Thread: Tuning question

Enthusiast

Tuning question

I have an 04 with catback, 3.55's and K&N. Nothing signinficant but was wondering if getting it tuned would be of any significance... Also, any ideas of where to go if so? Live north of Chicago, close to Wisconsin. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    NOPE.

Miles On? Plugs and wires = tuneup
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

I did when I was just running boltons on my car - full exhaust, throttle body, filter and had it tuned. 25 to the wheels but the great part of the tune if the mid range since its fat from the factory....Highly recommended.

Enthusiast
    So Jon B you say no need but mamba 003 you say it helped... I did new plugs 4k miles ago but still has original wires and it car has 27k miles. Would wires make much a difference? Mamba, are you from around the Chicago area by chance?

No not in chicago. NY.... A tune can mean two things - conventional plugs, wires, oil change, blah blah blah... Cant hurt and could help a small bit. A Tune as in tuning the engine software for optimizing fuel and spark is what I am referencing....
    Last edited by Mamba003; 05-13-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper4Life View Post
    I have an 04 with catback, 3.55's and K&N. Nothing signinficant but was wondering if getting it tuned would be of any significance... Also, any ideas of where to go if so? Live north of Chicago, close to Wisconsin. Any info is appreciated. Thank you!
    the 3:55 is Significant performance vs OE, Feel like 85 HP. KNs 12HP sounds better, maybe a tad faster throttle response, but essentially insignificant. KEEP EM CLEAN!

Would a performance PCM/ECU tune be significant? If you are lucky and get +25 mid-range TQ, you did that at the expense of a leaner-hotter engine.

FACT: At one time. Mopar offered a Performance PCM for the car. Recommended prerequisites were KN filters, rocker arms, and a performance exhaust. The claimed HP was exactly the same as you would gain with KNs, rockers and the exhaust....ie nothing extra !!!!

So in my opinion, the $ cost + lean burn, is not significant enuf gain for most owners, and with YOUR MODS, NOT ''NEEDED''.
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 05-13-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Ill stick with what I said, my experience the tune was worth it and woke the car up. Throttle response was much improved as was power. At the time it was a bolt on Gen 111. Roe did the tune for me and never encountered any issue. The car was better overall with the tune. Since then Dan at Viper Specialty built my engine/car and custom tuned it and it runs without issue and zero problems for 4 years now....

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Georgia
    It made a big difference for me.

Tech Team

Supporting Vendor
    Jon-

Actually, in the case of Gen-3+, performance tune files delete a feature called the "Power Enrichment Delay Timer"; a tree-hugging feature which keeps your engine EXTREMELY lean for a period of time after throttle is applied in an attempt to reduce emissions at the expense of engine component safety. This little bullshit feature makes your line of thinking fly right out the window. A proper tune file done by a competent tuner is FAR safer than a stock tune file. As everyone knows, blower Gen-3's and tracked Gen-4's lose pistons like crazy, and Gen-3/4 have huge issues with converters.... thank a Chrysler calibrator and the EPA for that "bonus feature".

And for anyone wondering, yes... we can delete that flat out unsafe and throttle response robbing feature for you in Gen-3 applications. 2004-2006 gain the most by far. The deletion of the PE timer and the Skip Shift delete alone are worth the tuning cost, anything else is just a bonus.
    Last edited by Viper Specialty; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:41 PM.
    Dan Lesser
    Viper Specialty Performance
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

Jon. I would love to hear how a car with an intake and exhaust is going to be tuned leaner. LOL. An intake/exhaust car is going to be borderline dangerously lean on a factory tune. Any tuner that knows anything will certainly be richening the mixture.

Tech Team

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by FIVESTAR View Post
    Jon. I would love to hear how a car with an intake and exhaust is going to be tuned leaner. LOL. An intake/exhaust car is going to be borderline dangerously lean on a factory tune. Any tuner that knows anything will certainly be richening the mixture.
    Actually not. The factory tune, WOT, is insanely rich. Adding an Intake/Exhaust will help lean it out slightly, but its still going to be rich. The OE setup dumps fuel to use as chemical cooling and keep the converters from being able to absorb oxygen under WOT... its ridiculous, IMO.
    Dan Lesser
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

I’m curious to see how rich mine is with the exhaust and intake prior to the tune then.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    Actually not. The factory tune, WOT, is insanely rich. Adding an Intake/Exhaust will help lean it out slightly, but its still going to be rich. The OE setup dumps fuel to use as chemical cooling and keep the converters from being able to absorb oxygen under WOT... its ridiculous, IMO.
    Nothing like some good ol cylinder washing. How rich is insanely rich from an A/F ratio standpoint (on a gen 5)? I installed high flow cats and I get a pop between shifts now, so I thought it was some unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust => rich condition

Tech Team

Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    Nothing like some good ol cylinder washing. How rich is insanely rich from an A/F ratio standpoint (on a gen 5)? I installed high flow cats and I get a pop between shifts now, so I thought it was some unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust => rich condition
    All Vipers tend to be in the same ballpark when bone stock. At least at my elevation, the cars I have dyno'd all tended to fall in the 10.8-11.2 ballpark, pre-cat, when bone stock. Thats rich even by Forced Induction standards... let alone N/A.
    Dan Lesser
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Specialty View Post
    All Vipers tend to be in the same ballpark when bone stock. At least at my elevation, the cars I have dyno'd all tended to fall in the 10.8-11.2 ballpark, pre-cat, when bone stock. Thats rich even by Forced Induction standards... let alone N/A.
    WOW!!! Your are right. You always want to give an engine what it wants and every engine is a little different, but that is nuts. Where do you usually land after tune at WOT...north of 12.5?