Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655

    25 Years Ago Some COOL Hissssstory V O I 1 Video

    Many thanks to Kurt Wadsworth in PA for helping to resurrect the VHS tape of VOI-1 and get in on YouTube.

    Back then, there were only Gen 1 Vipers; No National clubs; only 4 regional clubs; No CAAP; Dodge Marketing and JRThompson were DaMen. And Dodge still mustered up a few hundred owners for a party. I think it cost $250. We toured MACK AVE! It did NOT have "VOI-1" name, just VOI. [No one knew if there would be a second!]

    So after 25 years and 14 VOIs, take 45 minutes and look back. WERE YOU THERE? Speak Up! Provide an anecdote? You will love the stroll down the Viper Memory Lane:
    Enjoy....
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-21-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  2. #2
    Enthusiast My98RT10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    935
    This is soooo cool! We need more of those videos, thanks so much for sharing!

  3. #3
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    XSnake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    2,541
    I have this VHS, no VHS player though. lol
    ACR-X #26 - 1992 RT/10 - Demon PCP - Ram TRX

  4. #4
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655
    Were you there? Do tell !
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  5. #5
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    LifeIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Viper Drive, AZ
    Posts
    793
    Damn Jon, you had personality then...what happened?
    2001 VRY RT/10

  6. #6
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsGood View Post
    Damn Jon, you had personality then...what happened?
    That was Before CLUBS!

    Club Politics and 12000+ posts must have made me crusty, crabby and prematurely grey!
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  7. #7
    Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    J TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ontario,MCVO,PA,OH
    Posts
    2,506
    Nice blast from the past , thanks for sharing Jon !
    Charter Member ,

  8. #8
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    ViperSRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI & Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,215
    Thanks Jon. Geez people I know looked a lot younger back then!

    Ron

  9. #9
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    1ststrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    WIsconsin
    Posts
    683
    Thanks for posting Jon.

  10. #10
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    North Texas

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lipan, Texas
    Posts
    439
    I was there!!! Have the videos, also ... AND the MUG!!!

    Still the best gathering of all ... no one knew what to expect, even Dodge.

    Drove the late '93 from Virginia to Detroit. Rained like mad all through WVA. Got some towels to plug leaks ...

    Stopped at rest area about 10 miles outside of Detroit. A Maryland Viper was there.

    After a bathroom break, we introduced ourselves ...

    Looked in his Viper ..

    His towels were in the same place as ours!!!

    Being a Mopar Freak my whole life, this was as good as it could possible get ...

  11. #11
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    120
    Jon- Thanks for sharing. I bet it was a great time!
    2004 Silver Gen 3 Vert
    2013 White SRT Viper GTS (Sold)
    1996 Viper GTS (Sold)

  12. #12
    Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Fatboy 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South of London, Surrey
    Posts
    7,329
    Its really funny looking at the Video stye and the fashions / haircuts people had

    The cars have aged much better than we have

  13. #13
    Enthusiast GTS Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    1,373
    I was there! My wife and I also celebrated our wedding anniversary in Detroit - just not our first. We partied quite late the night before the MIS parade laps and IROC race, so we were hung over at the tail-end of the convoy the whole day. Everyone there was saying - 'I've only ever seen 2, or 3, or 5 Vipers in one place.' This event had slightly over 200. The whole event was a very, very special time!

  14. #14
    Enthusiast A2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Glass City Ohio
    Posts
    196
    It would be nice to see the names of people that attended. Anyone have that list??

  15. #15
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014

    Heysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    163
    That's some nice footage. Thanks for sharing.
    2010 Toxic Orange ACR

  16. #16
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655
    Ironoic to say, but I was amazed at who is NOT in the video! Think about it....


    Quote Originally Posted by A2008 View Post
    It would be nice to see the names of people that attended. Anyone have that list??
    At one time I had the attendee owner list! It was FAXED to me few months afterwards, with Dodge Marketing permission. Dodge was VERY possessive of their owners list.

    Sadly, if you are old enuf to remember wax-paper-roll fax machines, after about 5 years the image faded away.

    Its in a box in storage somewhere tho.....
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  17. #17
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Blair, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,622
    Recognized a ton of folks , but have to thank Jon B. for posting this , since he obviously from the picture had just come out of puberty -- damn you look young JB, ha!! Best 47 plus minutes of video I have watched all Winter. If you haven't watched this, find time in your day to enjoy the primary years of the Viper.

    And to Kurt W., thanks for resurrecting this old video - made my day!
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 02-20-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    Retired and time to get back on track ---literally!

  18. #18
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    I was there! My wife and I also celebrated our wedding anniversary in Detroit - just not our first. We partied quite late the night before the MIS parade laps and IROC race, so we were hung over at the tail-end of the convoy the whole day. Everyone there was saying - 'I've only ever seen 2, or 3, or 5 Vipers in one place.' This event had slightly over 200. The whole event was a very, very special time!
    Dean, were you there in /at the bar when we created and sang the parody of "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena [Kansas City]" to Jean Randall ? It was later published in Viper Quarterly, issue 1 or 2...... This video opens with it !!
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  19. #19
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655
    Thanks Bill: One funny anecdote: Lutz arrived at the Dodge Mansion parking lot in his HELICOPTER.

    200+ Vipers were there, polished to pristine condition, tops-off. The dust-devil that helo kicked up affected 40-50 of the cars parked in the back rows there ! Folks were scurrying to get their Calif Dusters and other mist-wipe stuff out in the panic!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Recognized a ton of folks , but have to thank Jon B. for posting this , since he obviously from the picture had just come out of puberty -- damn you look young JB, ha!! Best 47 plus minutes of video I have watched all Winter. If you haven't watched this, find time in your day to enjoy the primary years of the Viper.
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  20. #20
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Blair, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,622
    Crap , Lutz damn near looked like George Clooney's brother back then?! Super cool everyone got to go to the Dodge Mansion , & I now understand why many who made that first event passionately state it would be hard to ever completely match the excitement? Might be nice to see if Dodge would allow the Club to reprint this on a CD Disc and have for sale through the Club Store -- I know I would buy a copy!!
    Retired and time to get back on track ---literally!

  21. #21
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Crap , Lutz damn near looked like George Clooney's brother back then?! Super cool everyone got to go to the Dodge Mansion , & I now understand why many who made that first event passionately state it would be hard to ever completely match the excitement? Might be nice to see if Dodge would allow the Club to reprint this on a CD Disc and have for sale through the Club Store -- I know I would buy a copy!!
    Who would have the guts to ask?!? Last I heard..................

    Many who attended got an Indy Pace Car Lapel Pin from 1991 race. White/Red, you can see it on some interviewees. Mine can be seen on the Shelby-Signed glove box latch.

    Thats a neat memento.....
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  22. #22
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    North Texas

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lipan, Texas
    Posts
    439
    IMG_0014.jpg

    Haven't touched this in years ...

    Still looks new ...

    Hope this works.

  23. #23
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,655
    When we went to CTC for the group photo, a short rain-burst fell. Sneaky Pete Agalzoff (RIP) and I were there from rainy Oregon, and WE knew how to put a soft top and windows on FAST. Some tonneau too. Many owners there had NEVER built their soft tops or Tonneau!

    There were dozens of owners waving $10 and $20 bills at us yelling "Next Next" asking for help. Pete and I probably installed 20 tops in 30 minutes, and we had quite an audience watching how it was done. We discovered then and there, that 92 and early 93 tops were vinyl; 93 late were canvas with 92 hardware; and 94 were different hardware than either.

    [We did NOT accept the $$]

    'Sneaky Pete' Agalzoff was credited by many with creating the "Snake Salute" with 2-finger-thumb fangs that became common at VOI-1 and later. Miss him..... lost too young






    Quote Originally Posted by gfviperman View Post
    I was there!!! Have the videos, also ... AND the MUG!!!

    Still the best gathering of all ... no one knew what to expect, even Dodge.

    Drove the late '93 from Virginia to Detroit. Rained like mad all through WVA. Got some towels to plug leaks ...

    Stopped at rest area about 10 miles outside of Detroit. A Maryland Viper was there.

    After a bathroom break, we introduced ourselves ...

    Looked in his Viper ..

    His towels were in the same place as ours!!!

    Being a Mopar Freak my whole life, this was as good as it could possible get ...
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  24. #24
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Arizona
    Desert Venom Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    142
    Awesome video. Bob Lutz was and still is an incredible guy. We were very fortunate to have him at the helm.
    Washed-up Viper pilot.

  25. #25
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan
    Posts
    408
    Someone needs to convert this to a DVD. Great video that captures the passion we have for these cars. Brings to light what "snake-bit" really means.


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •