VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming

Gen 5 SWII Wheels in Black

Removing brake dust from a set of SWIIs that have been tracked is darn near impossible. I have tried a lot of different products including some that have been recommended on here. I believe the wheels are painted from the factory and not powder coated. At this point I will have to get them refinished. Does anyone know if powder coating would hold up to brake dust better than the factory finish?

The ACR wheels are easier to clean than the SWIIs but I usually track with the SWIIs because of tire selection.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

I recommend getting them refinished and then ceramic coated if you haven't done that yet. The brake dust rinses right off with water with a good ceramic coating.
    2017 1 of 1 Rosso Fuoco Viper GTC w/ Sepia Laguna leather interior | int & ext carbon
    [previous] 2013 Adrenaline Red SRT Viper GTS w/ Sepia Laguna leather interior

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida
    Sonax, pressure washer, then blow dry. Easiest wheels to clean ever. Takes 2 minutes to clean all 4 wheels not counting the Sonax soak time. I must have tried at least 10 other wheel cleaners first, threw them all out.
    Black Viper TA #15 ~ Arrow Stage I ~ 11.1@129

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Alabama/Tennessee
    6 spokes for the win.....................

6 spokes.jpg

Cleaning made easy................
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Member
    since 2019
    South Florida
    And as much as I love the ACR/TA concept, I could not go without the CCB's at this point in my life for this exact reason. You know what they say..... once you go CCB, you never go back

Ceramic coating is a great option. Im doing my wheels soon.

BDP Cleaner is the best I have ever used.
    Last edited by sadil; 6 Days Ago at 08:35 PM.
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by sadil View Post
    Ceramic coating is a great option. I’m doing my wheels soon.

BDP Cleaner is the best I have ever used.
    Thanks but I've tried BDP and it doesn't remove the brake dust. I am using racing pads so maybe dust from them is more aggressive. I have Sonax on order. Should have it tomorrow.

I will ceramic coat the wheels after they are refinished. However, I still would like to know whether powder coating will hold up better than paint.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

It absolutely will, texture on the powder will make a difference as well... you want it as smooth as possible

If the paint is clear coated not sure powder coating would do any better... i suspect the heat of the micro particles is very hot coming off the pads and cooking through finish.. not sure how to address this as cleaning wheels after each session might tempature shock them (and brakes) with even worse results. Maybe a high temp finish would help? You might consider reaching out to a coating manf for recommendations... PPG etc.

This might be worth a try. I've been looking for something for my DD. This was recommended to me just recently. I've not tried it myself YET as the "less than one minute" raised my brow but a lot of thumbs up from the detail world.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...than-1-minute/

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by TP_ GTS View Post
    This might be worth a try. I've been looking for something for my DD. This was recommended to me just recently. I've not tried it myself YET as the "less than one minute" raised my brow but a lot of thumbs up from the detail world.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...than-1-minute/
    I've used that stuff, I even bought it from the person's blog you quoted when he was running a detailing business in my area. Results were just ok for street driving and then after my first track day the heat had cooked any protection off and didn't help at all.

I think we're just asking too much of these coatings to do anything meaningful to the heat and higher contaminants that come from racing pads.
    2014 SRT Viper - White TA #9, Arrow PCM, AR Headers, UDP
    2013 SRT Viper - Red Track Pack (Sold)

Street and Track heat are on a different plane of reference all together. The ceramic coating would help but even then, I think you are looking at significant degradation due to heat and washing consistently. I would ceramic coat and experiment by leaving the wheels alone and washing a couple hours later to see the result. I think you will need repetitive application over time but results could be better then I expect. I will be ceramic coating my wheels but I’m not tracking much. Curious on results.
    2017 Venom Black TA 1.0

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    not sure how to address this as cleaning wheels after each session might tempature shock them (and brakes) with even worse results.
    I dont think there is anyone that cleans their wheels after a session. It will get just as dirty for the next 20+ minute session. Also, more importantly, its hot as fuck. The hottest areas of the car after a track session are the exhaust, brake rotors and inside the engine bay.

Another vote for ceramic coating. Brake dust washes right off my SW II wheels. Make sure you use a coating meant for wheels and calipers.
    14' GTS - SRT Hood/Laguna and Carbon interior/Carbon Aero/18 Speaker/Hyper Sidewinders.

Quote Originally Posted by serpent View Post
    I dont think there is anyone that cleans their wheels after a session. It will get just as dirty for the next 20+ minute session. Also, more importantly, its hot as fuck. The hottest areas of the car after a track session are the exhaust, brake rotors and inside the engine bay.
    Agreed,
    That was my point exactly...