Looking to buy this GTS but found something on Carfax Need advise

So i'm in the market and test drove this 1998 GTS:

https://www.fastlaneautosalestx.com/...tails/49340455

Car seems to ride really well and very strong but the carfax shows these two, well one, service records below, should I be concerned and what should I look for/ask for:

1/22/2003 Service Facility Safety inspection performed
    Camshaft position sensor replaced
    Crankshaft position sensor replaced
    Engine timing/front cover replaced
    A/C compressor replaced
    A/C receiver/dryer replaced
    Air conditioning system installed
    Emissions or safety inspection performed

01/22/2003 Allen Samuels Dodge Chrysler Jeep
    Katy, TX
    281-599-3500
    allensamuelsdodgekat
    y.com Oil pan replaced/repaired
    A/C hose/line seals replaced
    Camshaft position sensor replaced
    Crankshaft position sensor replaced
    A/C compressor replaced
    A/C accumulator replaced

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Houston

That wouldn't bother me in the least ... Repairs were made 16 years ago on a car that's now 21 years old. Personally, I would look into those hood gaps a bit more. My '01 GTS never experienced that issue, but it was super low mileage. I know it's fairly common in Gen 2 world.

Ok thank you. Seems to be a very clean car

Enthusiast
    They replaced all that on an engine? That is not some random maintenance stuff. There's a story there. I would want to know more. One of those items? Okay, well, no biggie. But I could fabricate an explanation for that and it would include words like "driver hit giant rock." Or "driver hit small pole."

Why no hood open pics? Detailed hood open pics? What are they hiding there?

Based on what I can see factually on that car, and what I don't know because they aren't declaring it, that's a $30k car. Maybe less.
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sanforb1 View Post
    Seems to be a very clean car
    You have too much tire shine and leather dressing in your eyes.
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Well said, dave6666....BOTH posts are right on the money in my opinion !!
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Arizona
    Dave 6666 is spot on. Looks like something bad may have happened to this car in the front end. The hood alignment is totally FUBAR. Can't possibly make a purchase decision without complete inspection by a trusted Viper expert. I cannot imagine trying to market a Viper without extensive close up pics of the engine bay. Wrong kind of seller to purchase a Viper from unless you have complete ownership documentation and provenance. If you cannot speak to the previous owner(s), take pass.
    96 GTS sold, 99 black/black RT10 sold, 99 black/black no stripe no A/C ACR sold, 03 Competition Coupe chassis # VCC5 sold, 02 yellow/black no stripe ACR sold, 02 yellow/cognac 1 of 1 RT10 sold, 99 silver RT10 in the garage

10-04 guys like i said, it "seems" to be a clean car and that's why I am asking you guys for assistance in this matter.

The rear bumper has been resprayed as well. No black in the areas where it should be matte black. Obvious respray.
    President - American Supercars

If that alignment is the worst of the problem, it's infinitely adjustable. One word: shims. Unfortunately, it also takes an infinite amount of patience to get it right. Do the once over, check the chassis instead and don't worry about the alignment as it's fixable.
    97 Viper GTS --- 99 YZF R1 --- 00 R1100 RT --- 01 Bullet C500 --- 07 Ram 1500 MegaCab --- 13 Outback 3.6R

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    That's a large gap between the front of the hood and the top of the front fascia. Aftermarket stereo and aftermarket shift knob.
    2001 VRY RT/10

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    they replaced all that on an engine? That is not some random maintenance stuff. There's a story there. I would want to know more. One of those items? Okay, well, no biggie. But i could fabricate an explanation for that and it would include words like "driver hit giant rock." or "driver hit small pole."

why no hood open pics? Detailed hood open pics? What are they hiding there?

Based on what i can see factually on that car, and what i don't know because they aren't declaring it, that's a $30k car. Maybe less.
    what he said..
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Houston

Dave's post made me rethink my own ... It is bothering me more now that I read the full list and clicked through more pictures. I can almost feel a 'story' on this car. I can't prove it, just a few decades experience. Proceed with caution. There's a lot of nice Vipers out there, no need to take chances on one that doesn't check out.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Alabama/Tennessee
    mis matched tires, front/rear, rears are PS1 design, likely way old. So, expect to drop some coin on tires too.
    Like others mentioned, probably a $30k car, tops.
    Silver '98 RT/10 6.5 Roe S/C, 1.7 HS RR's, Roe Hi-Flow Cats, B & B Headers/3" exhaust, 3.33, Eibachs, SRT front brake upgrade, Toms 40mm rear upgrade .....

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Search for another car...
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Thanks guys. I’ll be looking elsewhere for one with less questionable items.