Enthusiast

Is it a head gasket failure

When I bought the car last year, the owner wasn't sure if the head gaskets were done or not. I lifted the car this morning and I found this...

Gaskets visually seem pretty new, however coolant is dripping on both sides.

What are my options now?
    45991448_10161458076430221_2080568298046488576_n.jpg
    45788048_10161458076300221_3981859502902214656_n.jpg

Enthusiast
    35 views and no one can put their polish rag down long enough to suggest checking the torque on the head bolts? Probably not the long term solution but it's almost a freebie. And may buy some time while you plan a longer term solution.
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    35 views and no one can put their polish rag down long enough to suggest checking the torque on the head bolts? Probably not the long term solution but it's almost a freebie. And may buy some time while you plan a longer term solution.
    Given he looks to be from Canada and the viper season is done I would just go ahead and pull it apart check the deck and heads for straightness and re-gasket... it’s too short a season to start off in the spring hoping the issue is solved.

By the way OP check your oil and coolant for contamination. If it’s leaking out it could be leaking in. You don’t want to smoke that motor my friend.
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Alabama/Tennessee
    If the head gaskets are metal, you should be fine. Monitor for any loss of coolant. The leftover marks/stain on the block would be from the old gaskets leaking if you have the metal ones now
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

I’m one of those 35 views, it was out of my knowledge so I decided to let real Viper expert chime in. But I read most threads to get more experience from Viper experts (like you Dave) on our beloved Viper.

Enthusiast
    Glad to see someone understands that feeling! And that's what I was thinking too, good idea, I'll try to check the torque on head bolts!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverACR View Post
    Given he looks to be from Canada and the viper season is done I would just go ahead and pull it apart check the deck and heads for straightness and re-gasket... it’s too short a season to start off in the spring hoping the issue is solved.

By the way OP check your oil and coolant for contamination. If it’s leaking out it could be leaking in. You don’t want to smoke that motor my friend.
    I've got 3 other sports cars (soon 4) so I'm OK if the car is not ready when spring comes!

Do you have any trick to know if there is contamination?

1. Check for foam under oil cap.
    2. Visually check for oil in coolant tank.

Any other idea?

Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    If the head gaskets are metal, you should be fine. Monitor for any loss of coolant. The leftover marks/stain on the block would be from the old gaskets leaking if you have the metal ones now
    Dripping coolant is green and fresh. On the picture, one of the exhaust manifolds is soaking wet. Head gaskets seem to be metal though. Since I've got the car, I drove it for about 1,200 miles.

Water will gravitate to the lowest point in the system. So you may be able to crack open the oil drain plug (just slightly) and see if you get drips of oil or water coming out. You could also send an oil sample out to Blackstone.
    97 B/W GTS, Cordes Performance Racing built, Chris Jensen tune, Greg Good H/C, solid lifters, TD rockers, Edelbrock headers, Borla exhaust, StopTech BBK, custom valved Konis/Eibach, Autoform Aero, 3.55, Forgestar F14, TeamTech

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs1 View Post
    Water will gravitate to the lowest point in the system. So you may be able to crack open the oil drain plug (just slightly) and see if you get drips of oil or water coming out. You could also send an oil sample out to Blackstone.
    Water is heavier than oil, good point there, thanks!

Hey man, if you need to replace the head gaskets you can call Cometic directly and they will sell you the best head gaskets you can get. Part number H2849SP9051S is what I had to use because I have custom bore sizes, but I hope this helps. They’re not cheap, but you can go through a distributor for a better deal and save 10% or whatever but they do sell direct. I would also recommend replacing the timing cover seal with Cometics replacement as well. I hope this helps 👍

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ttillots View Post
    Hey man, if you need to replace the head gaskets you can call Cometic directly and they will sell you the best head gaskets you can get. Part number H2849SP9051S is what I had to use because I have custom bore sizes, but I hope this helps. They’re not cheap, but you can go through a distributor for a better deal and save 10% or whatever but they do sell direct. I would also recommend replacing the timing cover seal with Cometics replacement as well. I hope this helps ��
    Thanks! From what I understand, here are my options:

1. Try to fix my issue locally by tightening the head bolts.
    2. Do the head gaskets job myself (never did a head gaskets job on any car, but I've just successfully rebuilt a rotary engine).
    3. Pull the engine, send it to Arrow Racing for a complete rebuild (especially if the oil has been contaminated).

If I'm to replace the gaskets myself, yes I will buy Cometic!

Thanks for your advice.

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Do you have any trick to know if there is contamination?

1. Check for foam under oil cap.
    2. Visually check for oil in coolant tank.

Any other idea?

Look at your spark plugs for odd color deposits usually a white fuzzyish from what I remember from way back when I had issue with a SBC. Also yes white milky stuff under your oil cap covers. Drain plug on oil pan was a good tip and dark oily stuff in your overflow bottle. Oil will also go to the highest point in your water system. White
    Smoke out your pipes. A small leak may not show much of anything especially if the water boils off while running.

As I said It’s been quite a while since I have had to diagnose one of these on my own junk, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Good luck sir
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

If you replace the gaskets consider buying them from Dan Lesser and switching to the Mopar orange coolant. Is the exhaust manifold cracked?