPSCO underdrive pulley, K&N drop-in filter, Magnecor plug wires, SunTek PPF, 3M Stripes

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Nevada
    Great question. One that I'm unfortunately unable to answer; I'm not an installer and I don't fully comprehend what's involved. The SunTek promo material mentioned being able to cover a Viper hood without seams.

For fun, and to satisfy my curiosity, I just went out to my garage and took some rough measurements. The car is up on a lift and I had to use a stepstool to raise myself up, so the measurements that I took won't be perfectly accurate.

But here they are FWIW:

Hood Width... 90" -exactly as you were told. At its widest point, measured using string, following the body contours and including some extra to properly wrap the edges. But keep in mind that the film can go on "sideways" so one could use the full length of the roll to cover the 90"... which is no problem at all since the rolls are dozens of feet long.

Hood Length...76" -estimated. This was tricky with only string, since the corners of the hood nearest the A pillars are the furthest points back, but dead center in the front is the furthest point forward. Obviously, the piece needs to be long enough to cover both places. At 72", it would be appear, at first glance, to be short. But I know that all such films have to have some stretch in them, to cover contours etc. Film installation is akin to covering an orange with a piece of paper, without any folds; the material needs to be able to give / stretch.

Hopefully in the 72" of width, there's 4" of stretch available? That's only 5.55% of the length, and down the center-line of the car, the windshield end of the hood is markedly closer to the front of the car than the corners at the A pillars, so the entire 4" stretch needn't come in a straight line. Thanks to the engineered-in ductility -I think that's the correct term?- the right and left parts of the hood film can start and finish further back than the part in the center. The installer would just secure the corners at the A pillars, then pull the middle forward.

As I said, I'm not an installer so I'm no expert. But it seems reasonable that a 72" wide roll can cover our entire hood. I sure hope so!
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Western Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_fl View Post
    This GS1-6 wheel was apparently launched for SEMA this year in Viper fitments for Gen V. GTD-1 is terrific, but this might even look better with the straight spokes (instead of the bowed spoke on the GTD-1). If weight is the same, this could be an awesome wheel for us. Thoughts?

Anyone catch any other SEMA news relevant to Gen V (even though we are out of production)?

Forgeline.jpg
    That’s a great looking wheel, but it looks pretty meaty in the hub area. GTD1’s appear to only have the option of a raised centre cap because, presumably, the mounting pad has been reduced as much as possible to achieve low weight.

That is a great looking wheel! (Damn)
    Current: 2014 SRT Gunmetal Pearl w/Black Stripes

Previous: 2005 Black SRT-10

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_fl View Post
    The barrel design appears to have a deep drop as it leads away from the front of the rim. Wonder how it compares to the GTD-1. Would be nice to have a few mm more in barrel-to-caliper clearance for the ACR-E folks wanting 18".

Also curious if the load rating is the same as the GTD-1 and durability under repeated track use.

VOA Member
    Northern California
    Happen to know the release date?

Wheels looks pretty industrial and meaty to me. Stock sidewinders put it to shame.
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    WV/PA
    Forgeline told me the GS1-6 is about one pound heavier than the GTD1-Viper due to the non-open lug area.
    • 47,064 miles on it.
    • It's "Time Attack", not "Trans-American", so there's no slash in "TA".
    • If you are sharing a link to a car, please post a photo too, so we can see what you're on about if the link gets broken or the sale ends.
    • The expression "smiles per gallon" has officially been banned for 2019.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario

As I said, I'm not an installer so I'm no expert. But it seems reasonable that a 72" wide roll can cover our entire hood. I sure hope so!
    Hi Doug, Thanks for doing all those measurements, sounds encouraging. Did you make it down to LV in time to catch the last day of SEMA?
    Last edited by Bruce H.; 4 Days Ago at 01:21 PM.
    2014 SRT Black TA. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Awesome looking wheel. That might be an option for me too.
    2003 vert to coupe conversion. (Sold but still missed)
    2013 GTS, black on black, track pack

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmut View Post
    Happen to know the release date?
    They said "very early 2019" which I took to mean January.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    Hi Doug, Thanks for doing all those measurements, sounds encouraging. Did you make it down to LV in time to catch the last day of SEMA?
    Two things conspired against me this year. One...we couldn't leave until after the birthday party. Two... my co-driver, whom you've met, wouldn't allow me to drive more than 150MPH on the way down. So we just, and I mean JUST missed it. A friend sent me the info and photos from the SunTek booth. Next Year...