Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil v10 View Post
    I see from picture they do away with hangers, why is that and will it cause vibration ,will check engine light come on due to oxygen sensor being on a 90 degree angle.
    They do away with the hangers when they do away with the flex joints. If the hanger was still there, it would cause the header to crack.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil v10 View Post
    I see from picture they do away with hangers, why is that and will it cause vibration ,will check engine light come on due to oxygen sensor being on a 90 degree angle.

LESS LIKELY in some years to throw a CEL with these 90-d spacers
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

They did away with the expensive OEM flex joint which allows controlled thermal expansion and some torque/vibration absorption. The OEM cats are typically quite heavy relative to HF aftermarket cats. With a flex joint on the manifold end, the engineers needed to support the heavy end from sagging and hitting the rocker sill, so the bar and silicone isolator are provided.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Anyone know what the power bump is from the cats alone, if any?

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    Since dynos are 98% accurate, the 2% margin is likely within the power bump. Year Matters. I suspect it is honest to estimate +$10HP

If it gains 10-15 HP G5 you cannot "prove" 2% on a G5. Most Do it primarily for COOLNESS and better sound as noted in 11 pages.....
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Since dynos are 98% accurate, the 2% margin is likely within the power bump. Year Matters. I suspect it is honest to estimate +$10HP

If it gains 10-15 HP G5 you cannot "prove" 2% on a G5. Most Do it primarily for COOLNESS and better sound as noted in 11 pages.....
    Oh I understand it's not a huge power adder here. I was just curious. I did it to reduce drone and to reduce heat, in that order. I would do it if it cost 10 hp.
    2013 GTS- Venom Black w/ Gunmetal stripes
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded
    2011 Lexus GX460: Daily

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    I posted this in another thread but these were my numbers.
    20201107_131630 (1).jpg
    2014 GTS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    Was hoping someone could explain or shed some light on this strange occurrence. On the way to NVE4, I stalled the car twice consecutively on accident. This then threw a code "P0420 catalyst system efficiency bank 1". I've had this code before driving in the mountains, but I cleared it and it never came back until the drive down to NVE4 (7 months and about 500 miles later).

What is strange to me is that while at NVE4, the code was always present until I accidentally filled half a tank with 87 octane. I hadn't realized I did this until it was too late... I was so used to the 93/Premium button being on the side this particular station had their 87/Regular button. I figured it'd be fine as long as I don't hammer the car so I just ran it on "eco" mode. Here's the strange part... After filling with half a tank of 87, the P0420 code went away. Upon my next fill-up of 93, the P0420 code returned. So how is this possible? I thought with O2 sensors you usually will have better/cleaner readings with higher octane fuel.
    2014 GTS

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    Was hoping someone could explain or shed some light on this strange occurrence. On the way to NVE4, I stalled the car twice consecutively on accident. This then threw a code "P0420 catalyst system efficiency bank 1". I've had this code before driving in the mountains, but I cleared it and it never came back until the drive down to NVE4 (7 months and about 500 miles later).

What is strange to me is that while at NVE4, the code was always present until I accidentally filled half a tank with 87 octane. I hadn't realized I did this until it was too late... I was so used to the 93/Premium button being on the side this particular station had their 87/Regular button. I figured it'd be fine as long as I don't hammer the car so I just ran it on "eco" mode. Here's the strange part... After filling with half a tank of 87, the P0420 code went away. Upon my next fill-up of 93, the P0420 code returned. So how is this possible? I thought with O2 sensors you usually will have better/cleaner readings with higher octane fuel.
    It was likely a coincidence, so I wouldn't think about it too much.

My experience with that code is that it is generally triggered when you have a combination of long distance, low load, low RPM operation (read: highway driving) coupled with the high flow cats. There's also a drive cycle aspect to it - my first two drives with the high flows didn't throw any codes. In the middle of the third drive, it did. Having low tolerance for lights on the dash, I just turned the code off and never worried about it again.

Aftermarket cats will never work as well as OEM cats when it comes to scrubbing the exhaust, which is kinda the point - if you want high flow, the catalyst has less time to clean things up as the exhaust is moving through them. OEM cats have to get to something like 8 years/80,000 miles (federally mandated); aftermarket cats do not. Expecting them to function like the OEM cats without some sort of trade-off is expecting too much.

Personally, I'd never recommend high flows unless you are willing to play the games that go along with them. Sure, there are work-arounds like the spacers you see everyone touting on here, but the underlying issue will always remain.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011