Enthusiast

Gen V buying hurdles

So today was the day that I've been dreaming about since I was about 10 years old when I had a blue gts viper with white stripes on my bedroom wall. I was to leave early from work, to get a check, to fly across the country, to inspect a car, to purchase a car, to drive that car 1000 miles back home. (I just listed my 03 cobra for sale and was supposed to be picking up a viper, my childhood dream car)

However my 2003 cobra with just under 43k absolutely trouble free daily driven miles for the past two and a half years decided to over heat on the way to the bank to pick that check up. After tearing apart the car for the past hour I found the culprit, a broken radiator fan. It looks like a rock hit it and the fan got stuck afterwords. (By chance my financial adviser made a small mistake so my wire didn't show up in time either but I'm hopefully picking up the car next week so it would not have made a difference, but Damnit I want my viper!) I am praying the dealership that I'm buying the viper from understands and doesn't sell the car out from under me. Luckily they have been great so far and have given no indication otherwise. I'm trying to stay positive and keep telling my self that I'm glad the Ol' girl is trying to put up a fight!

Sorry end rant what a long a frustrating day and I just needed to vent to my fellow car people, please delete if this is deemed not relevant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida
    Congrats on the soon to be dream car! Details on the new car? Do you have a deposit on it so they know you’re serious?
    Ryan - 14 Stryker Green Nth Moto Heads/Cam
    Past - 14 Stryker Green VE Stage II Heads/Cam, '16 ACR-E, '14 Anodized Carbon, '14 TA, Orange '03 Paxton vert w/coupe rear, Black '06 coupe w/SSG accents

Dreams never die easy, remember that.

Ronin, it looks like you bought the baddest GTSR on the planet! Bulitt if it’s meant to be it will happen. With the economy cooling Vipers ain’t flying off the shelves. Your dreams will come true! Please post pics when you pick it up.
    2014 Stryker Green GTS Viper (every option!) all carbon fiber interior and TA exterior, 2014 Range Rover Aintree green Autobiography, 2014 White Range Rover Full size (wife) 2005Nissan Xterra Off-road

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1107 View Post
    Ronin, it looks like you bought the baddest GTSR on the planet! Bulitt if it’s meant to be it will happen. With the economy cooling Vipers ain’t flying off the shelves. Your dreams will come true! Please post pics when you pick it up.
    Yes sir, i had the same dream as bullitt.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 98intrigue View Post
    Congrats on the soon to be dream car! Details on the new car? Do you have a deposit on it so they know you’re serious?

Its a 2013 gts red with billet stripes, laguna sepia interior, harmon kardon system, and track package 7500 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Dreams never die easy, remember that.
    Don't worry I'm not giving up that easily, been waiting over 20 years a few more months at the worst won't kill this dream.

****edit

Just spoke with the dealer this morning and got everything sorted and my deposit put down. I booked a new flight for next Friday and will be picking the car up then. As a side note I realized my other car's radiator fan would fit the cobra (turbo mustang bullitt) and swapped them over at 6 am this morning before the texas heat becomes unbearable and the cobra is back on the road. Whew it's been an interesting 24 hours to say the least
    Last edited by bullitt2735; 06-29-2019 at 09:37 AM.

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Houston
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt2735 View Post
    Its a 2013 gts red with billet stripes, laguna sepia interior, harmon kardon system, and track package 7500 miles
    Awesome spec. Sepia on red looks so good, and I'm biased on the billet stripes.

Where in TX are you?
    '13 GTS

Enthusiast
    Austin, about .8 of a mile away from Calvo, which might be a bad thing(for my wallet atleast)
    Last edited by bullitt2735; 06-29-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Enthusiast
    You're getting the one from Ford of Columbus, aren't you? I looked at it. Beautiful car, can't wait to see your pics!

Have a talk with your financial advisor. LOL!

Enthusiast
    Snake is home! The tracktape held up pretty well for the first few hundred miles until I got stuck in the rain and then it started to come apart unfortunately. Luckily it seems no new rock chips have appeared other than the two extremely small ones I found while inspecting the car. After having a solid 1100 miles done in two days the biggest surprises for me is that the steering is an absolute highlight of the car, heavy but direct. ( I knew I would love the power ofcourse) Tomorrow the car will get xpel wrapped front and partial roof. I also want to give a big shout out to member Steve-Indy who was a big help along through the process with things to look for and some general viper advice!IMG_20190706_172102_847.jpg
    Last edited by bullitt2735; 07-07-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Congratulations! Just please make sure you paint correct whatever you Xpel because you are incasing it for years and that temp tape leaves a sticky residue....
    2014 Stryker Green GTS Viper (every option!) all carbon fiber interior and TA exterior, 2014 Range Rover Aintree green Autobiography, 2014 White Range Rover Full size (wife) 2005Nissan Xterra Off-road

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Happy to hear that you got your new Snake home safely !!

Enjoy that fine machine.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Since it's red, you might want to consider having the whole car paint corrected (as noted above) and then have the whole car covered with the film. Red tends to change shades because of UV exposure, and if you have the whole car covered, when it comes time to swap out the film, you won't have a nasty surprise. One thing that is great about these films (especially the Suntek) is that it blocks UV rays. So, when the film comes off, you'll have a factory fresh paint job (or at least as fresh as it was when you put the film on).

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1107 View Post
    Congratulations! Just please make sure you paint correct whatever you Xpel because you are incasing it for years and that temp tape leaves a sticky residue....
    Already planned for paint correction first before the wrap!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Since it's red, you might want to consider having the whole car paint corrected (as noted above) and then have the whole car covered with the film. Red tends to change shades because of UV exposure, and if you have the whole car covered, when it comes time to swap out the film, you won't have a nasty surprise. One thing that is great about these films (especially the Suntek) is that it blocks UV rays. So, when the film comes off, you'll have a factory fresh paint job (or at least as fresh as it was when you put the film on).
    Hmm I hadn't thought about wrapping the whole car because I don't particularly love the way ppf looks and just wanted protect the areas most likely to get chipped. Now you have me worried about doing a partial ppf wrap

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    I don't know if it's the same on these cars as it is others, but any color that is UV sensitive will show a discoloration when you remove the wrap. That's one of the reasons it's harder to get someone to repaint a red car repair and offer a color-match guarantee on it. I've seen a hundred cars with a re-painted quarter panel that looked perfect, and then two or three years later it didn't match up with the rest of the red car at all. Might be different with today's clear-coats, but if it were me, I'd spring for the extra few hundred and have the whole thing done. The Suntek looks really nice (some will say Xpel looks nice, too) and why have half your car looking one way, and the other half looking another? Just my $0.02

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Unless garage lighting fades the paint there is little doubt mine wont fade. Number of hours in direct sunlight is pretty small.

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    Congratulations, nice pair! I too have a SN95 convertible (wish it was a Cobra ) and my Viper

IMG_2720.jpg

Enthusiast
    Got the car back from paint correction, ppf and ceramic coat. Decided to hold off on the full car ppf for now but I might do it in the future.

20190715_161315.jpg

20190715_161304.jpg

20190715_161416.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Houston

Enjoyed reading this ... Was smiling to myself when you mentioned your current car decided to do something unexpected when you were trying to land your new one. I don't know how they know, but it seems they do. Pleased it all worked out!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen3CoupeTX View Post
    I don't know how they know, but it seems they do. Pleased it all worked out!

Had a cobra buddy send me this when it happened, definitely helped lighten my mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0

badass, do the lowering caps next.20160227_103204.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20160227_103204.jpg

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcorn View Post
    badass, do the lowering caps next.
    Already have them in the garage! I'm holding off for a little bit though as I'm moving across the country in a few weeks and I'm going drive the viper on the trip
    Last edited by bullitt2735; 07-15-2019 at 09:36 PM.