Enthusiast

Home lift suggestions

I'm considering buying a 4 post lift for my home garage. Suggestions please on what makes and models you have at your home. I'll be using it for light work, such as exhaust, engine oil change, other fluid changes. TIA

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    Backyard buddy is what I have. Love it. I know they are a little on the higher side as far as price goes but they are well worth the money.
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    I own three of these, Lift Link
    92775DAF-CF6F-4586-91EC-7B2DEA30F979.jpeg

My ceiling is 9'6" (9.5ft). The lift runway is 4.3" tall, and perfect fit for the rear of the Viper. I had to raise the garage door tracks 18" and added another panel to the top of the garage door to gain needed clearance so it didn't open up hitting the car(s). When the garage door is closed , there is another panel not exposed that is behind the header inside the garage.
    Last edited by LATAMUD; 6 Days Ago at 12:29 AM.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Lots of threads and discussions on this board. You’ll learn a lot more quickly if you search. Do that and then come back with specific questions

I’ve got a Direct Lift
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    What's the ceiling height in your garages, if I may ask, respective to your lift? I would LOVE to do this!
    2004 Dodge Viper "Mamba" #184 of 200. Corsa Exhaust. 3.55 gears. Short Shifter. Skip Shift. Autoform Hard Top. More to come...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    DirectLift
    2001 VRY RT/10

Mines from Greg Smith Equipment.

10ft or higher garage ceiling is preferred for parking two sports cars. I’ve made do (at my previous home) with 8’10” height but it was extremely tight.
    Roe powered GTS

Enthusiast
    I have a 9' ceiling. TY

Enthusiast
    I have a 9' ceiling.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Alabama/Tennessee
    It is do-able with the 9Ft, but you should look at opening up the ceiling so the top of the car can be recessed into when lifted. Or, just mark the lift with maximum height given your 9ft restriction.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    It is do-able with the 9Ft, but you should look at opening up the ceiling so the top of the car can be recessed into when lifted. Or, just mark the lift with maximum height given your 9ft restriction.
    There are two bedrooms above my garage. Lol. So... Gotcha. I'll measure tonight and see what works. Gotta make room for the Gen5...
    2004 Dodge Viper "Mamba" #184 of 200. Corsa Exhaust. 3.55 gears. Short Shifter. Skip Shift. Autoform Hard Top. More to come...

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    ACR-ISH, there IS hope as long as you are CAREFUL.

Our ceiling is 103 inches...and, I refused to modify the garage for several reasons. The 4 post lift was built to my specs and delivered assembled from Kansas to Indy on a stake bed truck, rolled into place by the factory team. It allows me to have two coupes stacked...with about an inch or two clearance. It requires me to sit on a rolling stool to do service. I fly around underneath without serious injury since I wear a bicycle helmet (not kidding here). It is great for servicing fluids, though I do move Vipers over to a mid-rise lift in the next bay for wheel/brake work.

If you want to try this, DO NOT RELY on electric switches as a stop at the top. Use LARGE, grade 8 pins through all four posts to guarantee that your lift stops at the top before you crush a car's roof into the garage ceiling.

By the way, the reference to "coupes" means and combo above or below from a mix of 3 three Gen II's, one Gen IV, and one Gen V...."It's all good".

I hope this not only helps, but gives you encouragement as well !!
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Crossroads of America
    I have two 4-post lifts from Greg Smith Equipment, great people to deal with. One is an Atlas garage pro 8000 and the other is an Atlas garage pro 9000. The 8000 is perfect for light use or car storage and the Viper drives on with no ramp extensions. The 9000 is built heavy duty its taller so I need ramp extensions to get Viper on it and its wide with large cables for more work load. I have a Dodge 3/4 ton 4 door with 6" lift and 35" tires and fits on it perfectly. My garage ceiling ht is 12' 3" so no restrictions, I would suggest the pro 8000 for your situation it would fit great in smaller garages or low ceilings plus it sets low so no need for ramp extensions.
    1968 Plymouth GTX 440 super commando, auto, a/c
    1969 Dodge Coronet R/T 452cid BDS 871 Blower 900hp, 4-speed
    1997 Dodge Viper RT/10 smooth tubes, borla exhaust (1 of 64 in red, 117 total in 1997)

Enthusiast
    Thanks everyone...anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Our ceiling is 103 inches..
    That's impressive!
    2004 SRT10 Convertible

kritchie@redhat.com

i went with american car lifts 9000lb , $3200 delivered, $500 to set it up. i have 14 foot ceilings and side mount garage openers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 ACR Stryker Purple With GTS Billet Stripes,,,, , 2014 White Grand Cherokee SRT-8 ,2019 Challenger, Plum Crazy Purple ,,, HELLCAT REDEYE,,,,, wide body on order !!!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    My Bendpak HD9-SW 2 car lift. 11' ceiling, side mounted opener with extended tracks. About $9000 installed.
    20180331_161526 (1).jpg
    Last edited by PittsburghRT; 5 Days Ago at 07:22 AM.
    2001 Viper GTS Bumble Bee
    ROE Supercharged

Not to hyjack but have any of you moved your 4 post lifts? I have one in a storage unit I rent. My new house has a 3rd bay garage with 9.5 ceiling that I want to move the lift to. Got a quote from a company to move it for almost $2,000! That's what I paid for the dang thing to start with.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    I moved a 4 post when I moved some years back. I used a flat bed trailer and parked it under the lift with the lift raised. I lowered the lift to the trailer and then using tie downs lifted each post to provide ground clearance. I only drove it about 5 miles but it was fine.

Enthusiast
    Jeeze. For a "Home Lift" I jumped on the group buy we did 10 yrs ago or so through Complete Hydraulics for $1400 plus shipping. I think shipping via R&L to the local warehouse was $400. I installed alone, unafraid, and by myself (carefully) without any issue. I got the 220v version. Been rock solid and I use it ALOT!

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Around Indy, friends have had lifts moved from one place to another for $500.00...including disassembly and reassembly.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Around Indy, friends have had lifts moved from one place to another for $500.00...including disassembly and reassembly.
    I moved mine from St. Louis to Nashville and then again from Nashville to Chattanooga. I backed a 16’ trailer under the rails, disassembled it into the trailer and then reversed the process at the destination.
    Roe powered GTS

Quote Originally Posted by rch105 View Post
    I have a 9' ceiling.
    With only 9’ you will have to pair the Viper with another very low profile car. Here’s my Gen II GTS with a C5 Vette in the 8’10” garage. There was just barely enough room to disengage the latches with these 2 cars. 8’9” probably wouldn’t have worked.

Roe powered GTS

I have 2 Direct Lifts. Very happy with them - one is almost 15yrs old now. I have had a couple of close calls over the years, but each time was completely due to operator error.

Probably the worst was when I was lowering a lift and forgot the car was in neutral with the parking brake off and no wheels chocks. It almost rolled off the lift as the lift was coming down, which shifted the weight balance to such a degree that it caused the lift to get trapped between locks and yet nothing happened (I've seen similar situations where side posts buckled and bent)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Challenger Lift. I have a 10 ft. ceiling and both toys fit nicely. Had to raise the garage door up by 1 ft. just to have a little extra clearance. And yes, I know that my garage is messy.

IMG_5865.jpg
    2001 "The Bee" ACR, Borla, Paxton SC, Ipsco STS, 3.55's
    2008 “The Bull” Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, V-10, Fabspeed, e-gear
    Past: 1995 & 2001 RT/10's; 2003 Vert (gone but not forgotten)