Highest mileage Viper

So I bought my 96 last year after a couple years of searching for the right car at the right price.

I wanted the marketing blue and white GTS, and finally found my "needle in the haystack"

Found a 1 owner 96 GTS with 87K miles. The Viper was the "poster" car for me, and I've wanted one since before I could drive.

Hit 90K in it this past weekend.

I realize that 90k is pretty high mileage for a Viper, but I'm curious how many others, that might be considered "high mileage", are out there.

Lane
    03 C5 Z06 - K&N filter, Corsa Sport Cat Back - Torch Red
    96 Viper GTS - Corsa Cat Back - Blue and White
    02 Honda S2000 - Fujita CAI, Invidia Single Cat Back, Comptech coils - Sebring Silver

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Arizona
    There's one in the local AZ club with over 100K on it. I know a person that has over 141K and still races it regularly.
    96 B/W GTS...... Blue is the quickest of all and didn't want to settle for RED

Enthusiast
    Great. Another garage queen thread. 90K miles is high? LMFAO what do you call the guys that actually drive theirs that have over 200K?

I love the "investment grade" Vipers that are worth 50% of MSRP 20 years later. Am I missing something?

Anywho, I have 65K on mine. Have too many vehicles to drive it all the time. But never hesitate.
    Red. Because I didn't have to settle for blue.

I definitely drive my cars. None are really "grarage queens"

190K on the S2000
    121K on the C5Z

I just didn't see hardly any high milers for sale when I was looking. Thought maybe there weren't many.
    02 Honda S2000 - Fujita CAI, Invidia Single Cat Back, Comptech coils - Sebring Silver

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    I look at Vipers for sale online every few days. Just like to see what's out there and what the prices go for. Ninety percent of what I see are very low mileage cars. My '02 only had 11,500 miles on it when I bought it last October. I've seen a number of 92-02 Vipers for sale with far fewer miles. Plenty of garage queens out there.
    Last edited by Bill W; 06-28-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Just got back from my 3rd european trip this year with my Viper 93,650 Smiles I mean miles now

Oil pressure still at 3/4, No smoke or oil consumption since I fitted the catch cans.

Love it.

In the pics I've seen or your car, its really well done.

If I had a red and white one, I'd want it to look like yours.

My '98 had 34k when I bought it about 3 months ago. It was completely original and stock. It unfortunately still had the original plugs, wires, air filters, etc still on it. Luckily the oil had been changed regularly and it had brand new tires installed.

It had a bad O2 sensor. The ECU had a burned fuel injector driver and needed replaced, it ran awful when i bought it! The power steering pulley broke within 100 miles. The plugs, wires and such were just regular maintenance so I'm not counting those. But after 2k miles my trans is now stuck in 3rd gear and is getting rebuilt.

My viper hasn't been very reliable for me!

Enthusiast
    Stop complaining about garage queens! As a result of people limiting their mileage, I've landed a beautiful '94 with 17k miles on it! Prices don't seem to change much regardless of 15k miles or 65k mileage, it's more about what the seller wants to let it go for. So I'm more than happy that the market allowed a 17k miled 94 that looks as good as new be available to me! Just getting it up to Canada seems to be a major pain in the ass though! One thing after another!! "Now fill out that it was in USD" .. "Now fill out their EIN number" "now fill out" etc.. uh YI YI just want the damn car already!!

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by lane_viper View Post
    In the pics I've seen or your car, its really well done.

If I had a red and white one, I'd want it to look like yours.
    Thanks IMG_20190622_180606.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Compared to a 3000 GT I once owned (one of the best cars I ever owned) with 300,000, OP's Viper has low miles and barley broken in.
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Beth Sewell
    VOA National President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston
    I split time between my G4 and Medusa but have a combined 104,000 Viper miles! G4 has about 72k and Medusa has about 32k!
    '08 Venom Red Roadster with ACR aero
    '08 Black with graphite stripe ACRX clone - gone to the great race track in the sky
    '10 White ACRX #18
    '14 White Medusa #1 of 10 w/ ViperExchange Dynamic Suspension

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    94K Now

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    This thread comes up every other month. most of the answers can be found with the search button. Lets make a "sticky thread" ?
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS
    2003 Comp Coupe FS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

The used to be a young lady in Georgia ( originally from New Orleans ) that not only had over 100,000 miles on her Viper, she also had over 100,000 miles on her second Viper and was working towards that goal on her third? Not sure if Mary is still with us but she was a Queen that never let anything sit in a garage!!
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    VA/MD/DC/DE

I got to meet Roy Sjoberg earlier this year, look him up if you haven't heard the name, he is a great guy. He said that he expected owners to run the cars hard and made sure that they were engineered to go 100k miles with that type of use without issue. In short, vipers were engineered to take abuse. I don't think many vipers are driven that hard, so they should easily go well beyond the 100k point without issue. Roy said that he has slimmed down to only a couple of cars with his Gen 1 roadster being his favorite. That car has almost 100k on it and the only issue is a fuel pump. Regarding mileage as it relates to the viper market, I think the original question about mileage was how many others in the with higher mileage are out there. My personal observations is that for the Gen 1/Gen 2 the bell curve peaks around 50k. Like others have said though, the Viper is an icon, so mileage doesn't really matter. Enjoy it.

Nowhere near the highest, but at 103k

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Alabama/Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    The used to be a young lady in Georgia ( originally from New Orleans ) that not only had over 100,000 miles on her Viper, she also had over 100,000 miles on her second Viper and was working towards that goal on her third? Not sure if Mary is still with us but she was a Queen that never let anything sit in a garage!!
    I hear Mary is doing well. A friend is going to visit with her in a week.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

That is great to hear, she is a great lady and one of the most passionate Viper Owners you will ever meet!!!! Appreciate the info 99RT10!
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    VA/MD/DC/DE
    Vipers , like 05-06 Ford GTs are built to run forever . I lost track, but think I had 11 Vipers from all Gens (though didn’t drive Gen 5 much before sale ). I’m guessing total of over 100,000 miles . I’ve had 4 GTs and no issues . A friend has a Ford GT over 150,000 and it’s like new.
    17 GTS-R, 92 Viper, (Lutz VIN 00002) , 06 Heritage Ford GT, 19 Ferrari 488 Pista,
    15 Lamborghini Aventador, 18 Ford GT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    Mary is indeed special. It should be said - she has a Viper passion of people a 1/3 her age. Drives her cars all the time and was in the 100K+ range already a while ago. She is truly amazing. Good call out.
    Viper Owners Association
    The Greatest Club on Earth!
    "Build it, and they will come"

Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    Hope you will keep us Updated, Apparently she's A VERY Special Lady & Viper Lover!
    13' SRT Viper, 00' RT/10 Viper, 18' LS500 Lexus, 15' RCF Lexus, 08' H2 Hummer