Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

High flow cats from JonB finally installed Should have done this long ago

I ordered these from Parts Rack, and received prompt and helpful responses from Jon B. It took about 10 days to get these as they were made to order. Install was simple but somewhat time consuming. Fit was perfect with no surprises or any strange hang ups.
    55476723_844411152577492_842558320165257216_n.jpg
    I took measurements of the stock exhaust tip location to make fitting the reconfigured unit easier.

54728745_725453314540518_6263588177714348032_n.jpg
    I wrapped the yellowed portion of the inner skirt area with carbon fiber wrap from Vivid. I had some on hand and FCA was useless on this defect, so it went on.
    IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    I'm happy with the look!
    54727887_2198496420245362_3886471569203003392_n.jpg

I left the joint between the muffler and the cat loose enough to be able to adjust the tips. I slid the skirt on and off using the arms of the lift to support them as I made my final adjustments.
    Last edited by timberwolf; 03-25-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Located in NY/CT area

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Going HF, how much louder is the car?
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

I left the joint between the muffler and the cat loose enough to be able to adjust the tips. I slid the skirt on and off using the arms of the lift to support them as I made my final adjustments.
    IMG_0017.jpg
    Once the fit was right, I checked everything, torqued everything then checked for leaks. After a thorough check of both sides I buttoned her back up.
    Here is a quick startup video:

Driving impressions:
    1) The heat is gone! No more melting/burning bs, or scalding hot skirt. After normal driving, you can place your hand on the skirt under the side badges and the car is warm like it was driven hours before, not 120*+ or what not.
    2) The drone is gone. I honestly could not drive this car with the windows up before. The drone or harmonic humming in my left ear always obliged me to open the window. Well that's gone. Even my girlfriend said it was way more civilized during normal driving.
    3) The sound now comes from the exhaust tips and less of that ambient head dizzying cabin filling sound. Its crisper, sharper and less muffled. Oh and it's only louder in the higher range of the rpm band.
    4) Much more eager to rev. I have the Arrow PCM which I don't love but is still better than the stock throttle response. The car now is eager to go! I haven't been able to really get on it as we haven't warmed up enough and now drag radials really make sense, between the tune, pulley and high flow cats, she's snappy.
    5) I feel the power difference. I'm humbled by all the guys with Nth and Calvo cars running around with 1XXXhp+hp, when this setup feels fast after a winter away!

Overall, this was a great bang for the buck. I wish I had done this years ago. I considered full headers, but this is just the right amount of noise, and probably the larger part of the hp gain for my situation. Ideally an HP tune would top this nicely.

Thanks,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Located in NY/CT area

Again I haven't revved it all the way out as it's still in the 40s here but I'd say it quieter at highway speeds and normal driving then maybe 20% louder in the upper range. It's a different sound now as that torturous drone is gone!
    Located in NY/CT area

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New Jersey

Wolf, Looks great! Are you using the stock Mufflers (catbacks)??
    2013 GTS, 2018 Trackhawk,2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2010 HARLEY SUPER GLIDE CUSTOM

Quote Originally Posted by SRT BILL View Post
    Wolf, Looks great! Are you using the stock Mufflers (catbacks)??
    Yes. Everything else is stock and to be honest it's perfect for me.
    Located in NY/CT area

Nice, did you go with 200 cell metallic substrate?
    Venom Black Viper TA #15 ~ CM700

I need to give John a call this is something I need to do, getting rid of the drone and dropping the side temps is worth it alone.
    2014 Black Ta #5/33

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

i got the belanger exhaust with high flows, was a big improvement over stock: lower drone, deeper sound, flush exhaust tips, no more scalding side sill temps
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
    Nice, did you go with 200 cell metallic substrate?
    Yes I requested this, which was a challenge to get done. But Jon got it done. Not sure how easily he can make more, but it was worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    i got the belanger exhaust with high flows, was a big improvement over stock: lower drone, deeper sound, flush exhaust tips, no more scalding side sill temps
    The high flows I have are by Belangers. So I can confirm the low drone!!
    Located in NY/CT area

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Wish I could do it and be sure of no CEL and be sure that I can pass CA smog... The heat from that downstream cat is ridiculous - it's starting to make my clear wrap bubble up.

So is that a 3"pipe with a 3"cat, going to 2.5in for the catback? thanks, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Wish I could do it and be sure of no CEL and be sure that I can pass CA smog... The heat from that downstream cat is ridiculous - it's starting to make my clear wrap bubble up.
    I have the same cats they are made by Belanger. They do everything that the OP says but I have the stock pcm and I have tried numerous things and cannot get rid of the CEL. These engines are very touchy, I had another Gen V with the exact same setup and with O2 spacers the CEL went away.

Those cats will likely throw a code...they did on my Gen 4.

If you are concerned, just break up the secondary cat on both sides. It isn't monitored by the PCM, so it shouldn't throw any codes.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    No CELs here, installed Jon's catback/h-flow system back in '16. Detailed what I, and others, did here: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...highlight=jonb
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

Enthusiast
    Not sure why you wouldn’t pass smog with the secondary cats removed. The sensor is after the first set of cats. Anything after that smog wouldn’t detect.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

i had no cel on stock PCM with belanger HF cats and secondary removed
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    It's a total crap shoot whether you get a CEL or not. On my Gen IV, I had what I think is this setup and I was fine for a few hundred miles. Then I got a CEL and couldn't get rid of it. I'd clear the codes, and it would come back. About the only way to keep it from happening was to constantly stay on the car and keep it under high load - I suppose that kept the cats hot enough to burn everything off. If I was in city traffic, CEL would light up for sure. It drove me nuts because you never know when it will happen - if I'm just about to have the smog guy plug into the OBD port and do the idle test, if the CEL shows up, that's game over.

Another problem with these cars is they have inspection ports under the cats. The smog guys do a visual now, and they check to see that the stock cats are in place (at least where I am - maybe there are less anal smog checkers in other areas of the state).

Maybe the best thing to do is to just gut the second cat. That's the one that causes the problems.

It's a total crap shoot whether you get a CEL or not. On my Gen IV, I had what I think is this setup and I was fine for a few hundred miles. Then I got a CEL and couldn't get rid of it. I'd clear the codes, and it would come back. About the only way to keep it from happening was to constantly stay on the car and keep it under high load - I suppose that kept the cats hot enough to burn everything off. If I was in city traffic, CEL would light up for sure. It drove me nuts because you never know when it will happen - if I'm just about to have the smog guy plug into the OBD port and do the idle test, if the CEL shows up, that's game over.

Another problem with these cars is they have inspection ports under the cats. The smog guys do a visual now, and they check to see that the stock cats are in place (at least where I am - maybe there are less anal smog checkers in other areas of the state).

Maybe the best thing to do is to just gut the second cat. That's the one that causes the problems.
    Where is the inspection port to see the rear cat?
    Self tuned HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA=+1000)
    [B]Arrow Heads & Cam - best run is coming
    (Sold) 1997 Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by serpent View Post
    Not sure why you wouldn’t pass smog with the secondary cats removed. The sensor is after the first set of cats. Anything after that smog wouldn’t detect.
    That is is the second sensor, there is one to the front of the cats, the pcm is looking for a differential.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    I gotta get on this. Thanks for the write up. Did you put the O2 sensors straight in or did you use a spacer? I used a 90’ spacer on my gen3 to make the sensor fit easier and not get a cel.
    2003 vert to coupe conversion. (Sold but still missed)
    2013 GTS, black on black, track pack

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    That is is the second sensor, there is one to the front of the cats, the pcm is looking for a differential.
    Jack so on a stock set up are you saying there are two sensor on both sides? If so how can you get around a CEL. Thanks for any reply just trying to understand better before making any changes.
    2013 GTS, 2018 Trackhawk,2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2010 HARLEY SUPER GLIDE CUSTOM

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Where is the inspection port to see the rear cat?
    There are holes underneath the area where the cats are. The smog guys either take a mirror and light and look up there, or they sometimes take a bore scope and poke around. They also go to town with a flashlight and mirrors in the engine compartment to look to see if anything appears non-stock (like headers). It's ridiculous - if there's no CARB number on the cat that's easily visible, or if the cat doesn't look stock, they'll fail us on the visual inspection and send us to a referee station for a full government inspection.

I got dinged one time for a K&N filter that didn't have a CARB number on it. Pissed me off to no end.

There are holes underneath the area where the cats are. The smog guys either take a mirror and light and look up there, or they sometimes take a bore scope and poke around. They also go to town with a flashlight and mirrors in the engine compartment to look to see if anything appears non-stock (like headers). It's ridiculous - if there's no CARB number on the cat that's easily visible, or if the cat doesn't look stock, they'll fail us on the visual inspection and send us to a referee station for a full government inspection.

I got dinged one time for a K&N filter that didn't have a CARB number on it. Pissed me off to no end.
    Best solution, GTFO of that dumpster fire of a state.

We must have different sills, the only hole in my sills is a small drip hole that lines up with the drip hole in the muffler.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast