Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    908

    Mid Engine Viper Stillborn

    I don't know if anyone has posted on this yet, but I thought the article was pretty cool. I wish they would have built it...

    https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid..._5_HagertyNews

  2. #2
    Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    J TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ontario,MCVO,PA,OH
    Posts
    2,056
    Here was a strong contender that never made it ..........https://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html
    I suspect the ALPHA C8 will be the next mid engine car from FCA.
    White Mamba ,

  3. #3
    Enthusiast Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    2,957
    Hideous...both of them.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

  4. #4
    VOA Member
    since 2016
    Ohio
    Purple Haze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I don't know if anyone has posted on this yet, but I thought the article was pretty cool. I wish they would have built it...

    https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid..._5_HagertyNews
    Great article...

  5. #5
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    SmoknTires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sunny Scottsdale Arizona!
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    Here was a strong contender that never made it ..........https://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html
    I suspect the ALPHA C8 will be the next mid engine car from FCA.
    So much wished the ME would have come to fruition. And what a good looking car, even today. That back end is devious.
    Viper Owners Association
    The Greatest Club on Earth!
    "Build it, and they will come"

  6. #6
    VOA Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    USAFPILOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    200
    The ME412 today would be competitive with the worlds best. They should have built it.

  7. #7
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Fatboy 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South of London, Surrey
    Posts
    5,806
    Call it something else it ain't no viper!

  8. #8
    Considering the design of the ME is 15 + years old, it looks spectacular.

    Exterior, interior, drive line specs and performance. Hell of a package

    Sign me up if something like this materialized. I know....highly unlikely in today's production world with limited resourced available for Halo cars

  9. #9
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    RedTanRT/10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Dana Point
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    Here was a strong contender that never made it ..........https://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html
    I suspect the ALPHA C8 will be the next mid engine car from FCA.
    J TNT, that car was unbelievable!!! Take a look at the link below, they brought the car to an SRT event at Fontana (CA Speedway). The video is dated 2011 but it had to be filmed a few years before 2011. They drew names out of a hat each day for various items and two names to get a ride in the car. Both my wife and I got picked. I traded my wife's ride to a guy who got a red Comp Coupe shirt and I got a drive (this isn't me in the video).

    It was an absolute blast, the second he dropped the throttle I lost my stomach and didn't get it back until we had a hard brake on the second turn. Years later I'm at Viper Tracks event in CA and run into Tom O'Odell from FCA/SRT Racing and tell him the story. He say to me, hey that was me driving the ME412 at that event. What an awesome car!!!!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHVsNNQLJPc&t=55s
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

  10. #10
    Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    J TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ontario,MCVO,PA,OH
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    J TNT, that car was unbelievable!!! Take a look at the link below, they brought the car to an SRT event at Fontana (CA Speedway). The video is dated 2011 but it had to be filmed a few years before 2011. They drew names out of a hat each day for various items and two names to get a ride in the car. Both my wife and I got picked. I traded my wife's ride to a guy who got a red Comp Coupe shirt and I got a drive (this isn't me in the video).

    It was an absolute blast, the second he dropped the throttle I lost my stomach and didn't get it back until we had a hard brake on the second turn. Years later I'm at Viper Tracks event in CA and run into Tom O'Odell from FCA/SRT Racing and tell him the story. He say to me, hey that was me driving the ME412 at that event. What an awesome car!!!!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHVsNNQLJPc&t=55s
    Cool video RedTanR/T10 ! The car was truly ahead of it's time and priced to be more competitive than the exotics of the time .
    Too bad the Germans didn't give their blessings to build it at the time , I guess it was a marketing threat to them...........lol !
    White Mamba ,

  11. #11
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    St. Louis
    bluesrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,622
    both ugly......................................

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Viper Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,380
    DD9DCE67-A8A3-4F96-B7E8-3583EB74A023.jpg


    now I know where this comes from
    Use the Report a post feature... It works!

  13. #13
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Girl View Post
    DD9DCE67-A8A3-4F96-B7E8-3583EB74A023.jpg


    now I know where this comes from
    PARTSRACK!! Includes a nice DVD Video from Team Viper
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  14. #14
    Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    ViperPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Silver Springs FL
    Posts
    2,256
    I would have bought a Me-412. No doubt.
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2005 SRT10 Ram- lowered, T56 conversion, B&B longtubes, many other upgrades (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT

  15. #15
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    RT SERPENT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    200
    I loved the ME-412 when they first started releasing the details back in the day.... and it's still incredible today!
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

  16. #16
    Enthusiast repiV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia/Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    288
    Anyone have any idea where those cars are today? Did FCA destroy them I wonder? They had to have had at least a couple of driveable versions one would think.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by repiV View Post
    They had to have had at least a couple of driveable versions one would think.
    Plenty driveable. Check out the video in post #9. As often is the case, I think it was killed due to new Chrysler ownership.

    Just like I think our Viper would still be alive it it wasn't for the Italians !!!

  18. #18
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    NY/CT
    JPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    150
    They should have built it then....they should build it now! What's their exotic halo now?
    2008 Viper SRT-10 ACR
    Black with Red Drivers Stripe
    1 of 36

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    They should have built it then....they should build it now! What's their exotic halo now?
    Cherokee with a big engine

    Soccer moms make the rules these days

  20. #20
    Tech Team
    DonatoEng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Detriot
    Posts
    47
    There was two versions of the mid engine Viper built to prove the concept

  21. #21
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    ACRSNK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,749
    Great article. Wonder what the ME412 would have looked like today had they decided to build and continue building it. I think that car was beautiful.
    1992 RT/10 - The One & Only FIRST
    2002 ACR - Graphite / Silver Stripe 1 of 22
    2017 GTS-R - The Most Amazing and The Last

  22. #22
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Blair, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,775
    The ME 412 was not a Viper, as it was initially destined to give Chrysler a foothold in the Supercar market. It was sad it was never built, since in person it was stunning and every bit as low to the ground as a Ford GT!! We pushed and cajoled FCA , since we took 10 Deposits and notified the powers to be that there was definitely interest - to no avail.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 18 Stores )

  23. #23
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    WV/PA
    Bryan Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Podunksburg, PA
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    The ME 412 was not a Viper, as it was initially destined to give Chrysler a foothold in the Supercar market. It was sad it was never built, since in person it was stunning and every bit as low to the ground as a Ford GT!! We pushed and cajoled FCA , since we took 10 Deposits and notified the powers to be that there was definitely interest - to no avail.
    With my Viper's value, I have a potential springboard into the next "tier" of performance cars. The only problem is that there's not a single other car out there that I care about, whether or not it was in the tier I was able to afford.

    Assuming it wasn't going to cost a million dollars, the ME412 would have been that car.

    Oh well.
    1. (Community's Perceived Value) > (Market's Perceived Value)
    2. (Community's Perceived Value) + (Mods You've Done) = (Your Perceived Value)
    3. (Market's Perceived Value) - (Mods You've Done) = (Potential Buyer's Perceived Value)
    4. (Market's Perceived Value) + (Mods You Paid Big Name Shop to Install) - ((0.1)*((Car Mileage)/1000)*(Mods You Paid Big Name Shop to Install)) = (Potential Buyer's Perceived Value)
    IG: @platinumgrille

  24. #24
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Photog1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Morton,IL
    Posts
    259
    Chrysler should now build the ME412. It could be the new Viper. Could you imagine a v12 Viper making 850 hp. The article said 0-60 2.9 sec, wow up there with the Veyron and do it for under $150k. What a perfect Gen 6. I bet they would sell the 3000 cars a year like they wanted to. The video of the 412 was cool it does not look like a 15 year old car, it looks like something that could of just recently been built.
    2014 Viper SRT-GT stryker green,2006 Viper SRT10 red vert,2015 Viper GT competition blue/silver stripes,2015 Dodge Charger RT,2017 Ram 2500 Laramie crew cab 4x4
    Previous Vipers 1994 RT10 black,2006 Viper SRT10 blue/silver stripes, 2008 Viper SRT10 black/gray stripes

  25. #25
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    WV/PA
    Bryan Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Podunksburg, PA
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Photog1 View Post
    Chrysler should now build the ME412. It could be the new Viper. Could you imagine a v12 Viper making 850 hp. The article said 0-60 2.9 sec, wow up there with the Veyron and do it for under $150k. What a perfect Gen 6. I bet they would sell the 3000 cars a year like they wanted to. The video of the 412 was cool it does not look like a 15 year old car, it looks like something that could of just recently been built.
    ^^^This x1000.

    There's no need to build a whole new car to replace the Viper. FCA already has one. The only problem I might see is with severed ties to Daimler, component availability might be and issue.

    Heck, the black ME412 even had six-lug wheels!

    ME-412.jpg
    1. (Community's Perceived Value) > (Market's Perceived Value)
    2. (Community's Perceived Value) + (Mods You've Done) = (Your Perceived Value)
    3. (Market's Perceived Value) - (Mods You've Done) = (Potential Buyer's Perceived Value)
    4. (Market's Perceived Value) + (Mods You Paid Big Name Shop to Install) - ((0.1)*((Car Mileage)/1000)*(Mods You Paid Big Name Shop to Install)) = (Potential Buyer's Perceived Value)
    IG: @platinumgrille


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •