C7 Owner Looking to be Future Viper Owner

Unfortunately I dont have a gen V viper yet, but I'm strongly considering selling my modified Vette to make that move. Always wanted a viper since a kid, but didnt really decide on making that move til I saw what Calvo and some of the other shops have done with them. Twin turbos on a completely stock engine making over 4 digits to the wheel is unheard of in almost any other car besides maybe a Lamborghini...

Anyways, hope you guys could possibly steer me in the right direction by posting some links to years of gen v vipers to avoid, what to look for, if a GTS trim is really worth the extra $$$$ over the SRT trim - just things of that nature. Or if you're willing to trade me too lol. As we all know these cars ain't cheap, and they're rising in value as the years go by and one of then being the pre 2016 viper engine bearing failures. Thanks in advance!

Heres a few pics of my vette if you were curious
    Cars a full carbon aero package widebody z51 with a Paxton blower and full exhaust on it.

Welcome.

I too have a Corvette (built C6 Z), I think it really depends on what you want to use the car for... I'm a NA guy at this point, so the C7 Z06/ZR1 didn't really appeal to me.

Used to have a c6z myself, NA is definitely a better performer than boost if you can achieve similar hp numbers.. What do you use your viper and c6z for?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

GTS Laguna models dont cost a whole lot more than an SRT on the used market. I would definately recommend it, especially considering what those options costed when new. The biggest thing in this car is if someone monitored the oil levels properly since the forged pistons burn oil before they warm up and expand. There's many instances of owners just not watching oil levels and end up damaging the bearings to the point of an engine replacement. I opted for a 2013 when I got mine since for the most part the car hasnt changed much and they were signficantly less expensive
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Mosey View Post
    Used to have a c6z myself, NA is definitely a better performer than boost if you can achieve similar hp numbers.. What do you use your viper and c6z for?
    Both are track cars. My Z will most likely be retired at this point (backup track car).

Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    GTS Laguna models dont cost a whole lot more than an SRT on the used market. I would definately recommend it, especially considering what those options costed when new. The biggest thing in this car is if someone monitored the oil levels properly since the forged pistons burn oil before they warm up and expand. There's many instances of owners just not watching oil levels and end up damaging the bearings to the point of an engine replacement. I opted for a 2013 when I got mine since for the most part the car hasnt changed much and they were signficantly less expensive
    That's crazy. Thought I did enough research on that subject. Thats why I want a '16 model is because of those bearing issues in the '13-'15 models. Didnt know it was because of people not making sure the oil levels were up. Any pointers on how I can make sure the oil levels were up to par on these cars? I'm assuming the best bet is to find a car with very low miles and owners.

Another reason is because I read the changed the 6th gear ratio to keep the car more quite and save gas on long trips. That'll help in my case since I'll be throwing long tubes and a cat back on it. Hows the sound on freeway drives for you guys with modified exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeast99 View Post
    Both are track cars. My Z will most likely be retired at this point (backup track car).
    What's the setup on your viper and hows the reliability been so far?

It's fairly recent - ACR Extreme setup for the track.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida
    There have been quite a few 2016 and 2017 engine failures also. If I was shopping again I would actually prefer a 2014 with the R28 recall that received a 10 year 100k mile warranty from the factory. The GTS is fancy but does add weight, 118lbs heavier from the lightest SRT model so it comes down to personal preference and what you're using the car for. The 2 mode suspension is one of the best options IMO, I did previously own a base 2015 SRT with single mode and the ride was a little stiff. There really is no bad year Viper to avoid IMO, good luck with the hunt!
    Venom Black Viper TA #15 ~ CM700

Quote Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
    There have been quite a few 2016 and 2017 engine failures also. If I was shopping again I would actually prefer a 2014 with the R28 recall that received a 10 year 100k mile warranty from the factory. The GTS is fancy but does add weight, 118lbs heavier from the lightest SRT model so it comes down to personal preference and what you're using the car for. The 2 mode suspension is one of the best options IMO, I did previously own a base 2015 SRT with single mode and the ride was a little stiff. There really is no bad year Viper to avoid IMO, good luck with the hunt!
    How would I verify if the recall was actually done? And can you still get the 2 mode suspension on a base srt? And is there only 2 mode options or do they have more modes as well?

Great looking C7!
    2004 SRT10 Convertible

kritchie@redhat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Mosey View Post
    Unfortunately I dont have a gen V viper yet, but I'm strongly considering selling my modified Vette to make that move. Always wanted a viper since a kid, but didnt really decide on making that move til I saw what Calvo and some of the other shops have done with them. Twin turbos on a completely stock engine making over 4 digits to the wheel is unheard of in almost any other car besides maybe a Lamborghini...

Anyways, hope you guys could possibly steer me in the right direction by posting some links to years of gen v vipers to avoid, what to look for, if a GTS trim is really worth the extra $$$$ over the SRT trim - just things of that nature. Or if you're willing to trade me too lol. As we all know these cars ain't cheap, and they're rising in value as the years go by and one of then being the pre 2016 viper engine bearing failures. Thanks in advance!

Heres a few pics of my vette if you were curious
    Cars a full carbon aero package widebody z51 with a Paxton blower and full exhaust on it.

That's a sick vette!!!
    2008 ssg vert. afr rollbar.