VOA Member
    since 2019
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming

Securing Viper on trailer

I'm looking to purchase a Viper in the next week or so, and I'm lucky enough that it is local so I will drive up with my trailer and tow the car (01' GTS) home. That being said, what do you guys do to secure the car when transporting via trailer?

My aluminum deck trailer is setup with standard "D" rings at each end. I've heard from a handful of folks that they use "R" or "J" hooks in the factory chassis holes, and I've reached out to Mac's (premium tie down company), as I have some of their straps already, and they recommended axle straps through the wheels and specifically against using the "R" or "J" hard mount method. Unfortunately my current axle straps are too short for the Viper wheels and I don't have any form of "hook" on-hand so I need to purchase one or the other.

Curious what you guys are doing with your cars?

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    JRP, I use the straps over the wheels, some of my buddies use e-track. Better/easier method then tying to the tie downs.

tire strap front.jpg

tire strap rear.jpg
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    Here is what I use. Through wheel straps. I cross the rear and straight on the front. I've towed my viper several times with no issues to report. I've heard its possible to mess up alignment with this style, but I think you would have to really tighten the straps to make that happen. I just get them snug. This style, or like RedTan showed allows the car's suspension to move freely.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vulcan-Classi...gateway&sr=8-3
    14' White w/black stripes SRT. 18 speaker stereo, sidewinder II's, Sabelt leather
    (Sold) 06' VCA coupe 14/50. Paxton supercharged, Gen IV hood, Corsa exhaust, ACR wing.
    (Sold) 03' Black convertible.

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    750F8339-FCE0-48D6-9871-B7BEB25E663F.jpgI don’t have a G2 but I do use j hooks in the front frame and use my aftermarket tow hook in the rear. I bought my straps from strapman. https://strapman.com call the guy and he’ll put a kit together for you real quick. I cannot tell you how good their customer service was for me.
    Last edited by SilverACR; 03-06-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

This may not be helpful for your trailer, but I use the tie downs over each tire. It was an extra option offered by Futura. (Trailer also comes with 4 D rings)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Viper GTC TA 1.0 aero (1 of 1) ; 2016 Shelby GT350 R ; 2015 Sublime Challenger Hellcat A8; 2019 Durango SRT Octane Red

MAC wheel straps and tie-downs. They sell it as a kit that works great for Vipers/Vettes if you get the wider 40” straps for the rear. I’ve use mine several times on different trailers with zero issues.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...h-axle-straps/
    Last edited by WDW MKR; 03-06-2019 at 10:06 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    I utilize Mac's direct to the frame. My trailer has 8 tie downs but no E-track. No issue but a bit of a PIA in the front being careful to not scratch the front fascia. This method would be a worse PIA with a lower car than my stock GEN IV. I bought the R or J hooks to insert into the frame holes 1st which would make securing to d-rings easier based on a similar thread in this forum's recommendation but have not utilized them. Any of these methods described work well.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming

Thanks for the feedback. Picking up a set of Mac's extended axle straps with fleece wheel protectors, and threw a pair of "J" hooks on the order too so I can test them out. My goal is to upgrade to an enclosed trailer in the next few years and I think I'll go with E-track and the over the wheel method when that happens.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerJRP View Post
    I've reached out to Mac's (premium tie down company), as I have some of their straps already, and they recommended axle straps through the wheels and specifically against using the "R" or "J" hard mount method.
    It would be interesting to find out their reasoning for recommending against using the factory transit tie-down points.
    Jim

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    I think it comes down to do you load through the suspension (i.e. frame points) or allow the suspension to move freely while restraining the wheels. Through the frame holds the vehicle more securely (i.e. less body movement during transit) but does so by loading the suspension significantly more than normal. I think both can be equally secure, but note that wheel method allows vehicle movement so clearances have to accommodate it.

If the trailer setup allows it I'd definitely opt for the over wheel straps.

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston
    Although not a Viper, I had to share an alternative method for securing a car from our favorite competitor...

VetteTrailer.JPG

so does the gen 3/4 use r hooks or j hooks? seeing people here use both, but would like the best fit.

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redx View Post
    so does the gen 3/4 use r hooks or j hooks? seeing people here use both, but would like the best fit.
    I use J hooks although a specific kind from strapman. I hook in my front frame rails just behind the front tires. The back I have a single rear extraction hook point and the other side I grab the hole in the frame. The dual hook styles do not fit so you need the single hook style (see my picture earlier in this post) I don’t have any concerns with strapping like this and my friend showed me how to do this on his 08 ACR who has been doing this for quite a while.

I cross the rears and front are somewhat straight to the side of the trailer.
    Last edited by SilverACR; 03-12-2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added how I strap the car
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

I've used both R-hooks on the frame holes, and 2" axle straps carefully wrapped around the inboard wishbone pivot mounts. In both cases, I cross the straps to the opposite side of the trailer. You have to be a little more careful with the hooks so you don't damage the holes in the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    It would be interesting to find out their reasoning for recommending against using the factory transit tie-down points.
    I use the factory tie down points, the oval shaped holes just in front of the front lower control arms and just behind the rear lower control arms, on the outside of the frame rails. These T- hooks work well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-T-Hook-To...wAAOSwQItUHIgj
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Hook-5-16...0AAOSwFGNcL8QW
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-G70-W...kAAOSw~e5ZOI-P

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    I have towed all over USA, and I hate to have the towed vehicle suspension active and floating, since it often is NOT in synch with the trailer suspension. The car is bouncing at a different Up / Down harmonic rate than the trailer. Often OPPOSITE!

On mountain / twisty / bumpy roads you can get the car out-of-synch and 'fighting' with the trailer over whoop-dee-doos. Its a queeesy feeling.

I dont have an issue 'bending' the frame-eyes a little bit with repeated, well-tightened J or D hooks in frame holes.

And I love Anti-Sway Bars between tow rig and trailer. Great Confidence booster.

I also only X the straps or chains at one end....or the other!

If you X both, as X X the car can "roll" more easily vs having just one end Xd.

Look closely: Two X X is essentially the same as two slanted Parallels = =

I prefer = X .

I have also seen thru-the-wheel tie downs done wrong, BENDING the wheel.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

TRUE STORY: waay back in 1999 we had a track day at PIR-Portland. 33 cars from Canada to Calif. A well-to-do newbee from Seattle drove 260 miles to PIR with his new GTS on his rented U-haul trailer, behind his monster Cummins Ram Diesel at 700+ HP

When he came thru the gate he was bragging about his truck and the burnout he could do. He did one just after passing thru the gate.....and LAUNCHED his new GTS half-way off the rear of the trailer! 2 rear wheels "floating" in air, Belly dragging on trailer.

HE DID NOT HAVE ANY TIE-DOWNS ON THE VIPER AT ALL !!!!!!!! It was merely PARKED on the U-haul!!!!! Interstate-5 for 250 miles.

Several of our stronger guys, including Conan The Barbarian from Disney (really!) helped lift and push his Viper back on the trailer. The track manager wanted to expel him for the burnout at the gate...... Cooler and older heads prevailed.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP !!!
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 07-13-2019 at 05:21 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

If you have experience of towing on a trailer so go for it if not i would recommend dont take any risk, There are must be alot of towing companies in your city you can take a towing service if your home is away form buying location they also provide Long Distance Towing services, so take care of your viper.
    Last edited by City; 08-05-2019 at 09:42 AM.