Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Great Video, Thank you.
    1995 Black RT/10. K&N filters, Cat delete w/Thrush bullet mufflers. LED headlights low/high and fogs.

Great video, learn a lot of interesting facts.
    Thank you for sharing

Thanks for making the video...good stuff...I had no idea there was a pocket behind the drivers seat...just checked to see if the VHS was still there but no luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda Cody View Post
    My goal was to keep the video under 50 minutes, but that meant I had to cut some stuff out. Now looking at the video I wish I would have spoke a little quicker in the paperwork area and kept some of the stuff that I cut out (like the details about when this card was used in Vipers). But ultimately I cut it out of the video.Attachment 36655
    Why not doing a separate video about all the outtakes? For sure that would be as interesting as the main one ;-)

I couldn't stop thinking about the cam change for 98 MY, hope you don't mind, Cody ;-)

I went down to my basement and grabbed my old Viper Quarterly magazines, looking for one that had some info on the "new" MY 98. I finally found something in the spring 1998 issue. In this article, Herb Helbig states, that the only under hood change were the new tubular stainless headers and other than that the Viper remained mechanically unchanged. Now, could still be, that they just didn't mention the cam change if it was that minimal....

I just love to browse those old magazines, maybe even more so because I became a Viper owner in 2012, so I missed the golden Gen2 era when it was real. Reading those articles and looking at all those photos is almost like travelling back in time ;-)

It didn't mention the first time option of having a reset alarm key hole hidden in the glove box, but we know that happen in 1998 too.

I glanced at some parts catalogs to see what they list for part numbers and it shows 3 different part numbers that I can find. Might be more, but I don't have all the year parts books. In 1997 the Cam Part # is listed as 4763 708. By 2000 the Cam Part # is listed as 4763 708AC even though we know it changed in 2000. That is most likely because the book might have been written in 1999 for the upcoming year and that would be in line with them using a revised cam for 98 and 99. In 2001 the Cam Part # is listed as 5037 151AA. I can't say for sure either way, but I do specifically recall being told there was a minor cam revision in 1998. I've owned several 1998's and think they are a great year for Viper, but I love all of them so I'm not exactly the best person to pick good and bad years. I think they are all special.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Sad thing is people will still join a forum and make their first question what year is the best to buy. Followed by a barrage of other unintelligent questions.
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Damn this video is exactly what I was looking for. And it was almost posted on my bday. Learned a lot and thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

Enthusiast
    Great video, the 2000 + engines as you mentioned went with the eutectic pistons which as you noted are not a great option for supercharged engines. This is particularly true not just because of the change from forged to eutectic, but because the rods were changed to a longer rod. This change meant the pistons were now shorter and lighter as well as a ring package that was tighter and closer to the top of the piston. Though these pistons won’t tolerate detonation and poor tuning in supercharged applications, they will however work great in properly tuned higher hp, naturally aspirated applications. Thanks for taking the time to produce the video. I particularly loved your enthusiasm of the car.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Awesome Video, Wow you just did not stop talking

I learned a lot of new stuff from that Video, I never knew about the light and Window date codes, also the laser alignment with shim packing.

Awesome video! Thanks for putting together. Also, awesome garage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12