Programming a new Key Fob

I just purchased my 13 GTS but it only had one key fob, so the dealer is sending me a new one and will require a Dodge dealer to reprogram it (which they are paying for, no worries). However I REALLY don't want the dealer touching the car, and would prefer to do myself as I'm a performance shop owner.

Is there a way to reprogram the Gen V key fob yourself if you already have one good one to start with?
    Steve
    '13 GTS, Race Yellow

VOA Member
    since 2014
    WV/PA
    Quote Originally Posted by stylin View Post
    I just purchased my 13 GTS but it only had one key fob, so the dealer is sending me a new one and will require a Dodge dealer to reprogram it (which they are paying for, no worries). However I REALLY don't want the dealer touching the car, and would prefer to do myself as I'm a performance shop owner.

Is there a way to reprogram the Gen V key fob yourself if you already have one good one to start with?
    I don't know the correct answer to this, but back in the day, the dealer had to hook up one of their DRBs to program one. Otherwise, what would stop a person from getting a bunch of blanks and stealing all the cars?

They can probably do it for you in the parking lot. There shouldn't be any need to take your car into the shop.
    Last edited by Bryan Savage; 05-06-2019 at 01:01 PM.
    TA 37/93. 65,229 miles.
    IG: @platinumgrille
    Gab: @TheMentioner
    • There is no slash in "TA", unless you're from Canada.
    • Always post photos when asking questions, and learn to orient them correctly.
    • Do not start a thread that only contains a link to another site. Copy the article and tell us what's up.
    • Use the search function before starting a thread.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Dealer needs to use wiTECH Pod...really, a noninvasive procedure. You can sit there and watch. There is a code you/they will need. When they cut the emergency key for fob #2, be SURE to check its function in hatch key slot. We just faced that with a new key cut by the computer...had to be modified by copying/tracing the key in the functioning key.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

I had an automotive locksmith come to my house to do mine...but I paid. He cut the key too. I didn't want to drive 2hrs round trip to the dealer that was willing to work on Vipers. All the other Dodge dealers wanted nothing to do with a Viper (ridic).

So the local Dodge dealer in Gastonia NC was a crap shoot. They were able to program the fob. Of course they had to do the whole political process of checking in the car and taking it around back. Problem was, they said they couldn't cut the key!! Couldn't pull up the key code or some BS. They didn't have the old school trace style key cutter evidently and handed me back a blank key. You'd think a Dodge dealer could cut a Dodge key, regardless of model.

Doesn't sound like they get Vipers very often. The lady that checked me in in the service bay didn't even know what kind of car it was until she plugged up OBDii. She referred to it as "Is this your yellow car?".
    Steve
    '13 GTS, Race Yellow

"Is this your yellow car?".
    Those words must have instilled tremendous confidence. Local Dodge dealers won't look at my car. I have to drive over an hour to a dealer that's familiar with Vipers. As I said in a previous post, I just called an auto locksmith. He came to me and much to his chagrin, I hovered...watching the whole process. He was able to cut the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    I had an automotive locksmith come to my house to do mine...but I paid. He cut the key too. I didn't want to drive 2hrs round trip to the dealer that was willing to work on Vipers. All the other Dodge dealers wanted nothing to do with a Viper (ridic).
    How much the locksmith has charged you for the new key fob?

Enthusiast
    You'll need a locksmith
    Cutting is automated by their machine, programming it is done with their computer

New red viper fob is under $200 online but need to check if compatible depending on your VIN. Programming new fob and cutting valet key cut is another $200

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    If you prefer to go the DIY route with programming, I was able to ask my dealership for the 4 digit PIN code for my car and program additional fobs using AlfaOBD (https://www.alfaobd.com). Depending on where you are, you may be able to get the side cut key done for quite a bit less; there’s a lock shop in Central IL that charges about $30 to cut the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Savage View Post
    I don't know the correct answer to this, but back in the day, the dealer had to hook up one of their DRBs to program one. Otherwise, what would stop a person from getting a bunch of blanks and stealing all the cars?

They can probably do it for you in the parking lot. There shouldn't be any need to take your car into the shop.
    I probably got it programmed for $ 78 from locksmith myrtle beach near me.
    Last edited by Viper Girl; 01-14-2022 at 11:38 AM. Reason: removed link