Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My wife drives a Challenger. So yes we have one but let’s not try to even put these anywhere even close to the Viper. Just cause you can get some HP doesn’t mean jack shit. You can that with a rice burner and that doesn’t make it any more exciting. It’s still just a rice burner

They have run out of doing things with the Challenger and it’s really sad that this is ‘the platform’ for Dodge. It’s like fast and furious #9......really, enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    You forgot one.......
    Putting Lipstick on a Pig.....lol !
    I believe Bob Lutz was quoted as saying that....
    You sir have been promoted to the head of Marketing at Dodge.

Here is a tantrum for the outgoing head of Marketing...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4E51&FORM=VIRE

All in good fun....All in good fun....

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth78 View Post
    If you really just wanted an insanely fast car without fancy trim you could buy a "base" Redeye for around $69K and then all in making 1,000HP for under $80K.
    Insanely fast in a straight line...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Angleiron View Post
    Insanely fast in a straight line...
    Much larger demographic than road course participants (unfortunately)

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    I would love to see the Viper make a comeback as the fastest American made straight line/track car ever. Guess I'm going to have to be patient. Nothing in the wind but we can always hope.
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.

Ed Massena
    VOA National Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Some interesting points in here about Higher-Spec LX cars... The fact is, they present the same value proposition as the Viper to a different shopper.

Take the Charger.... The Hellcat Charger doesn't compete with other full-sized sedans in it's price range (aren't many anyway). The Audi RS-7 and the E63 AMG are what you cross-shop with a Hellcat Charger. Don't tell me about luxury and 'not even in the same league'... I know that. But it's the same argument we've been making for years about the Viper vs. Porsche vs. Lambo. You spend 1/2 the money, and get all of the performance with less luxury and refinement. And you drive it proudly because it fits a certain attitude, and you have a chip on your shoulder about it being 'better' than those German competitors because of the price and etc. etc. etc..... Dodge / SRT has a certain niche within performance cars.

So the real question is, if Viper comes back in some future version, should it again fill the niche of 1/3 priced Ferrari despite being similarly rare? Or should it step up in price category to be like the FGT and try to wear a different attitude? I've said it every time this topic comes up, and I know many of us won't like it, but I think the marque makes sense as a $350K car that shares NOTHING with the parts-bin at Dodge.
    Last edited by SlateEd; 06-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Just rambling thoughts about MOTIVE

Viper was a Halo Car that fulfilled its mission. Not with profit, but with image.

FCA now has a veritable HOST of angel-cars, and marketing the heavens about its MUSCLE.

What would be the "need" or motive to resurrect the Viper now? Or in 2021? [Maybe when muscle dries up!?]

Or maybe it comes out like a BMW I-8 hybrid supercar? Launching the technology for FCA? [Right now, well-behind Jaguar, VW, Audi.....]

Our spine-tingling V-10 is ancient Hisssstory

Im looking forward to driving the Jaguar E-Pace electric Pace Car (I-Pace?) at Trans-Am race next month......will report
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 06-12-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

What would be the "need" or motive to resurrect the Viper now? Or in 2021? [Maybe when muscle dries up!?]

With the new Le Mans movie coming out and it exposing how Carrol Shelby beat the Europeans to a whole new younger market, the motive to sell a domestic "sports car" should be the USA against the world. We can do it better for less. We can beat them at their own game. We can create the technology if needed. We can create a look that survives style changes for many years to come. The USA had the ability to do this. A most recent example is the new Ford GT.

In my opinion every major manufacturer needs some sort of halo car....it should not be profit driven. It should show what the company is capable of. Halo cars need great marketing. Halo cars need to be unique and hard to get. Creating demand and world exposure is key.

Unfortunately I don't think Dodge has what it takes to create the marketing buzz necessary to pull off a halo car, regardless of how good it is. The launch of the Gen 5 Viper is perfect proof of this.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    New Jersey
    I LOVE the Dodge Viper! Hands down the most incredible piece of machinery I've ever driven! Combination of PRICE-DURABILITY-PERFORMANCE-LOOKS: it NAILED everything IMO with the culmination of the GEN V!
    I've owned almost every make of sports car in my 40 years of driving, and NOTHING captured my SOUL like the Viper! HOWEVER-the days of "that type" of car are now ending-SUCKS!!!! I will be driving my Vipers as much as I can and enjoying every mile-I wish it could have endured another couple years -but the automotive climate did not favor the Viper and its DNA!
    The Viper we all knew and loved is gone forever! If the VIPER name would be resurrected - I think SLATE ED nailed it! Initially it should be a high watermark type of car that has all the best tech and performance that is cutting edge-than the powers that be could possibly figure out a plan to market it at a variety of price and performance levels! It would need to appeal to the people SRT thought the GEN V would appeal to-but initially it needs to be like
    the FGT-people need to be OVERWHELMED-I just dont see FCA and Dodge doing what needs to be done-or really giving a shit quite honestly! If they are unwilling to make it over the top again with all the cutting edge bells and whistles-than let it RIP as the most awesome American hand built sports car of its time! JUST SAYIN-its going to need TIME and MONEY to develope properly- given FCA's stable of brands and vehicles does anyone really see that happening?!

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post

With the new Le Mans movie coming out and it exposing how Carrol Shelby beat the Europeans to a whole new younger market, the motive to sell a domestic "sports car" should be the USA against the world. We can do it better for less. We can beat them at their own game. We can create the technology if needed. We can create a look that survives style changes for many years to come. The USA had the ability to do this. A most recent example is the new Ford GT.

In my opinion every major manufacturer needs some sort of halo car....it should not be profit driven. It should show what the company is capable of. Halo cars need great marketing. Halo cars need to be unique and hard to get. Creating demand and world exposure is key.

Unfortunately I don't think Dodge has what it takes to create the marketing buzz necessary to pull off a halo car, regardless of how good it is. The launch of the Gen 5 Viper is perfect proof of this.
    That might be true...but that's what everyone thought back in the late '80s...then came the Viper concept car in 1989.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
    That might be true...but that's what everyone thought back in the late '80s...then came the Viper concept car in 1989.
    And Dodge nailed it with the marketing on the first Gen Viper....that's all everybody was talking about. It was the "bad boy" of the automotive world, people couldn't wait to give Dodge their money just based on pictures and specs. The Gen 1 Viper is what literally caused GM to get off their ass and design a new Vette model (C4 ZR1) and keep improving they generations to keep up with the Snake.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Just rambling thoughts about MOTIVE

Viper was a Halo Car that fulfilled its mission. Not with profit, but with image.

FCA now has a veritable HOST of angel-cars, and marketing the heavens about its MUSCLE.

Or maybe it comes out like a BMW I-8 hybrid supercar? Launching the technology for FCA? [Right now, well-behind Jaguar, VW, Audi.....]

Our spine-tingling V-10 is ancient Hisssstory

Im looking forward to driving the Jaguar E-Pace electric Pace Car (I-Pace?) at Trans-Am race next month......will report
    And you have excellently pointed out the future. Jag has the E Pace. In about a month, the XJ will be revealed as all electric. After that, the F-type replacement (electric) will create a whole new level of performance. It is just a reality now.

And Dodge nailed it with the marketing on the first Gen Viper....that's all everybody was talking about. It was the "bad boy" of the automotive world, people couldn't wait to give Dodge their money just based on pictures and specs. The Gen 1 Viper is what literally caused GM to get off their ass and design a new Vette model (C4 ZR1) and keep improving they generations to keep up with the Snake.
    I don't think so but could be wrong. ZR1 engine was in mule cars in the mid 80s. The Viper is not responsible for the C4 ZR1. It even came out before the Viper
    Last edited by StrokerAce; 06-12-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesax View Post
    I LOVE the Dodge Viper! Hands down the most incredible piece of machinery I've ever driven! Combination of PRICE-DURABILITY-PERFORMANCE-LOOKS: it NAILED everything IMO with the culmination of the GEN V! I've owned almost every make of sports car in my 40 years of driving, and NOTHING captured my SOUL like the Viper!
    I agree whole heartedly. Also owned many, many sports cars and I'm back in a Viper for a reason: It's just better. We go to the local Cars and Coffee and steal the thunder (literally) of all the Euro supercars and I think the main reason is that the Viper is just more rare. You don't see them often in my area. The Euro car owners don't really like it much, but they chose to buy a car that is seen frequently and has no performance edge over the Viper which costs far less. Would I like to see a Gen6 Viper? Absolutely! I was so disappointed with SRT pulled the Viper from IMSA competition right after they won the championship because I knew the street car at that point would have a limited lifespan. I think there could be a chance that FCA might want to come back to racing at some point and if so, the Viper is the clear choice of track weapon. The US auto manufacturers need the Viper to continue in my opinion in order to remain on the cutting edge of sports car technology. The Corvette and GT40 can't do it alone forever...

Until that day comes, I'll be enjoying the heck out of mine as much as possible.
    Blake

2016 Viper GTC 1 of 1 Prefix Arrow 9.0

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar

There is a new book coming out this Fall by THAT MARKETING GUY !! The story of Team Viper, by Jason Vines. The tentative / probable name of the book: "BITTEN"

" a fact-based and predominantly hilarious tale of a group of volunteers that formed a team that developed a product that actually made little if any money, BUT SAVED A COMPANY on the brink of extinction. "

Have 40 minutes to be dazzeled by some excerpts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ohJxmObOfk

[I should probably make his post its own thread..............? ]
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 06-13-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    The Viper saved the company but the bean counters decided it would not continue and save the Viper. Really crappy of Chrysler. Like it has been said if the Gen 5 would of been marketed properly they would of sold the number of cars they needed to be profitable. People need to know the car exists if you want them to buy it. They need a Halo car and as cool as the Challengers and Chargers are they are not Halo cars. Hoping that there is a Gen 6 and it is just so much under wraps that there are no leaks and it appears at the auto show in the near future. Fingers Crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    There is a new book coming out this Fall by THAT MARKETING GUY !! The story of Team Viper, by Jason Vines. The tentative / probable name of the book: "BITTEN"

" a fact-based and predominantly hilarious tale of a group of volunteers that formed a team that developed a product that actually made little if any money, BUT SAVED A COMPANY on the brink of extinction. "

Have 40 minutes to be dazzeled by some excerpts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ohJxmObOfk

[I should probably make his post its own thread..............? ]
    2014 Viper SRT-GT stryker green,2006 Viper SRT10 red vert,2015 Viper GT competition blue/silver stripes,2015 Dodge Charger RT,2017 Ram 2500 Laramie crew cab 4x4
    Previous Vipers 1994 RT10 black,2006 Viper SRT10 blue/silver stripes, 2008 Viper SRT10 black/gray stripes

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by photog1 View Post
    the viper saved the company but the bean counters decided it would not continue and save the viper. Really crappy of chrysler. Like it has been said if the gen 5 would of been marketed properly they would of sold the number of cars they needed to be profitable. People need to know the car exists if you want them to buy it. They need a halo car and as cool as the challengers and chargers are they are not halo cars. Hoping that there is a gen 6 and it is just so much under wraps that there are no leaks and it appears at the auto show in the near future. fingers crossed!
    /\ /\ /\ x2

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America
    comparing the Challenger and Charger to a Viper is like comparing a Caravan to a Ram. The Viper is a unique car for the Dodge brand and was the halo car for a reason. It is truly the only track car they designed as the rest of the SRT fleet is geared more for straight line performance. The Demon is a technological marvel in my eyes as no other 4000 lb plus car with even 1000 HP is no match for the car on the strip. I embrace what Dodge has done with the brand, well minus the Viper. A true halo car does not seem to be on their radar for the near future. Over the course of 25 years and 34,000 units, it is hardly a big money maker but does create sales for other brands. Vendors don't have a lot of interest in parts for that small of units being created with a car in the 100k price range. The last of the V-10(big cubic inches) manual shift cars is at and end I fear. Cherish what you have.

Bruce
    2009 ACR GTS Blue with Black stripes (1 of 2)
    MoparGarage.net
    Mopar Knights FB page

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    WV/PA
    2010 VoooDoo

One of the original 100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12