VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Minnesota

Pilot Super Sport life expectancy

Howdy,

I know they aren't super popular at the track. I was wondering what the "safe age" of the super sports are for track driving. I haven't put a terrible amount of wear on them, but I am going to the track. Considering the cost of a set of r888r's after labor and whatnot, I wasn't sure if replacing them now was just shredding money. I'm at the 5 year mark I believe.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Likely ok but you will be needing new ones by the time you get home, ha,ha.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

Ed Massena
    VOA National Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Howdy,

I know they aren't super popular at the track. I was wondering what the "safe age" of the super sports are for track driving. I haven't put a terrible amount of wear on them, but I am going to the track. Considering the cost of a set of r888r's after labor and whatnot, I wasn't sure if replacing them now was just shredding money. I'm at the 5 year mark I believe.
    Always depends on the circumstances and how hard you're going to drive them.
    As long as the weather is warm and you're not going to be pushing yourself they should be acceptable at 5 years, but don't expect too much more than that.

Make sure you get them warm over your first couple laps (each session), and if they start to feel 'greasy' or unpredictable at the end of a 20 minute session, ease off... I remember my PSS getting past the usable amount of heat towards the end of sessions.
    NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Likely ok but you will be needing new ones by the time you get home, ha,ha.
    Ha! You've seen me drive, if I can remove the tread on them without flatsiding them I would consider that a major victory!

Quote Originally Posted by SlateEd View Post
    As long as the weather is warm and you're not going to be pushing yourself they should be acceptable at 5 years, but don't expect too much more than that.

Make sure you get them warm over your first couple laps (each session), and if they start to feel 'greasy' or unpredictable at the end of a 20 minute session, ease off... I remember my PSS getting past the usable amount of heat towards the end of sessions.
    Your choice in wording has convinced me to put in the order, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they get in on time. I'm very timid, but I've been sticking my neck out more. I'd hate to be quickly rewarded with a slap to the face... by a tire wall.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    THIS BELOW, and Ill add: "how much control and safety do you want?" Why?

'Out Of Sight' are your inner sidewalls. Those sidewalls are exposed to constant brake rotor heat, from 150 - 1100f degrees between street driving and track driving. Those hot rotors are BROILING your inner sidewalls, unseen, while you you probably clean and dress the outer sidewalls with every wash / detail you do!

I think at recent Viper events if your tires are 6+ years old, you get to watch.........

Quote Originally Posted by SlateEd View Post

Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Ed Massena
    VOA National Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post

I think at recent Viper events if your tires are 6+ years old, you get to watch.........
    True story - NVE4 track preparation is underway and tires that are 6+ will be parade laps only (assuming we have time for parade laps :-)

Ed Massena
    VOA National Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Ha! You've seen me drive, if I can remove the tread on them without flatsiding them I would consider that a major victory!

Your choice in wording has convinced me to put in the order, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they get in on time. I'm very timid, but I've been sticking my neck out more. I'd hate to be quickly rewarded with a slap to the face... by a tire wall.
    I didn't mean to scare or push, but certainly fresh tires are always a good decision. Keep tracking and learning and having fun!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Keep in mind that the 888rs are listed for track or autocross only by Toyo. This should be noted even though there are quite few folks running them on the street, because you need to be aware they are sketchy in the rain and will not last long for street use. If you are going to just attend a few track events you but plan on spending the majority of time on the street you may want to consider something other than the Toyos?
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    You'll be fine, but will be really slow lol. The less grip a tire has, the car will be spinning on you at a much lower speed than grippier tires. If you want to do the Viper some justice get some new tires or get smoked by Miata's
    Like Jon B said, years of heat can cause cracks etc, if you run them at least take them off and inspect them and rotate if needed.
    2013 caged 9.0 liter, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10, 2018 AMG GTR, 2005 Ford GT, 2019 Megacab Dually

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    You'll be fine, but will be really slow lol. The less grip a tire has, the car will be spinning on you at a much lower speed than grippier tires. If you want to do the Viper some justice get some new tires or get smoked by Miata's
    Like Jon B said, years of heat can cause cracks etc, if you run them at least take them off and inspect them and rotate if needed.
    I still have the original Michelin Pilot SSs on my 4600 mile 2011 Z06. They have always been garaged (no uv) and they LOOK great, BUT they are as hard as rocks. One good thing is you feel like you have 1000 hp - light up the tires in any gear at any time. LOL I would sure hate to take them on track though! Like Cable says, you would be spectacularly slow.

Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

I love Super Sports. Fun tire IMO. I would run them til the cords shown through. Great for car control practice!!