Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    ViperRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    447

    GTS Exhaust Leak

    Sounded like I had an exhaust leak and I found it. I can feel the exhaust coming out. Looks like the gasket blew out. Anyone had this happen? Item needed to replace and how hard?
    8EAA1351-ABCC-4A9D-8363-C4D445E9888A.jpg
    9CD2D562-6633-4000-85A4-173680B9F7F2.jpg
    B0116931-3DD5-4CD8-B436-FF053ABAA31C.jpg
    2000 Dodge Viper GTS - Steel Gray w/factory Silver Stripes
    1999 30th Anniversary WS6 Trans Am #815 out of 1,000 / 2013 Camaro SS 1LE only 240 made
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit / 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    At mopar buying parts
    Posts
    1,672
    Looks like aftermarket headers. Will need better pics to tell more. If Belanger headers I experimented with every gasket and sealer known to mankind to get a solution to that and the final outcome was the Cometic 3-hole MLS gasket. Been running for years and no more issues.

    I think this is them. I bought em from Dan Lesser but you get the idea.

    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...907hts/5643251
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

  3. #3
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    ViperRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Looks like aftermarket headers. Will need better pics to tell more. If Belanger headers I experimented with every gasket and sealer known to mankind to get a solution to that and the final outcome was the Cometic 3-hole MLS gasket. Been running for years and no more issues.

    I think this is them. I bought em from Dan Lesser but you get the idea.

    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...907hts/5643251
    Thanks Dave! Yes these are Belanger headers, actually it’s a full Belanger system. Recommend trying these Cometic or contacting Belanger?
    2000 Dodge Viper GTS - Steel Gray w/factory Silver Stripes
    1999 30th Anniversary WS6 Trans Am #815 out of 1,000 / 2013 Camaro SS 1LE only 240 made
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit / 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    At mopar buying parts
    Posts
    1,672
    I [ ] do [x] do not recommend calling Lou and having him spend 2-1/2 hours explaining to you why the headers are designed the way they are and why if you don't follow his assembly procedure to the most minute detail they will leak. You're already out of his compliance because you're supposed to just use RTV there. That looks like a solid aluminum gasket. You I tried those too. Yes with similar results.
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

  5. #5
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Crossroads of America
    1BADV10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    185
    In my personal experiences, Cometic gaskets are absolutely the best for high performance applications. Our local machine shop specializes in supercharged motors and only uses Cometic.
    Last edited by 1BADV10; 5 Days Ago at 05:40 AM.
    1968 Plymouth GTX 440 super commando, auto, a/c
    1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 452cid BDS 871 Blower 900hp, 4-speed
    1997 Dodge Viper RT/10 smooth tubes, borla exhaust (1 of 64 in red, 117 total in 1997)

  6. #6
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    ViperRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    I [ ] do [x] do not recommend calling Lou and having him spend 2-1/2 hours explaining to you why the headers are designed the way they are and why if you don't follow his assembly procedure to the most minute detail they will leak. You're already out of his compliance because you're supposed to just use RTV there. That looks like a solid aluminum gasket. You I tried those too. Yes with similar results.
    Thanks again Dave, I am sorry for my ignorance, but I am not sure who Lou is, I am assuming someone at Belanger.....I can't imagine using RVT for that spot..... If you say those Cometic gaskets are the way to go, and have worked for you, I trust you. Is that link for the "Exact" ones I would need to purchase, size, etc.
    Thank you again

    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADV10 View Post
    In my personal experiences, Cometic gaskets are absolutely the best for high performance applications. Are local machine shop specializes in supercharged motors and only uses Cometic.
    Thanks for the feedback, great to know!!

    If you have replaced yours, how hard was it/how long was the process?

    Thanks!
    2000 Dodge Viper GTS - Steel Gray w/factory Silver Stripes
    1999 30th Anniversary WS6 Trans Am #815 out of 1,000 / 2013 Camaro SS 1LE only 240 made
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit / 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    At mopar buying parts
    Posts
    1,672
    Lou... is Lou Belanger.

    Once you get the exhaust side cover off and the heat shield above it off and the collector joint apart take a few measurements and compare them to the gasket specs. I think that gasket I linked to is correct. I bought them from Viper Specialty Performance and what I have in my notes is: 3" 3-Bolt MLS Exhaust Turnout Gasket 3.875 Bolt Circle. Which appears to match what I linked to.

    On the smaller flanges the red hi-temp RTV still works good. It's just that bigger one that is a pain.

    Another thing to check is the gasket of the header to the head. Belanger supplies the headers with a grey fiber gasket which will get hard and brittle and leak. Should be easy to spot. The factory MLS gasket is much better and looks like shiny metal. If you do find the Belanger gasket put the Gen 3 MLS gaskets in as they are 4 layers instead of 2. They have to be cut but I did them on my car it's easy.

    Picture 155.jpg

    Picture 164.jpg

    Picture 165.jpg

    Picture 166.jpg
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    At mopar buying parts
    Posts
    1,672
    Layer difference.

    Picture 167.jpg

    Picture 168.jpg
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

  9. #9
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    ViperRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Lou... is Lou Belanger.

    Once you get the exhaust side cover off and the heat shield above it off and the collector joint apart take a few measurements and compare them to the gasket specs. I think that gasket I linked to is correct. I bought them from Viper Specialty Performance and what I have in my notes is: 3" 3-Bolt MLS Exhaust Turnout Gasket 3.875 Bolt Circle. Which appears to match what I linked to.

    On the smaller flanges the red hi-temp RTV still works good. It's just that bigger one that is a pain.

    Another thing to check is the gasket of the header to the head. Belanger supplies the headers with a grey fiber gasket which will get hard and brittle and leak. Should be easy to spot. The factory MLS gasket is much better and looks like shiny metal. If you do find the Belanger gasket put the Gen 3 MLS gaskets in as they are 4 layers instead of 2. They have to be cut but I did them on my car it's easy.
    Thanks Dave, Yes that is what you provided in the link. "Collector Gasket; 3-Bolt; 3.0 Inch In Diameter; 3.875 Inch Bolt Circle; SSC Material; Cometic Gasket Includes Exhaust Gaskets are designed to be used with manifolds or headers. Offered in a range of materials to make sure you are covered with any cylinder head and manifold/header combination. All exhaust gaskets are designed to be used without the use of messy sealants."

    Surprised more Viper guys haven't chimed in with this issue.
    2000 Dodge Viper GTS - Steel Gray w/factory Silver Stripes
    1999 30th Anniversary WS6 Trans Am #815 out of 1,000 / 2013 Camaro SS 1LE only 240 made
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit / 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    At mopar buying parts
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperRyan View Post
    Surprised more Viper guys haven't chimed in with this issue.
    That's because only a few Viper owners are actually car guys. Very few. The rest spend their time aimlessly pulling off any factory part they can find that has an aftermarket replacement all the while blurting the word upgrade like the factory engineers were all stupid, or posting on fb about how Viper values went up 1% last year based on a single car auction bought by some drunk guy that didn't even know what a Viper was before last Tuesday.

    Sorry. I guess I could have just summarized with I'm a car guy.

    Good luck with your repairs.
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

  11. #11
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    ViperRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    That's because only a few Viper owners are actually car guys. Very few. The rest spend their time aimlessly pulling off any factory part they can find that has an aftermarket replacement all the while blurting the word upgrade like the factory engineers were all stupid, or posting on fb about how Viper values went up 1% last year based on a single car auction bought by some drunk guy that didn't even know what a Viper was before last Tuesday.

    Sorry. I guess I could have just summarized with I'm a car guy.

    Good luck with your repairs.
    How do you really feel hahaha.

    Thanks for your help Dave, really appreciated! I plan to grab those gaskets and get to work. Any other tips you can provide since you've done this already?
    2000 Dodge Viper GTS - Steel Gray w/factory Silver Stripes
    1999 30th Anniversary WS6 Trans Am #815 out of 1,000 / 2013 Camaro SS 1LE only 240 made
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit / 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition

  12. #12
    Scott Grayson
    VOA Forums Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Web Site Committee
    Moderator
    Tech Team
    City's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Nu Yawk
    Posts
    2,729
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    That's because only a few Viper owners are actually car guys. Very few. The rest spend their time aimlessly pulling off any factory part they can find that has an aftermarket replacement all the while blurting the word upgrade like the factory engineers were all stupid, or posting on fb about how Viper values went up 1% last year based on a single car auction bought by some drunk guy that didn't even know what a Viper was before last Tuesday.

    Sorry. I guess I could have just summarized with I'm a car guy.

    Good luck with your repairs.
    You've earned a pass Dave with all this solid knowledge! Even your criticism has become "mindful" and articulate! I agree wholeheartedly with the "factory engineers" comment.

    Who is this really?
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2014 SRT8 JGC Closed Roof (Gone and missed)
    2018 Range Rover Sport Dynamic
    Resident Misanthrope

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    That's because only a few Viper owners are actually car guys. Very few. The rest spend their time aimlessly pulling off any factory part they can find that has an aftermarket replacement all the while blurting the word upgrade like the factory engineers were all stupid, or posting on fb about how Viper values went up 1% last year based on a single car auction bought by some drunk guy that didn't even know what a Viper was before last Tuesday.

    Sorry. I guess I could have just summarized with I'm a car guy.
    +1. Glad you got it off my chest.

    The factory products have real warranties and a lot of R&D testing done by them or their suppliers while many of the aftermarket products can be way too theoretical with useless to no warranties.
    Last edited by AviP; 1 Week Ago at 09:07 AM.
    97 Viper GTS --- 99 YZF R1 --- 00 R1100 RT --- 01 Bullet C500 --- 07 Ram 1500 MegaCab --- 13 Outback 3.6R

  14. #14
    Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    SNKEBIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    357
    Check the flange for warpage. I have had to fix many sets of Bellangers with warped flanges. Hence the reason for red RTV high temp.
    Sublime Pearl ACRRRR
    M&M Performance

  15. #15
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    ViperRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKEBIT View Post
    Check the flange for warpage. I have had to fix many sets of Bellangers with warped flanges. Hence the reason for red RTV high temp.
    I plan to get under the car here this weekend or next and do this. I am going to buy the gaskets, but maybe should also grab some RVT? What brand/type you recommend?
    2000 Dodge Viper GTS - Steel Gray w/factory Silver Stripes
    1999 30th Anniversary WS6 Trans Am #815 out of 1,000 / 2013 Camaro SS 1LE only 240 made
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit / 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition

  16. #16
    Thoughts on the RTV for the slip fit connections? That overkill or worth it?

  17. #17
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    LifeIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Viper Drive, AZ
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperRyan View Post
    What brand/type you recommend?
    I was told by Lou Belanger to use something that stated O2 Sensor Safe. This is the newest version of what I used...

    Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

    81878.png

    OEM specified. For high operating temperatures common in 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines. The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Temperature range -65°F to 700°F (-54°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.
    2001 VRY RT/10

  18. #18
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    ViperRyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsGood View Post
    I was told by Lou Belanger to use something that stated O2 Sensor Safe. This is the newest version of what I used...

    Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

    81878.png
    Haven't used this stuff before, never needed to. Would it make sense to buy the new Cometic Gaskets, put a thin coat of this stuff on each side and then install into exhaust? Or not bother since these new gaskets shouldn't have any issues....

    Appreciate all the great input on here!
    2000 Dodge Viper GTS - Steel Gray w/factory Silver Stripes
    1999 30th Anniversary WS6 Trans Am #815 out of 1,000 / 2013 Camaro SS 1LE only 240 made
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit / 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas Edition

  19. #19
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    LifeIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Viper Drive, AZ
    Posts
    699
    I didn't use this on the headers. I used it between the primary tubes and the collectors and between the collectors and the turn-outs.
    2001 VRY RT/10


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •